Cross Country Cafe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve seen apparently contradictory information on these and would welcome clarification.

Is it the case that the traditional four-to-a-table diner side of the CCC is the only one in use for passengers (in essence a half-size version of the regular Superliner dining car) and the C-shaped seating side is used only for staff break-out/storage? Or is the diner side reserved for sleeper passengers and the C-shaped seating side used by coach passengers? Like I say, I’ve seen both suggested and would welcome confirmation of the correct information.

Furthermore, whichever of the above is true, is the C-shaped seating side ever used as an overspill from the main dining area if the latter becomes too busy during a meal service?

So much depends on the train, the crew, and the season.

Maybe be used as a all-in-one car, dinner+lounge service. Maybe be just use as a dinner, or just as a lounge. When used as a lounge it may have snacks service or not.

Which trains are you traveling on and what month?

Amtrak is very loose with service levels. It a source of hair pulling among travelers.

So much depends on the train, the crew, and the season.

Maybe be used as a all-in-one car, dinner+lounge service. Maybe be just use as a dinner, or just as a lounge. When used as a lounge it may have snacks service or not.

Which trains are you traveling on and what month?

Amtrak is very loose with service levels. It a source of hair pulling among travelers.

Train 22, Dallas to Chicago. September/October. Sleeper passengers. Basically don’t want to have to sit in the C-seating.

Depends greatly on whether the CCC is being used in lieu of a diner (it has a full kitchen downstairs) with a working SSL providing the cafe downstairs....or if the CCC is doing both.....

From my experience the curved seat section isn’t used. Real waste of space. Be nice if they could always position that small area next to the door to the sleepers.

Retro fit a couple swivel seats and normal booths on other side and you’d have a small first class lounge. Capacity of only 12 but it wouldn’t cost much and the space isnt being used now as it is. Or better yet just 2 normal booths on each side.

One time, I was seated in the smaller sections with a couple of other table mates on the Capitol when it was being used as a full diner. It was for dinner, we were the only table in that section, and it was clear it was because the diner was somehow overbooked for that last seating.

As a side note, after we had finished our meal, but before our checks had been paid a conductor told us “you all need to move along, you’re really not supposed to be here.” To which I replied “you want us to leave before we pay our checks?” Amtrak service at its best!

I for the life of me can’t figure out why everyone acts like those outward tables are some demonic design, I sat in one for meal service a few times and thought it was quite comfortable. It’s still a table at a booth!

Back