Former Wisconsin Talgos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The set that went on the field trip is now back at Beech Grove and the Charger is making trips on the Hiawatha.

My interpretation is that the move to Pueblo and back is unrelated to any potential PNW operation.

Still one of the ugliest cab cars in the US. Unfortunately, the Charger doesn't help, even if there was a baggage car with the "sweep" in between.

default_wacko.png
Looks like something out of "Cars"!

How much does it cost the PNW for a set of Talgos compared to a set of six or so Siemens cars?
I realize I probably sound idiotic saying this (and probably pedantic too) but I would think part of the attractiveness of the Talgo's is that they match what's already in service and they are available - are there Siemens that would be ready quickly? I'll let somebody actually knowledgeable speak to the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Hiawatha Corridor service is upgraded, perhaps a couple trips could continue beyond Milwaukee to Madison plus an additional train to Minneapolis. If WI does not want to be in the passenger train business, maybe it is time to consider a private operator like Virgin Rail.
With the defeat of Gov Walker, maybe there is hope for improved passenger rail service in the Badger State.  Virgin Rail is already taking over Brightline operations in Florida and buying into ExpressWest between LasVegas and Southern California.  

First of all, the Talgo trainsets *were* contracted and Walker actually *broke* the contract. It is perhaps understandable that Doyle did not expect Walker to be a contract-breaker.

Second, Doyle quit politics and is widely forgotten. His dithering was a problem, but really being annoyed about it isn't going to do anything now. That cretin Scott Walker is still Governor of Wisconsin and is still trashing the state.

Does that answer your question?
With the recent defeat of Gov. Walker :lol: , proposed service from MILW to Madison could become a reality soon!

With the recent defeat of Gov. Walker :lol: , proposed service from MILW to Madison could become a reality soon!
LOL Where's the funding for such a project going to come from? The funds Walker rejected are long gone and have been spent elsewhere. This project is likely never going to happen until we have a WW3 and the end of the human race happens.

grover5995 said:
Virgin Rail is already taking over Brightline operations in Florida and buying into ExpressWest between LasVegas and Southern California.  
No Virgin Rail (sic) is not doing anything of the sort. In fact there is nothing called Virgin Rail.

Brightline is rebranding itself as Virgin Trains USA, and the Virgin Group (through a subsidiary with an unheard of name that has no Virgin in it) is taking a 10-15% stake in this company. It will still be vastly majority owned by the Fortress Group, actually it is specifically stated that Fortress will own enough of it to maintain full control of the Board, and the management remains the same as at present.

My guess - exceedingly unlikely. I think that ship (using Talgo trainsets in the Midwest) has sailed.

If the single-level Siemens coaches already in production for other Midwest (and California) trains work out, I could imagine a follow-up order to acquire equipment for Hiawatha trainsets (as well as allowing expanded Midwest service). But using Talgo trainsets would require some sort of Talgo-specific maintenance facility - that's what ended up being the sticking point with the WI legislature the first time around.

EDIT: I should also add that it remains to be seen how receptive the legislature will be to the governor's proposal to put state funds toward an expansion of Hiawatha service.

My guess - exceedingly unlikely. I think that ship (using Talgo trainsets in the Midwest) has sailed.

If the single-level Siemens coaches already in production for other Midwest (and California) trains work out, I could imagine a follow-up order to acquire equipment for Hiawatha trainsets (as well as allowing expanded Midwest service). But using Talgo trainsets would require some sort of Talgo-specific maintenance facility - that's what ended up being the sticking point with the WI legislature the first time around.

EDIT: I should also add that it remains to be seen how receptive the legislature will be to the governor's proposal to put state funds toward an expansion of Hiawatha service.
Does the Talgo factory even exist anymore?  I thought I'd heard after the Scott Walker/Talgo debacle that what stock that was in the process of being completed were to be finished and the plant was to close after the completion.  Most of that stock was shipped off to Washington State to be used on the Cascades route.  

I do know that the Siemens coaches are nearly ready for release, probably aiming for later this year.

Does the Talgo factory even exist anymore?  I thought I'd heard after the Scott Walker/Talgo debacle that what stock that was in the process of being completed were to be finished and the plant was to close after the completion.  Most of that stock was shipped off to Washington State to be used on the Cascades route. 
I believe the factory is still around, but may be idle at the moment. I know that they refurbished LA subway cars a couple years ago

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/blog/real_estate/2016/09/talgo-will-return-to-milwaukee-to-refurbish-trains.html

Talgo constructed two trainsets for OR that are used on the Cascades and two trainsets for WI that were to be used on the Hiawathas but were orphaned and have been stored at Beech Grove (?). Talgo was also expected to construct two additional trainsets for WI if the Madison extension of the Hiawatha had gone forward. After the four trainsets (2 OR + 2 WI) were constructed, the facility closed, although WI did consider it as an option for a Talgo maintenance facility before the WI legislature declined to fund it. Later, the Talgo facility was reopened to refurbish Los Angeles transit equipment. Not sure what its current status is, though.

Back