Amtrak train with GOP congressional members hits truck (1/31/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair point, but having THC in one's bloodstream does not mean they were actually intoxicated at the time of the test. This is even more true when it comes to urine and hair tests, where it can be detected anywhere from 30-90 days after marijuana use.

I suspect that Just-Thinking's thought process may be correct. From a railroad point of view, some of the employees involved in the incident at Chester with the MOW equipment tested positive for banned substances. Even though the NTSB stated this did not in anyway contribute to the incident, it still broke the  federal substance rules. 

As such, the engineer lost his certification.

Fair point, but having THC in one's bloodstream does not mean they were actually intoxicated at the time of the test. This is even more true when it comes to urine and hair tests, where it can be detected anywhere from 30-90 days after marijuana use.

That’s why hair drug test are so popular.  Much longer of a history.  Zero tolerance for truckers.  He may not of been convicted of DWI, but he failed a drug test that will follow him for the next 10 years if he try’s to drive a truck again.

Thanks for the link to the final report. Driver had a history of issues with his CDL and general motor vehicle operation. The employer was not in compliance too. Bad combination of events.

Have a pulse will drive. Is a joke, but it getting too close to be a bad joke with our current economy. CDL medical standard are changing again, too much push back for the employers. Too many driver get disqualified for medical. The job is not a healthy lifestyle for many positions.

This might be a "hot take" (strong opinion) for this board, but IMO the federal substance requirements are silly. I understand there is no surefire way to check if one is under the influence of something other than alcohol except a blood test, which are unreliable at best and can't detect for very long after ingestion, but what about someone who is an alcoholic? Federal agencies will most likely never find out. Someone who likes to have a bit of weed to calm down after a hard day's work is very similar to someone who likes a beer after work, but the former is illegal and the latter legal. Truly silly, but this is also not the topic to get into detail on all that.

Truck driver in that incident was just in court on manslaughter charges. He was found Not Guilty. Maybe this will be the end of the legal stuff and the equipment can be released for service.

Not likely. This is just one round out of many. A brief fair use quote will show the ugly truth:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/truck-driver-found-not-guilty-in-crash-with-chartered-train/2019/02/28/eb8e55b4-3b5f-11e9-b10b-f05a22e75865_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.91a5c343a88f

The passengers will still have their day in court, so the equipment (evidence) must be preserved.

Well, the battle rages on. Not only are they going after the driver and the company, but they are also going after the "conductor."

Five men sue driver of trash truck struck by Amtrak in 2018
https://www.dailyprogress.com/news/...cle_6f7f15a9-4c51-57d7-9009-0573ed925192.html

Two years after a train carrying a Republican congressional delegation collided with a trash truck, five more passengers have filed lawsuits targeting the driver, trash company and the train conductor.

My eyebrows went up when I read this. Why the heck would they go after the conductor? I continued reading and came across this:

Four lawsuits allege that the conductor, Young, took too long to engage the brake, waiting until the train was just a few seconds away from the trash truck.

I think the case against the "conductor" should be dismissed with prejudice....because they're too ridiculous to name the ENGINEER as the person would engage the brake.o_O

Chuck Fleischmann is the rep for our district. Before going to Congress, he was a slip and fall lawyer who passed himself off as a "small businessman." Per reports that I hazily recall from at least a year ago, he has already settled with Amtrak or the trucking company or both for a rumored 6 figures. Details were under seal at the time of course and he danced around questions about it during his last campaign.

A collision involving a slip and fall lawyer turned congress critter must be one of the all time worst combination for the defendants in a lawsuit.

Back