New cancellations for March winter storms?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These days, the main stream media are treating every rain/snow storm that's coming across the country  as if it's the 'Storm of the Century'.  Like...we've never had heavy rain, snow, or tornadoes before?

"The sky is falling!     The Sky is falling!!!   

If they tell big enough lies, often enough, and long enough, they become truth!   Yea!   Right!

Last edited by a moderator:
These days, the main stream media are treating every rain/snow storm that's coming across the country  as if it's the 'Storm of the Century'.  Like...we've never had heavy rain, snow, or tornadoes before?

If they tell big enough lies, often enough, and long enough, they become truth!   Yea!   Right!
That seems like a drastic exaggeration and oversimplification. Basic measurements such as snow/rainfall, wind, and temperature, are objective, and as the climate changes, we are seeing many more notable storms.

Only thing I heard was Amtrak was going to run the Eastbound Empire Builder over the cutoff bypassing Devils Lake and Grand Forks because of the weather.  I don't see where that would make much difference as it's on time at Haver, MT as of 3:30pm ET. I'm sure it will be snowing on the cutoff too.

I’m currently on 5 and a little nervous about the storm but not too much as there’s nothing I can do about the weather.

I’m currently on 5 and a little nervous about the storm but not too much as there’s nothing I can do about the weather.
I wish I was on that train. I love snow,as I'm a Florida/Georgia Boy.The only significant snow I've seen was on the #5 several winters ago! Maybe next year!

The main reason I’m doing this trip is to see snow in the Colorado Rockies and in the Montana Rockies....but no blizzards please!

Only thing I heard was Amtrak was going to run the Eastbound Empire Builder over the cutoff bypassing Devils Lake and Grand Forks because of the weather.  I don't see where that would make much difference as it's on time at Haver, MT as of 3:30pm ET. I'm sure it will be snowing on the cutoff too.
The earlier Amtrak twitter alerts indicated that there would be no service to Rutland (RUT) as a result of this change.  Fortunately they have corrected that to Rugby (RUG).  Looks like Vermont will be spared.   

Snow for those on #5 at this time will begin around Fort Morgan and end around Granby, CO.

I wish I was on that train. I love snow,as I'm a Florida/Georgia Boy.The only significant snow I've seen was on the #5 several winters ago! Maybe next year!
Was that the trip where we met you in the Parlour Car and you told me about AU?

I’ll get that way tomorrow. I hope it’s done by then!
Looks like today's #5 has already passed through that area. My Hubby, a Kansas native, says spring blizzards aren't multi-day events and it's likely to pass before you even get there. Please do keep us posted! If it's an adventure. I want to hear about it!

Affecting planes, trains, and automobiles:
I-25 Closed from Co Springs to Denver. And,  DIA - open but no flights coming in or going out, all runways closed.

Southwest Chief Train 3 which departed Chicago (CHI) on 3/12 is experiencing delays west of Raton (RAT) due to high wind warnings in the area. Currently operating about 4 hr late.

Side Note: State Police on scene of a derailment on the Canadian River Bridge near Logan, NM involving 26 rail cars. No injuries reported. Wind was contributing factor in crash.  This track is part of Union Pacific's Tucumcari Subdivision.

Our SCA just told me 90 mph winds in Colorado Springs and the portion of the storm we’re headed into sometime tonight will include 8-10 inches of snow and around 70 mph gusts.

Our SCA just told me 90 mph winds in Colorado Springs and the portion of the storm we’re headed into sometime tonight will include 8-10 inches of snow and around 70 mph gusts.
WOW - be safe.

Nothing much anyone can do at this point but stop the train and wait it out or also hope it peters out by the time we get in that area. I don’t even know where the storm is supposed to meet us but have been told it’ll be sometime in the middle of the night.

Nothing much anyone can do at this point but stop the train and wait it out or also hope it peters out by the time we get in that area. I don’t even know where the storm is supposed to meet us but have been told it’ll be sometime in the middle of the night.
Part of me would want to be safe, and part of me would want to watch it.

Part of me would want to be safe, and part of me would want to watch it.
My thoughts exactly but not much you can see from a train when it’s dark out.

Here’s a little ominous message from the dining car attendant. He was announcing the hours that breakfast is served and said we may not be on Mountain Time yet but the dining car will be serving like it is Mountain Time. About 15 minutes before that announcement, I asked our SCA when approximately we passed over the time zone and he said approximately 3-4 AM around western Nebraska and eastern Colorado. The dining car opens at 6 Mountain Time. The math is done. Ugh. At least I have a long layover in Sacramento before I board the CS.

My thoughts exactly but not much you can see from a train when it’s dark out.

Here’s a little ominous message from the dining car attendant. He was announcing the hours that breakfast is served and said we may not be on Mountain Time yet but the dining car will be serving like it is Mountain Time. About 15 minutes before that announcement, I asked our SCA when approximately we passed over the time zone and he said approximately 3-4 AM around western Nebraska and eastern Colorado. The dining car opens at 6 Mountain Time. The math is done. Ugh. At least I have a long layover in Sacramento before I board the CS.
Breakfast being served between Holdrege and McCook, still on Central Time. We’re running about 4 1/2 hours behind, however currently moving and the snow has stopped for now. Blizzard Warning still in effect until 1 PM local time.

I am surprised the CZ is moving as fast as it is.  I live just North of Hastings and we had 70 MPH wind gusts last night.  Not much snow here but over a foot out west with higher winds.  

Back