Did I get a bad room?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kbyrdleroydogg

Train Attendant
I modified an existing reservation so I'm on a Viewliner train going from Chicago to NYC Penn Station. No transfers or waiting in a lounge for another train. This is the first time I've ever been on a Viewliner train. I got room 11 by the coffee station and shower room. I'm traveling solo.
Is this a bad room? Is there congestion on this spot? Should I get a middle room?

It might be a bit noisy outside your room in the morning by the coffee, but otherwise it's fine. The shower is rarely used on a single overnight trip.

You can call to see if anything else is available, but my guess is not.

As a bonus, the SCA is directly across from the shower, so close by.

When I get a room I don't want, I phone to change it. I mainly ride the 2-level Superliner trains and like a downstairs room. I've always been able to get one when phoning in. I'm with you, I wouldn't want a room right by the coffee station and shower. Make a call and see if you can change it. I also wouldn't want a room at the end of the carriage, noise from the pneumatic (or whatever they're called) doors, which doesn't look to be an issue on Viewliners. Here's a link to sleeping car maps: http://www.trainweb.org/crocon/sleeperplans.html

On my trips on the Lake Shore I don't recall the shower being used at all and when I have used a viewliner shower (on the Crescent) I don't think it generates much noise unless you are in the shower. I have never been in roomette 11 and am usually in 1-6. I don't hear much corridor noise on viewliners. I have never witnessed congestion at the coffee station. My impression is that you will be fine.

I was in #10 about a month ago and I did not hear any excess noise from the coffee station or the shower. You should be ok.

Jim

I wouldn't worry about corridor noise. These days, unless a couple of passengers are 'getting loud' in the hallway, you won't hear them. Having quick access to the coffee can be beneficial. As for the shower 'crowd', I rarely see used towels in the bag in the shower when I wander down the hallway to shower when I get up. So there won't be any door banging, etc. Only once in the 20+ years the Viewliners have been rolling have I had to move someones' giant sized luggage out of the shower so I could use it. But 2 or 3 times, I've had to move the Amtrak-special 'giant trash bag' out of the shower...all in the past 4-5 years. I make it a point to NOT ride in the Boston section sleeper on 448/449 as it's up front and too much horn noise. Since discontinuing the Boston baggage car, it's the first car behind the locomotive(s) and sleeper passengers get their giant luggage 'checked' on the sleeper. Spare roomette? Doubtful. Shower? Sure thing, I suspect. But then, this summer, there's NO Boston sleeper and it's now the 3rd New York sleeper at the rear due to CSX trackwork on the line and 448/449 is a train only 2 days per week.

My only complaint about roomette #11 is the somewhat rougher ride due to proximity to the trucks. I've caught #11 or #12 a couple of times through the years. I'd willingly ride in either room again.

Is it possible to call and get a different room? If there's more than one sleeper on the train, there may be a lower-numbered roomette in the other car(s) or even the same car due to cancellations. But be warned...modifying your reservation gets current-pricing, which may be either higher or lower than what you paid. Don't be surprised if they want another $100 to switch rooms as prices escalate closer to departure date.

As folks are saying you can call and see if another room is open. If not don't worry. There is not a lot of traffic for either the coffee (since that's available in the lounge where breakfast is available for sleeping car passengers) nor the shower since you leave Chicago late, (on our recent LSL trip we showered at home before leaving) and then, you arrive the next day at NYP so it made sense to wait and shower at the hotel. Really loved the LSL, hope you enjoy the ride!

As folks are saying you can call and see if another room is open. If not don't worry. There is not a lot of traffic for either the coffee (since that's available in the lounge where breakfast is available for sleeping car passengers) nor the shower since you leave Chicago late, (on our recent LSL trip we showered at home before leaving) and then, you arrive the next day at NYP so it made sense to wait and shower at the hotel. Really loved the LSL, hope you enjoy the ride!

No noise issue from shower or coffee. But you are near the end of the car, so you lurch sideways (or up and down, when that happens, more rarely) much more than if you were in the middle of the car. (You can do the geometry on a napkin.)

Last edited by a moderator:
About three years ago I slept so soundly on the Lake Shore leaving Chicago that I didn't wake up until just before 9:00 a.m., had to leap up, get dressed quickly and rush to the dining car so as not to miss breakfast. Of course now there is no dining car - just a packaged meal car. I think this was the latest that I have slept on a train ever.

No noise issue from shower or coffee. But you are near the end of the car, so you lurch sideways (or up and down, when that happens, more rarely) much more than if you were in the middle of the car. (You can do the geometry on a napkin.)

No geometry needed. Think of the teeter totter we rode as a kid. The middle didn't go up and down (almost) at all.

Consider an unusually wide or high bump of 1". At the trucks/bolster, it moves 1" as the pivot point is the other bolster. In the middle, only 1/2". As the train progresses, the rear bolster/truck bumps 1" and the middle, 1/2". So, it's either one 'big jolt' or 2 'little jolts' to get over the bump. It's easier to get through the little ones.

For what it's worth, there used to be a 'monster jolt' on the former NYC/PC/CR/now NS line between Sandusky OH and Toledo that would bounce me off the walls while sound asleep in a roomette. They finally got it fixed perhaps 10-12 years ago, but last time I rode through there westbound in April, it 'got me' again! I was in either roomette #1 or #2 as I recall.

“....... “Is it possible to call and get a different room? If there's more than one sleeper on the train, there may be a lower-numbered roomette in the other car(s) or even the same car due to cancellations. But be warned...modifying your reservation gets current-pricing, which may be either higher or lower than what you paid. Don't be surprised if they want another $100 to switch rooms as prices escalate closer to departure date.”

I have called and changed rooms many times and have never been charged extra despite the current price being higher than what I paid. It seems that I have seen this discussed here before and the advice has been something along the lines of ...if you are told that you will have pay a higher fare to simply change rooms, you should hang up and call back. If that person also says it will cost more, you should politely ask to speak to a Supervisor.

But 2 or 3 times, I've had to move the Amtrak-special 'giant trash bag' out of the shower...all in the past 4-5 years

Where did you put the bag? On my Southbound Silver Meteor trip, the shower held the trash bag. Not sure about the Northbound trip into Washington; it was hard enough to get up and get dressed that early in the morning without taking a shower.

I've never had a problem having the SCA move anything out of the shower. Sadly, as much as I like the VL sleepers, they are sadly lacking storage space. As has been said here before, the key is "modify" the existing reservation not cancel and rebook.

Where did you put the bag? On my Southbound Silver Meteor trip, the shower held the trash bag. Not sure about the Northbound trip into Washington; it was hard enough to get up and get dressed that early in the morning without taking a shower.

In the hallway, of course. I put a giant rolling suitcase out there about 2 years ago as well. I naturally put them back in the shower when I left.

In the hallway, of course. I put a giant rolling suitcase out there about 2 years ago as well. I naturally put them back in the shower when I left.

Since the huge trash bag is paper, placing it back into the dressing area of the shower is going to result in a wet bottom to the bag. Or, do you towel dry the floor of that area when you leave? I don't think as a paying customer, leaving a gratuity for the SCA when I detrain, I ought to have to do that. And, whomever then moves that wet bottomed trash bag whenever could really have a genuine mess with which to deal.

I understand that the Viewliner Sleeping Cars have limited storage space, but in the shower? Particularly in the morning? And, the question still remains: where does one put this bag? In the hallway? OK, but if a customer is going through my Sleeping Car from theirs, they will have to "move/navigate around" this bag of trash while I am having my morning shower.

I always dry myself while still standing in the shower. Then layout the towel on the floor in the dressing area and stand on that while getting dressed. A quick swish with my foot in its moccassin to get any wet corners and the towel goes into the red bag. I follow the same routine in Superliner showers as well. The next passenger shouldn't have to deal with a wet floor and the SCA can't be everywhere at once, especially in the AM. It should be noted that I wear moccassins at home 100% of the time and I have an old pair of moccassins to use when traveling.

As for what happens if somebody wants to pass through the hallway while the bag or rolling suitcase is in the way? It's up to them to navigate around the obstruction.

Back