Bexar’s Eye: Amtrak’s San Antonio station – Where Chicago Meets LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sunset Station is actually at the other end of the platform from the current Amtrak station, so it's a stretch to say that Amtrak "moved". They just left the grand, beautiful, classic building for something more in keeping with Amtrak's "character"...or lack thereof. Plus lower utility costs and such, I'm sure.

The basic reason Amtrak left the Historic Sunset Station is that UP Sold it to the City which leases it to Private Groups for Special Events.

Most days and nights it sits empty along with the Baggage Area between the Sunset Station and the Current Amshack.

At one time there was an upscale Mexican Bar/Cafe there and Concerts were held outside on the Patio Area, but now days it's a sad sight as nothing much happens there!:(

There have been numerous attempts to gentrify the St Paul Square area but all have failed. It's just on the wrong side of the I37 Freeway which cuts it to off the downtown Riverwalk Tourist Area.( this was done intentionally back in the Bad Ole Segregation days!)

I have no idea of the history behind the locomotive, which is parked next to the depot, but hubby snapped this pic of me at San Antonio old depot as we were walking from Sunset Ltd to our hotel on the river walk.

53198219_10212986214240833_2864697037008404480_n.jpg

I have no idea of the history behind the locomotive, which is parked next to the depot, but hubby snapped this pic of me at San Antonio old depot as we were walking from Sunset Ltd to our hotel on the river walk.

View attachment 13218
Ex SP Steamer that ran Freight and No Name Passenger Trains in Texas back in the Golden Days of Railroads.

It sat in a City Park for many years, and was moved to the Sunset Station after restoration, but cant remember the year??

I remember seeing it one winter night covered in Christmas lights. Magical!

Way back in the early 1900s, Katy passenger trains also used the Sunset Station. That was before Katy built its own depot (demolished in the late 1960s).

The more questionable part of the great pic is you're walking to your hotel in the daylight. That doesn't say much for your arrival time when compared to the scheduled arrival time.
Scheduled arrival time was around five a.m. We got there five hours late. The one bright spot was that we didn't have to get up at an ungodly hour to detrain, and our hotel room was ready for check-in when we got there.

Back