Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop. Stop. Stop. That's how bad info gets spread. 
People who actually bothered to take the time to read the slides would have found that the title of the slide that presents the Amtrak Charger specs is

" [SIZE=39.3973px]Amtrak Long[/SIZE][SIZE=39.397333333333336px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=39.3973px]distance Charger (ALC42)[/SIZE] "

If that does not explain where the ALC comes from I have no idea what could be a more convincing argument.

So Peter is really not that far off in what he said - Amtrak appears to think it is "Amtrak Long-distance Charger - 4,200 HP continuous rating" in short ALC42.

If Siemens follows their own convention used so far, they might dub it as SCA-42 (Siemens Charger Amtrak - 4200HP) or maybe SCL-42 (L for long-distance), in line with SC-44 and SCB-40.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who actually bothered to take the time to read the slides would have found that the title of the slide that presents the Amtrak Charger specs is

" [SIZE=39.3973px]Amtrak Long[/SIZE][SIZE=39.397333333333336px]-[/SIZE][SIZE=39.3973px]distance Charger (ALC42)[/SIZE] "

If that does not explain where the ALC comes from I have no idea what could be a more convincing argument.

So Peter is really not that far off in what he said - Amtrak appears to think it is "Amtrak Long-distance Charger - 4,200 HP continuous rating" in short ALC42.

If Siemens follows their own convention used so far, they might dub it as SCA-42 (Siemens Charger Amtrak - 4200HP) or maybe SCL-42 (L for long-distance), in line with SC-44 and SCB-40.
I read the slides at least twice. I just didn't see that. 

So is the "bolt on nose", the same that nose that the Canada Rail unit uses?
I'm going to guess it's similar to what is on the P40/42's. Simply cause that's what they refer to them as. "Bolt on noses". 

It looks like they're either testing the Chargers or starting to deploy them on the Wolverine. I pass the Pontiac, MI station on the way home every night, and this evening 355 had a Charger on both ends. They hadn't backed into the station for boarding yet and most of the cars were behind trees and buildings further south with only the locomotives easily visible on either side of those, and I couldn't see if there was also a P42 inserted behind the Charger at the forward end. One of the Chargers had been sitting just north of the station for several days now, so I figured something might be up in the near future. Sadly couldn't stop to get any pictures today.

It looks like they're either testing the Chargers or starting to deploy them on the Wolverine. I pass the Pontiac, MI station on the way home every night, and this evening 355 had a Charger on both ends. They hadn't backed into the station for boarding yet and most of the cars were behind trees and buildings further south with only the locomotives easily visible on either side of those, and I couldn't see if there was also a P42 inserted behind the Charger at the forward end. One of the Chargers had been sitting just north of the station for several days now, so I figured something might be up in the near future. Sadly couldn't stop to get any pictures today.

Chargers have been deployed on 350/355. 364/365 are rumored to be next in line.

Well so far the rollout for the flagship MI services hasn’t gone well. 350 is now over an hour late because they were held in NBU for some reason.

Last edited:
Chargers have been deployed on 350/355. 364/365 are rumored to be next in line.

Well so far the rollout for the flagship MI services hasn’t gone well. 350 is now over an hour late because they were held in NBU for some reason.

Up to an hour and 41 minutes now. Ouch. Hopefully they get the kinks ironed out quickly, then get them on the rest of the Wolverines and the Blue Water. I'm taking 353 in mid-August.

Up to an hour and 41 minutes now. Ouch. Hopefully they get the kinks ironed out quickly, then get them on the rest of the Wolverines and the Blue Water. I'm taking 353 in mid-August.

If it relates to the PTC, it's sadly a common issue right now and no railroad is immune to PTC issues. Amtrak went the right way on the NEC by installing ACSES. No computer to load etc.

If it relates to the PTC, it's sadly a common issue right now and no railroad is immune to PTC issues. Amtrak went the right way on the NEC by installing ACSES. No computer to load etc.

Part of it might be PTC, I know Amtrak MoW was doing some work between NBU and NLS that day too which didn’t help.

Normally it’s the drawbridge near 502 on the Chicago Line that causes the delays.

The picture of the New Acela-2s brings up a question. Noticed that the front coupler shown was a pin and socket type coupler. Hopefully this will not mean that a -2 can only be towed at 10 MPH or less as the -1s are limit speeds. Either there should be a "H" coupler adapter stowed on each end of the -2s or Amtrak will need adapter couplers on all motors and locos assigned to the NEC? First option IMHO is better as any freight loco will be able to attach to a broken down Acela-2.

Amtrak needs every decision to allow for the greatest ability to maintain schedule not only for a broken down train but to not delay all other trains in a broken down train. This applies to all type of equipment on the NEC including commuter rail equipment.

Part of it might be PTC, I know Amtrak MoW was doing some work between NBU and NLS that day too which didn’t help.

Normally it’s the drawbridge near 502 on the Chicago Line that causes the delays.

MOW will do some damage if need be.

The picture of the New Acela-2s brings up a question. Noticed that the front coupler shown was a pin and socket type coupler. Hopefully this will not mean that a -2 can only be towed at 10 MPH or less as the -1s are limit speeds. Either there should be a "H" coupler adapter stowed on each end of the -2s or Amtrak will need adapter couplers on all motors and locos assigned to the NEC? First option IMHO is better as any freight loco will be able to attach to a broken down Acela-2.

Amtrak needs every decision to allow for the greatest ability to maintain schedule not only for a broken down train but to not delay all other trains in a broken down train. This applies to all type of equipment on the NEC including commuter rail equipment.

While IMO the above post belongs in the New Acela thread I'll try to provide some insight.

The new HST's are extremely European. e.g. 50/50 seating, centered engineers console, etc. Part of the European design is the stlye of coupler shown. In Europe it's very common to see two trainsets coupled together and in service.

I am certain they will carry an adapter in each power head.

I saw a remarkable us of Scharfenberg Couplers on a pair of Siemens new ICE sets this morning in Amsterdam Centraal. ICE 105 to Basel SBB was scheduled to be a pair of ICE sets. I took it to Frankfurt am Main Flughafen.

The storage yard at Amsterdam apparently cannot store two ICE sets coupled together in a single storage track. So they simply brought the train into the platform in two pieces, hitched them together, loaded them and off they went. The joining of the two sets took less than a couple of minutes involving a couple of button pushes and a brake test. Even the clamshells that cover the couplers can be opened and closed remotely with the push of a button!

Amtrak 364/365 (Blue Water) is now equipped with Chargers. This was my first chance to spend any significant time around one and I was impressed. General public probably didn’t even notice.

Back