Getting on in NYP instead of NWK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am booked on a Saturday Northeast Regional from Newark to Washington. I may be in NY that day and was wondering if there would be any problem with simply boarding the train in New York--it's the same fare setup and the same seat (since no one travels just from NYP to NWK).

Will I have a problem with a NWK ticket getting on at NYP? I won't bother if it'll be a hassle. Thanks.

There are a few regional trains that do allow for travel between New York Penn and Newark Penn. Tickets are usually checked shortly after trains leave New York, so you may run into an issue with it.

Ken

I also noticed on the downloadable timetable that the train originates in NY and there's the "R" next to NWK, meaning, as I figured, that no one is simply taking it through the tunnel and getting off there. Still, it's not worth the hassle--I'll probably just be a good soldier and get on in NWK.

I also noticed on the downloadable timetable that the train originates in NY and there's the "R" next to NWK, meaning, as I figured, that no one is simply taking it through the tunnel and getting off there. Still, it's not worth the hassle--I'll probably just be a good soldier and get on in NWK.
In this case, I can almost guarantee no tickets will be scanned before NWK....FWIW....

I can't imagine you would have any problem. Even if the conductor checks your ticket before getting to Newark, what is he going to do? Throw you off at Newark? Just so you can get back on board with your valid ticket.

Yeah, I doubt you will have a problem, but it is quite possible that the ticket will be checked before you get to Newark. Yesterday on 171 my ticket was checked soon after we exited the tunnel. But for me it was a recheck since I was traveling from NHV to EWR.

I am booked on a Saturday Northeast Regional from Newark to Washington. I may be in NY that day and was wondering if there would be any problem with simply boarding the train in New York--it's the same fare setup and the same seat (since no one travels just from NYP to NWK).

Well, no one that takes Amtrak does...maybe..... Lots of people do it who take NJ Transit, especially if they're taking the Raritan Valley line (which originates in NWK because it is a Diesel route on non catanaried tracks). Still, the ride from NYP --> NWK is just long enough for the conductors to cover the entire train length if they need to... so don't use that as insurance. And, remember, they could be dogging a NJ Transit train (or several of them), which will increase the time interval. Plus, there's construction that might be going on.... lots of stuff.

Will I have a problem with a NWK ticket getting on at NYP? I won't bother if it'll be a hassle. Thanks.

You might and you might not. Just depends on how fast the conductors can get to your car. If the fare is the same, then I can't see why they'd have an issue, but one never knows.... I know NJ Transit fares *are* different from NYP to their first stops in NJ. Or they were when I rode it.

Do they no longer check tickets at NYP before allowing access to platforms? I recall having to queue and show tickets at the escalators down to the platforms where I was advised which coach to sit in when I travelled

Do they no longer check tickets at NYP before allowing access to platforms? I recall having to queue and show tickets at the escalators down to the platforms where I was advised which coach to sit in when I travelled
They do not and have never checked tickets at every stair down to the platform. Knowledgable folks often avoid the lines by taking a stairs that has no line or ticket checking.

I can say that on the one Acela trip I took from NYP to PVD, my ticket was not checked until after I boarded and the train was underway. No one's tickers are ever checked on any of the commuter trains (NJ Transit or LIRR). It may be slightly different for Canada bound trains as there is a customs thing, but I'm not sure. I don't think I ever recall seeing Amtrak people collecting or viewing tickets at stairwells. At most, they might keep only one set of doors open, so there is only one entry point onto the train, no matter which stairwell is used to descend onto the platform.

Others with more knowledge on the NYC area can chime in here as to the setup, but I'd venture to say it's not allowed. I know South Station, Back Bay, and Route 128 in the Boston area have the same fares and it doesn't matter which one you board at as apparently tickets are only scanned after departing RTE. I can't confirm that, though, since I've never taken an Amtrak train south from Boston before. Also, as far as I know, aside from a couple of trains per day, Amtrak doesn't restrict discharge of passengers at Newark like they do at BBY and RTE, so I would imagine you would need a different ticket to board at NYP instead of NWK.

Back