Los Angeles Union Station and environs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year, 60yr old plus woman. I arrived late into LA and was staying across the road overnight, and had thought when I booked my accommodation , that I would be good to walk from the station to my digs.
When I walked outside with my walking stick and luggage, there was literally hundreds of people dossing down and several gangs of youths hanging around.
It was very late at night and I decided that I would not be walking so got a taxi, driver thought this was all very amusing and heckled me the whole time I was in the car.
Got to the front door of the Metro P and the night concierge literally dragged me in the door.
This was the only time I didn't feel safe on that trip.
I was very thankful that the guys saw me coming, gangs were on there way in my general direction by the time I got out of the taxi.
No sign of anyone in the morning when I ventured outside.
This year, I stayed closer to the airport and had no difficulties at all. Walked out of the station into my Uber and enjoyed the next few days.
Lovely station, but not after dark.
I travel solo, generally, and am from out of country.

During daylight hours, and if you remain alert, I don't think there is much problem in walking around the LAUS. But as someone who has lived my entire life in Los Angeles County (I'm almost 55 years old) I have to say that as soon as hubby retires and family obligations no longer hold us here, we are moving out of California. My beautiful home state is simply not livable/affordable for the middle class any longer, and increasing crime and homelessness here is absolutely a problem.

During daylight hours, and if you remain alert, I don't think there is much problem in walking around the LAUS. But as someone who has lived my entire life in Los Angeles County (I'm almost 55 years old) I have to say that as soon as hubby retires and family obligations no longer hold us here, we are moving out of California. My beautiful home state is simply not livable/affordable for the middle class any longer, and increasing crime and homelessness here is absolutely a problem.
But please dont move to Austin! LOL

Has anyone tried the new brew pub in the station? We’ll be passing through this fall before catching the Sunset and I’m anxious to try it. For us, an evening in that beautiful station sounds more appealing then wandering around the area.

269D8E06-E1CD-4622-9241-D881DE55CF0F.jpeg 0B90E884-3E4D-45D0-8FF3-DC0BAA545353.jpeg
Has anyone tried the new brew pub in the station? We’ll be passing through this fall before catching the Sunset and I’m anxious to try it. For us, an evening in that beautiful station sounds more appealing then wandering around the area.
Yes. I had a wonderful lunch there last December.

For those who are interested in such things It should be noted that the Twin Towers Correctional Center and the Los Angeles Police Department Metropolitan Detention Center are located a short distance from Union Station. If I recall correctly Twin Towers can be seen from the train. I have never visited either facility.

My wife and I will have a couple hours layover between trains 1 and 14 next Friday morning. We plan on walking over and have some breakfast at nearby Philippe's if the SL isn't too late getting into Union Station. I'll report on conditions afterwards when I have a chance!

If you are headed for Olvera St for eats, save some room for dessert and go to Mr. Churros--it's just off the main drag through the Olvera St area, and all of the vendors know it. Their churros are exceptional--not over-sweet, not greasy, just crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth soft on the inside. They do an unfilled one, but the filled ones take it to the next level--a cajeta that is slightly tangy caramel goodness is my go-to order. They also do things like tacos, but there's nowhere to really sit down, so I prefer eating my lunch or dinner elsewhere and going to Mr Churros for afters.

Oh, and a quick review of the brew-pub in the old Harvey House. First off, the remodeling is superb--a gorgeous addition to an already classic train station. No expense was spared, I would guess.

We've eaten there twice, with mixed results. If you are in the mood for bar snacks and a drink, it's more than fine. The pretzel balls and fried cauliflower were really good, the tater tots were, well, tater tots. They brew their own beer, which by brewpub standards was only okay. (We brew ourselves on and off, so we're beer snobs. Who knew that that was a thing!) It's well served, though, not over-gassy and not ice cold, so you can actually taste what you order. The stout was good, the pale ale had little pale ale character.

Our second visit, we needed a real meal, which was disappointing, unfortunately. The burger was not much better than the Amburger--which is good when you're on a train, less so when you order from a restaurant. The fish and chips disappointed as well--the fries had clearly been out of the fryer for a while, and the fish was coated in an industrial-strength batter. We didn't try the oysters--oysters seemed too much of a risk when you're traveling! But they are certainly well priced, especially at happy hour.

If you care about crowds and noise, check out the Dodgers schedule and be sure to avoid the pub before and after games. With all the lovely hard surfaces there, and music being played, the noise level is uncomfortable when it's crowded. I'd head for the Streamliner, their cocktail lounge adjacent, if the pub is too noisy for your taste.

Bottom line--come ogle the amazing renovation for sure, and if you're in the mood for a drink and a snack, I'd recommend it. Not so much for a meal, at least at this point. Maybe they will up their game in the future.

I had oysters during happy hour last year, and they were delicious and a great bargain. A fellow customer told me the place is typically mobbed during happy hour, and it can be a challenge to snag a seat at the bar, and get a bartender's attention.

....With all the lovely hard surfaces there, and music being played, the noise level is uncomfortable when it's crowded. I'd head for the Streamliner, their cocktail lounge adjacent, if the pub is too noisy for your taste.

Thanks for that tip, flitcraft. Looks like a great place for a Manhattan before boarding the Sunset. Too bad it’s not the Super Chief! From the photos, I think the old school Hollywood stars would approve, if not the current ones. Although, no doubt, they’ll be at LAX.

Back