What time should I be at Tampa? What time do they start boarding? Is it like Kissimmee?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
Tomorrow is my trip home on the Silver Star. I am scheduled to leave Tampa at 5:27 PM. What time should I be at the station? I saw the Star was late getting into Tampa today. Just curious...

I would get to Tampa well before 5:27, if the train is running on time. There are usually many passengers boarding in coach and they line up shortly before 92 arrives in Tampa. It takes a while to off load the passengers whose destination is Tampa. As soon as those passengers are detrained, boarding will start. If you are checking luggage, you will need to be at the station ealier than you would need to be if not checking luggage.

Sorry I did not provide you with a definitive answer, which is "it depends when the train arrives."

I would get to Tampa well before 5:27, if the train is running on time. There are usually many passengers boarding in coach and they line up shortly before 92 arrives in Tampa. It takes a while to off load the passengers whose destination is Tampa. As soon as those passengers are detrained, boarding will start. If you are checking luggage, you will need to be at the station ealier than you would need to be if not checking luggage.

Sorry I did not provide you with a definitive answer, which is "it depends when the train arrives."

Thank you for the helpful tip. I’m not checking luggage, but I will try to arrive about an hour before departure.

If you see an SCA named Bianca (usually the 10 car), tell her Penny says hello and that I may see her on Monday. She is fabulous. I hope you are lucky enough to have her as your attendant.

If you see an SCA named Bianca (usually the 10 car), tell her Penny says hello and that I may see her on Monday. She is fabulous. I hope you are lucky enough to have her as your attendant.

I just so happen to be in Car 9210. I’ll pass the word if I have this particular attendant.

I forgot to ask earlier. Am I still allowed access to the Philadelphia Club Acela? I know I’m not on the Meteor this time, but I still am in a sleeper...

I just so happen to be in Car 9210. I’ll pass the word if I have this particular attendant.

I forgot to ask earlier. Am I still allowed access to the Philadelphia Club Acela? I know I’m not on the Meteor this time, but I still am in a sleeper...
Thanks. As long as you have a sleeper ticket you are permitted access to Club Acelas and Metropolitan Lounges. The one in Philadelphia may have been re-branded as a Metropolitan Lounge.

The answer to the question "What time should I be at the station?" involves

Sleeper vs. coach: technically this doesn't matter. However if you are in coach, you may or may not want to arrive earlier to jockey for a prime seat. No need to worry about this if you are in a sleeper.

Checked baggage: the rule is 45 minutes before departure. AU conventional wisdom is unclear weather this is scheduled or actual departure. But no one seems to have reported an agent holding to the scheduled departure when the train is significantly late.

The estimated arrival time: always check train status.

Your risk tolerance. Some plan for traffic jams, flat tire, late connecting transportation, etc. Other don't.

Bottom line: you need to get to a train door before its is closed for departure. Or the gate if it is one of those stations that close the gate prior to departure (e.g. 5 minutes in Chicago).

Thanks. As long as you have a sleeper ticket you are permitted access to Club Acelas and Metropolitan Lounges. The one in Philadelphia may have been re-branded as a Metropolitan Lounge.

I told Bianca you said hi, and she was impressed. She said you haven’t been on a long trip with her in a while.

Back