Train 30 to 91 connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanDiegan

Service Attendant
I recently booked a trip from Chicago to Columbia SC with a same day connection from train 30 (Capitol Limited) to train 91 (Silver Star). I have teen checking train status on the Amtrak app the last few days and notice that train 91 had been departing on time just a few minutes before train 30 arrives late. Do they not hold train 91 for connecting passengers ?

I am under the impression that the passengers missing the connection to 91 are put on 97. Since you are going to Columbia, and 97 does not stop there, I am not sure what they will do.
For a while, Amtrak allowed the connection from 30 to 91, then they did not for a while, and now they do again. When 91 still had a diner, I connected to it from 30 a few times.

Last edited:
They are allowing it now. I booked a roomette from Chicago to Columbia departing May 8th and it was a permitted connection. Train 91 has been departing just minutes before train 30 has been arriving. One time it waited. I’m guessing maybe there weren’t any connecting passengers that had to use 91 on the other days ?

I am under the impression that the passengers missing the connection to 91 are put on 97. Since you are going to Columbia, and 97 does not stop there, I am not sure what they will do.
For a while, Amtrak allowed the connection from 30 to 91, then they did not for a while, and now they do again. When 91 still had a diner, I connected to it from 30 a few times.

Penny, you might want to double check that last sentence. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve made this connection a few times. I’ve never had too big of an issue with it.

If you miss connect see if they will route you to Florence on 97 and you can get a Southeastern Stages from there on. Or if I’m in town call me I’ll help you out.

At least in the case of Chicago(dunno if it's the same in DC), it seems like more and more except in limited cases in recent years at Chicago Union Station, that Amtrak hasn't been holding outbound trains for connecting passengers from other arriving trains to allow them to connect to a different departing train. I wonder if Amtrak sometimes does this in other places where passengers often connect between trains, such as DC and LA? Seems like the exception(per checking on juckins.net ) is Portland, where I notice to a greater extent Amtrak has sometimes held up a departing train 28(Empire Builder eastbound), to allow train 14 passengers(Coast Starlight going north) to connect to that train going east.

Like others said, Amtrak would probably allow you to travel outbound on train 97, if you miss a departing train 91 going out of DC. Reminds me of how for passengers who miss the 30 Capitol Limited departing Chicago and going east, that they allow those passengers if they want to(anyone between Chicago and Cleveland) to ride train 48(Lake Shore Limited) instead. Personally I wish there was a greater window of time between 30's arrival time(1:05pm) and 91's departure(3:05pm), to make me feel easy I'd make this connection on the same day. But that's just my opinion.

I'll allow those who more often travel out of DC, to comment what Amtrak tends to do on how they accommodate passengers from a late train 30 into DC, onto outbound train 91. I would hope they'd provide bussing from a certain Carolinas stop if say one's destination was along train 91(i.e. Columbia, SC), and the passenger had to get off somewhere to catch a bus that'd take them to that other city/town properly. I.e. passenger got off at Florence, and a bus ran that'd take those passenger(s) from Florence Amtrak station west to Columbia. Who knows if such bus service exists, myself?

I've attempted this connection three times and made it twice. The once I did not I was put on 97 and the 6097 thruway bus to reach Tampa. Looking at the last few months of records, it seems to be doing relatively well. Most missed connections appear to have occurred in a few periods of consecutive dates, one of which is ongoing. It is not a certainty either way, but for this reason it would make sense to check whether the connection was successful on the days immediately leading up to your trip (not that you could necessarily change much at that point).

As to holding connections, it is still done occasionally. A few days ago I was at Roosevelt Road in Chicago and observed that the CZ and SWC both arrived just after the CL's scheduled departure time, which waited for connecting passengers. It also has to be considered that it is not simply a matter of waiting on the arriving train, as time has to be allowed to transfer baggage as well as potentially passengers with disabilities, etc. Even if they were on the same platform, arriving at 2:55 for a 3:05 departure would likely require a few minute departure hold.

What happens if the connection is missed and there is no alternative?

Say I were to go from Boston to Seattle on a guaranteed ticket and missed the connection in Chicago what would likely happen?

I see that trip in my future.

What happens if the connection is missed and there is no alternative?

Say I were to go from Boston to Seattle on a guaranteed ticket and missed the connection in Chicago what would likely happen?

I see that trip in my future.
They would most likely send you on the next day's train and accommodate you in a hotel in the meantime.

If you're Lucky you will be booked into a Room if Available, otherwise you'll be downgraded to Coach for theLoooooong 2 Day/2Night Trip.

Lots of folks do a Layover in Chicago to ensure their connections since Chicago is a Bottle Neck for both East and Westbound Connections.

It's a Crapshoot, basically you bet on Amtrak if you do a same day Connection in the Windy City.

I have found the westbound connection in Chicago (LSL/CL/Cardinal to EB/CZ/SWC/TE) to be quite reliable. (It's never failed me, anyway.) Eastbound, not so much - there's less time between arrival and departure (with the exception of the LSL) and the western trains can be VERY late.

It's a Crapshoot, basically you bet on Amtrak if you do a same day Connection in the Windy City.

I've rolled the dice and won twice, but both times it was a connection from a northbound City of New Orleans to a long-distance Western train (Southwest Chief, Empire Builder).

Edit To Add: Oh, forgot about the one going eastbound. Texas Eagle connecting same-day to Capitol Limited bound for Washington, DC...with my niece and nephew (then 9 and 11) in a Bedroom. Made the connection with enough time for a shoe shine and a run to CVS. It was a guaranteed connection (AGR two-zone redemption), but, yes, I was nervous!

Thanks. I edited. You knew what I meant but I did not say what I meant. I would like to blame the wine. ;)

I know you think you understood what you thought I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what I said was not what I meant!

I have ridden the CL many many times. Its been late or really late as many times as being on time. But its reasonable to make that connection. I personally book SM to be safer. Hopefully it will be ok for you.

I book the 30-97 connection for the extra time (not the meal service). Not relaxing to have high blood pressure during the entire trip on the Cap wondering if we can make the next train. It's unpredictable if Amtrak holds for connections or not - there's likely a few factors they have to weigh (how many connecting pax...length of delay....crews... what reaccommodations are available etc). When we took 30 just to WAS some years ago it was held in Chicago for two hours awaiting connections on I think the Zephyr. Even with the padding inherent in the schedule, if we had a 3 pm connection at WAS, it would have been blown.

Back