AGR Website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up.

About a week ago Amtrak combined the AGR site with Amtrak.com and I honestly can't stand it. But that's my two cents and they didn't ask for my input. Lol!

Thanks for the info. I investigated.

Seriously, I need to agree to new terms and conditions every time I log in? If so, at the very least, it would be appropriate to put the date of the terms and conditions in that box where I say I have read them.

And paste is disabled in the password field. Ordinarily, my password manager would enter the password, but on a first visit, I needed to enter it manually. What does disabling paste accomplish other than inconveniencing a paying customer?

And it seems to me that a higher priority than combining the web sites (not saying that it's good or bad to combine them) would be to display all the customer's reservations, not just those made on the web site. But as Acela150 said, they didn't ask for my input.

Thanks for the info. I investigated.

Seriously, I need to agree to new terms and conditions every time I log in? If so, at the very least, it would be appropriate to put the date of the terms and conditions in that box where I say I have read them.

And paste is disabled in the password field. Ordinarily, my password manager would enter the password, but on a first visit, I needed to enter it manually. What does disabling paste accomplish other than inconveniencing a paying customer?

And it seems to me that a higher priority than combining the web sites (not saying that it's good or bad to combine them) would be to display all the customer's reservations, not just those made on the web site. But as Acela150 said, they didn't ask for my input.

(edited to remove the comment about the T&C... that happened to me on the old site and still does. So badly coded.)

As to the paste, I agree with you completely and so use a Chrome extension that disables that. Not sure of the profanity rules on this site, so let's just say you can Google "don't mess with paste" and it will come up for you. There are also versions for other browsers.

Last edited:
I had problems logging into amtrak.com using my AGR login on my Firefox web browser (Windows 10 computer). I noticed that my Amtrak APP on my iPhone was still working so I decided to delete all the cookies on my Firefox web browser related to amtrak (*.amtrak.com, *.amtrakguestrewards.com, etc.) That did the trick. ;)

I just started having problems "loading" Amtrak Guest Rewards As of 6/5 and 6/6/19, when I sign on to Amtrak.com on either the IPhone App or on my PC Chrome Browser, Amtrak.com comes up with all my reservations made online or via phone call with no problem. If I try to transfer on the app or on my PC, it asks me to sign on and then stays in the "LOADING" status forever and never goes to the AmtrakGuestRewards either on the IPhone app or on my PC Chrome browser. Is this just me or are others experiencing this. Up until now I have had no problem using the app or Chrome to get to Amtrak Guest Rewards.

I just started having problems "loading" Amtrak Guest Rewards As of 6/5 and 6/6/19...

Not sure if it is related, but I've had a problem for over a month where multi-ride tickets purchased through the iPhone app show up right after purchase, but then disappear the next time I look (the next day). Reported to Amtrak.

I'm still having problems even after deleting cookies and cache, restarting the computer. On a Mac.

Safari, Firefox and Chrome all give the aptly-named "infinite loading problem"

Also, when I log into Amtrak.com, clicking on the AGR link logs me out and I have to log in again. Once logged in, the spinning wheel continues forever.

I'm still having problems even after deleting cookies and cache, restarting the computer. On a Mac.

Safari, Firefox and Chrome all give the aptly-named "infinite loading problem"

Also, when I log into Amtrak.com, clicking on the AGR link logs me out and I have to log in again. Once logged in, the spinning wheel continues forever.

I'm still having the same problem on both my Windows 7 Pro computers. Most likely, this is the result of failure to regression test (fully prove they didn't 'break' something unrelated to the changes) some new 'enhancements' on their website. They must have broken it 'good'...even my Android cell phone has the exact same problem when I try to go to the Guest Rewards portion form their app. But that takes me right back to the regular Amtrak screen and looks for my logon again. So much for 'quality' IT tech support.

I'm still having the same problem on both my Windows 7 Pro computers. Most likely, this is the result of failure to regression test (fully prove they didn't 'break' something unrelated to the changes) some new 'enhancements' on their website. They must have broken it 'good'...even my Android cell phone has the exact same problem when I try to go to the Guest Rewards portion form their app. But that takes me right back to the regular Amtrak screen and looks for my logon again. So much for 'quality' IT tech support.

Same here still!

I have a Windows 7 desktop and I use Chrome. I continue to have no issues. I guess I consider myself lucky.

I would have considered it a problem on my end because I use a Mac and the Apple browser, Safari.

However, it also occurs on my iPad, and using two other browsers.

Here's the mail I tried to send via the Amtrak website for feedback:

"Having difficulty navigating Amtrak/AGR site. Running Mac OS 10.14 and Safari browser.

Going to Amtrak.com I can log in via pop-up window. Point balance shows at top of page. Clicking on "Guest Rewards" logs me out and I get the spinning gear "loading" window. This continues indefinitely. Clicking on "Sign in" takes me back to the amtrak.com page after credentials submitted.

Clicking on "buy/transfer points" *without* signing in gives another spinning gear "loading" window. I am unable to purchase/transfer points. Clicking on "Hotels, Cars & Cruises" asks me (at the bottom of the page) to sign in. Clicking on that link does nothing. Opening that link in a new window takes me back to the "hotels, etc" page.

Things I've done:

1) Rebooted computer
2) Deleted alll cache and cookies from Amtrak Guest Rewards and Amtrak.com
3) Tried other browsers (Firefox and Chrome). Internet Explorer is not an option because a) Microsoft no longer supports it and b) not available on Mac.
4) Tried same thing on another computer with same issues (also a Mac)
5) Tried on iPad. Same issues.

Please advise as to how to proceed.

Thank you

George K"
Tried to send the message, but I got into an endless loop for sending via Safari. Trying the same thing via Firefox gave an error message.

At the end of the second decade of the 21st century, you'd think that programmers could do better.

At the end of the second decade of the 21st century, you'd think that programmers could do better.

Programmers generally have minimal control over requirement vetting, quality assurance testing, production migration scheduling, and pass/fail decision making. If you need a scapegoat to eviscerate maybe you should start with the middle managers who authorized and approved these changes.

Programmers generally have minimal control over requirement vetting, quality assurance testing, production migration scheduling, and pass/fail decision making.
Fair enough, but deciding which changes should be made, and their scheduling is part of the middle managers' jobs. Those have nothing to do with whether a page loads or a click works. That falls on the programmers/web designers, doesn't it?

For example, a merchant wants to implement a new way that customers can buy products online. He hires a web designer to change his website. Said web designer makes new web page and says, "Okay! I'm done. See you later."

Page doesn't work. Who's responsible, the merchant or the web designer?

Am I missing something?

Fair enough, but deciding which changes should be made, and their scheduling is part of the middle managers' jobs. Those have nothing to do with whether a page loads or a click works. That falls on the programmers/web designers, doesn't it? For example, a merchant wants to implement a new way that customers can buy products online. He hires a web designer to change his website. Said web designer makes new web page and says, "Okay! I'm done. See you later." Page doesn't work. Who's responsible, the merchant or the web designer? Am I missing something?
I seem to be missing the part where you explain why you're equating a large corporate entity modifying densely interconnected enterprise software with a single merchant hiring a third party web designer.

Excellent. Any suggestions for me (tried again today)?

iMac, MacOS Mojave (10.14.5), Chrome....
No idea, but I'm with DA about your focus on blaming the programmers. Being a programmer, I know that I need good, doable requirements and good QA and Line of Business testers to make sure that my applications don't go out to the users with <major> flaws. Do I makes mistakes, sure, but with good testers, most of them are caught before the application is put into production.

Still no luck with the AGR website. I even gave it a 'maybe it was a Windows update that screwed things up' test. I back up my SSD with Windows and My Documents on it monthly. So I popped in last months' SSD (I have them on slide-drawers along with my bulk storage 3TB HD). Same problem. So it isn't a Windows update-related problem. That explains why my Android cell phone has the same problem on the AGR web site. Anyone else have the problem on the AGR website on the cell phones, Android or Iphone?

It's been more than a week since I started encountering the problem. I even tried to email them both from the AGR side of things as well as the Amtrak side. The emails fail as well with some kind of screwy message. I have to remember to call them next week.

Back