Tips for a Amtrak Coach newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd have to pay me a hefty sum to get me to do an overnight in coach again. Even just one night is terrible.

The seats, while large, don't recline far enough and have little/no back support. I can't rest my head against the window because the jostling and bumping gives me a headache. Luckily, I'm short enough that I can put the footrest up so that it's even with the seat and curl up on the footrest and seat itself. (That's assuming I'm not sitting next to a stranger. On that note, I hate cuddling up with a stranger for 24+ hours.)

On top of that, it's often too hot (in the winter), too bright, and too noisy. I've worn earplugs with headphones, and it did nothing to block out chatty people, the noise associated with people departing/boarding, snoring, snack wrappers, and crying children.
I haven't done this for awhile, but I used to buy 2 coach seats. Now--- a bedroom is a must for overnight. But never Poo Poo the idea of buying two coach seats
&

According to Amtrak's Blue Book two coach tickets only guarantee two connecting seats if you're physically disabled or morbidly obese. Otherwise your ability to sit alone is at the discretion of the staff. The book claims this is because Amtrak staff simply can't handle the apparently difficult task of having to explain that you bought two tickets to another passenger. This seems like an odd excuse for trains with reserved seating, but I've called Amtrak myself and been told the same thing as the book. They also claimed that buying two tickets for the same train in the same name on the Amtrak website risks being auto-cancelled by the reservations system.

The best I can do is to say this--- in 1978 (which was a long time ago I realize), I had a heated (but quiet) "battle" with the train conductor about my 2 tickets that were linked to my 2 rail passes. I stood firm. They radioed ahead checking my reservations and if---and how I paid. They finally relented and it might only be due to my ability to argue quietly and in a non-threatening manner. But I kept my 2 seats. Things may be different today but I do this every so often on Buses because I like to sit alone.

Last edited:

WOW---- This is awesome information. I don't know how you guys find this kind of stuff, but knowing the rules helps tremendously when you want to sidestep those rules. In regard to letter "e" --- I wonder how there could be anyone in a position where they are standing on an all reserved Amtrak train. I could see where there might be some situation where the train could be full I guess. It would be up to the person with the 2 tickets to "fight" for the seats.

Amtrak does occasionally overbook "All-Reserved" trains. I've been in coach on a train where conductors were seating passengers in the lounge car and asking if they could use your seats when you went to have lunch in the diner.

How on earth do they determine "obesity caused by a disability" vs. "obesity because you use frosting as a condiment"?

The seats, while large, don't recline far enough and have little/no back support. I can't rest my head against the window because the jostling and bumping gives me a headache. Luckily, I'm short enough that I can put the footrest up so that it's even with the seat and curl up on the footrest and seat itself. (That's assuming I'm not sitting next to a stranger. On that note, I hate cuddling up with a stranger for 24+ hours.)

On top of that, it's often too hot (in the winter), too bright, and too noisy. I've worn earplugs with headphones, and it did nothing to block out chatty people, the noise associated with people departing/boarding, snoring, snack wrappers, and crying children.

I haven't done this for awhile, but I used to buy 2 coach seats. Now--- a bedroom is a must for overnight. But never Poo Poo the idea of buying two coach seats.

Since you quoted my post...

Purchasing two coach seats doesn't fix any of the problems I listed, other than cuddling up with a stranger. The seats are still uncomfortable, and it's still too loud and bright.

Since you quoted my post...

Purchasing two coach seats doesn't fix any of the problems I listed, other than cuddling up with a stranger. The seats are still uncomfortable, and it's still too loud and bright.

OK-- Maybe this will help. When traveling anywhere, either by car---plane--- or train, you should always think about how people traveled in the 1800's from Ohio to California. They WALKED. They didn't ride in the wagon and I doubt if they complained about lighting, noise, headaches or comfort. Get real and be thankful for what you DO have.

Hope this helps

OK-- Maybe this will help. When traveling anywhere, either by car---plane--- or train, you should always think about how people traveled in the 1800's from Ohio to California. They WALKED. They didn't ride in the wagon and I doubt if they complained about lighting, noise, headaches or comfort. Get real and be thankful for what you DO have.

Hope this helps

tenor.gif

Or, instead of pretending it's the 1800s and I don't have a choice in the matter, I can just book a sleeper ticket or plane ticket. Which I do.

Hope this helps
I have seen letters written by stage passengers in the 1800s. They did complain about the comfort, hours of operation (some stages ran through the night), food and other passengers.

Yeah--- I guess The Hateful Eight had something to complain about alright. There ARE always complainers, I guess.

Yeah--- I guess The Hateful Eight had something to complain about alright. There ARE always complainers, I guess.
I don’t complain about coach. I’m proactive and don’t ride in coach. I simply listed my reasons for choosing sleeper/plane over coach.

I don’t know why you’re so bothered by this. Different people have different preferences. So what if people don’t like coach? It doesn’t affect you personally.

I don’t complain about coach. I’m proactive and don’t ride in coach. I simply listed my reasons for choosing sleeper/plane over coach.

I don’t know why you’re so bothered by this. Different people have different preferences. So what if people don’t like coach? It doesn’t affect you personally.

I just thought it would be a good time to make a comment about how fragile people are today compared to our ancestors. Don't take it so hard.

Fragile compared with our ancestors? I don't think so. My grandmother (born around 1880), who survived 12 pregnancies and raised a houseful of kids without any modern conveniences (including indoor plumbing) would have balked at spending the night without even an armrest between herself and some stranger. As I do.

I have seen letters written by stage passengers in the 1800s. They did complain about the comfort, hours of operation (some stages ran through the night), food and other passengers.
If you're ever in San Fransisco, visit the Wells Fargo HQ where they have a museum of the company history. It includes a mockup of one of the stagecoaches the company ran back in the day. Get about 5 or 6 friends and pile into it to get an idea of how an old fashioned stagecoach compares to an Amtrak coach.

The one issue that nobody mentions is the price. It's hard for me to justify spending more per night than I would for a night at a 5 star hotel in Chicago. Less meals. I think the beds in the roomettes and family bedrooms, the only two I have tried, are about as comfortable as a camping mattress. I guess I'm lucky I can fall asleep anywhere though.

The one issue that nobody mentions is the price. It's hard for me to justify spending more per night than I would for a night at a 5 star hotel in Chicago. Less meals. I think the beds in the roomettes and family bedrooms, the only two I have tried, are about as comfortable as a camping mattress. I guess I'm lucky I can fall asleep anywhere though.

Amtrak does the best with the budget they have. If you want REAL CHANGE--- vote for politicians who support Amtrak. That's the ONLY way. Vote in EVERY election

My sister, on the other hand, is an incredibly fussy sleeper who never sleeps well in hotels or other people's homes, and often has problems sleeping at her own place said she got (and gets) the best sleep of her life in an Amtrak roomette. We attribute it to the gentle rocking motion. I say it's like getting a massage all night long. Different strokes for different folks.

WOW---- This is awesome information. I don't know how you guys find this kind of stuff, but knowing the rules helps tremendously when you want to sidestep those rules. In regard to letter "e" --- I wonder how there could be anyone in a position where they are standing on an all reserved Amtrak train. I could see where there might be some situation where the train could be full I guess. It would be up to the person with the 2 tickets to "fight" for the seats.

The Northeast Regional routinely has standing room only in the coaches going from Philadelphia to New York City at morning rush hour because people use it as a commuter train--faster (and more comfortable if you do get a seat) than the SEPTA/NJT trip. You are guaranteed a seat only if you spring for business class.

And good luck fighting with the conductor for an extra seat on the Regional--they already have a crowded train and I don't think they are in any mood to have someone argue (even politely) that they can have two seats.

Best thing Amtrak could do to improve its coach service is allow customers to reserve seats when booking. Should not be that difficult or expensive to implement. VIA Rail does it and no worries about getting two seats together etc.

I could see some people having a problem with tax dollars subsidizing someone occupying 2 seats for their comfort, and leaving someone who wants to travel without a seat.
If it's an all-reserved train how is anybody going without a seat unless Amtrak screws up? How does refusing to sell two seats to one passenger improve the subsidy situation if it creates more empty seats by disuading people like me from using Amtrak coach in the future? I've seen no evidence that selling two coach seats to one passenger is the kind of thing anti-Amtrak types are tracking and attacking.

Back