Coach vs Sleeper for Single Overnight Segments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

When you take multi-segment trips (where each segment is a single overnight), do you go sleeper all the way or do you mix some coach accommodations in there?

I've used this example before, but if I were to take a trip to Denver, CO, I would take the Northeast Regional, Capitol Limited and then California Zephyr. The CL and CZ segments are a single overnight apiece, with a long layover in Chicago. Now, I could take coach for one and sleeper for the other, coach for both or sleeper for both if I wanted to.

As far as I know, the only scenario where I wouldn't be able to access the lounge in Chicago would be if I rode coach for both segments.

How have y'all done trips such as that?

I always book a roomette even for daytime travel without an overnight. It's worth it to me and hubby to get the included meals and have a somewhat private retreat. If I had the big bucks, I'd do a bedroom for all overnight stretches and roomettes for daytime-only legs. Alas, I've only been on one trip in a bedroom, and that was only because my mom came along and was willing to pay for it.

I book coach for short journeys. Boarding as I do in Spokane means middle of the night boarding, either direction, but if I am going to Seattle, Portland, or Glacier Park, it's coach. For single or multiple overnights, it's sleeper. I was forced to go coach on the SWC from Chicago to Los Angeles on one occasion, and never again. I will cancel before I do that.

When I was younger coach was good enough. Now that I'm older, grumpier, and less limber it's usually a sleeper, airplane, or stay home. When I fly I upgrade to premium economy or first/business class just to fit my legs properly without crushing my knees. My car is comfortable and does well as a long distance cruiser, but I don't live near any of the places where I would typically vacation and with even low end generic hotels charging $150+ driving has become a poor value.

I don't really follow the need for a roomette or sleeper for a daytime ride? All over the world, folk sit in trains in the morning and get off many hours later, with no apparent ill's to report from sitting next to another human being...
Most folk here are Amtrak sleeper fans, rather than Amtrak train fans, so the sleepers are top priority if they travel by train.
I feel that one overnight in coach is not too bad, and often very good value for money.
For myself, I would break my journey in Chicago, stay at the HI Hostel for $40 a night and not worry about access to the lounge.:)
If I am flying, I try for an aisle seat to stretch my legs, I am never going to ever afford to upgrade...

Ed.

I don't really follow the need for a roomette or sleeper for a daytime ride? All over the world, folk sit in trains in the morning and get off many hours later, with no apparent ill's to report from sitting next to another human being...Most folk here are Amtrak sleeper fans, rather than Amtrak train fans, so the sleepers are top priority if they travel by train. I feel that one overnight in coach is not too bad, and often very good value for money. If I am flying, I try for an aisle seat to stretch my legs, I am never going to ever afford to upgrade...Ed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this sounds like people are being criticized for insufficient frugality on a domestic train trip by someone who enjoys the luxury of intercontinental travel. If both of us purchase our tickets at the same time and board the same train on the same date your positioning costs will likely exceed my sleeper upcharge by several hundred dollars, even if you're ticketed coach. The act of crossing vast oceans at great speed may not feel very posh today, but it's still a relative luxury to many. Which isn't to say that it's a bad choice, but it's also not a strong leg to stand on when judging others.

Last edited:
All over the world, folk sit in trains in the morning and get off many hours later, with no apparent ill's to report from sitting next to another human being.

That's fine for people who enjoy (or easily tolerate) sitting next to strangers. I do not particularly care for it, and I refuse to feel ashamed for spending my money the way I choose.

Also, I can recall several trip reports in which you lamented having to sit next to an overweight passenger. Consider my purchase of a sleeper a way of ensuring I don't bother another passenger with my corpulent existence.

For a coach seat vs. sleeper during normal daytime hours, usually the sleeper cost isn't worth it from what I've seen. It's very much an individual's decision though, based on his or her own circumstances.
Overnight, I will weigh the costs for the roomette or BR vs other alternatives, and if it's more than one night, not likely to attempt the coach trip.

For a coach seat vs. sleeper during normal daytime hours, usually the sleeper cost isn't worth it from what I've seen. It's very much an individual's decision though, based on his or her own circumstances.
Overnight, I will weigh the costs for the roomette or BR vs other alternatives, and if it's more than one night, not likely to attempt the coach trip.

Yes I would definitely spring for a room if any given segment is more than two nights.

Two nights in a leg-rest coach works for me, but I recognize that it's too much for others. With experience in both, I'd recommend a night in a Viewliner roomette over a night in a Superliner roomette. Of course, there are other factors: pricing on a given travel date and dining car service.

To add to this discussion. VIA Rail, through Ontario, is similar to Amtrak through Ohio and Pennsylvania, schedule wise. We've done VIA coach several times out of Toronto going north and the price differential between coach and sleeper was astronomical. It's been a few years, so if this information is still accurate, VIA leaves at 10 pm and we were arriving at our stop at approximately 6 am ish. Basicaly we were boarding the train just to sleep and detrain early, no meals, no real reason to pay for the sleeper. The VIA coach cabin was comfortable, the attendants gave us nice pillows and blankets, and at sunrise we were at our destination for a very reasonable price. If the pricing structure is the same would do so again.

Last edited:
I'd like to think I can put up with most anything, but I've seen people in a train station I sure don't want to spend the day with. I know sounds terrible and I'm probably the one losing out. But, I'm not risking it.

Last edited:
I thought my earlier post was fairly clear that I was wondering why so many folk here had the desire to travel in a sleeper during the day. It matters not to me how folk spend their money, I am interested only in trying to understand as much as I can of the motivations of my fellow humans. :)
Indeed, some folk are shy, don't enjoy mixing with others, that is understood and as I say, no intention on my part to make folks feel guilty about spending their own money!
I often upgrade from a hostel to a motel 6 if I have particularly enjoyed my luxury $350 transcontinental flights, so I know the pleasures of splashing out too! ;)

Ed.

I only traveled in a sleeper 1 time during a day trip. It was from Oakland Jack London to LA. It was not that much more than coach when you add the cost of the meals. I spent most of the trip in the Pacific Parlor Car. That was my last time in a Parlor Car. When they got rid of the Parlor Cars I was happy I took that trip.
I thought my earlier post was fairly clear that I was wondering why so many folk here had the desire to travel in a sleeper during the day. It matters not to me how folk spend their money, I am interested only in trying to understand as much as I can of the motivations of my fellow humans. :)
Indeed, some folk are shy, don't enjoy mixing with others, that is understood and as I say, no intention on my part to make folks feel guilty about spending their own money!
I often upgrade from a hostel to a motel 6 if I have particularly enjoyed my luxury $350 transcontinental flights, so I know the pleasures of splashing out too! ;)

Ed.
I only traveled in a sleeper 1 time during a day trip. It was from Oakland Jack London to LA. It was not that much more than coach when you add the cost of the meals. I spent most of the trip in the Pacific Parlor Car. That was my last time in a Parlor Car. When they got rid of the Parlor Cars I was happy I took that trip in a roomette.

Back