Upcoming Site Software Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And just because that test forum was set up by Ryan, we don't use thinks like Facebook and Twitter feeds, etc.    You're content here is safe.
You can’t make that assurance, that’s not how Facebook or the internet works. 

All one needs to do is post a link to a thread (be that on the old software or the new) and the content is “on Facebook” by some people’s reckoning. 

Edit to add: The bottom line is that the new forum won’t necessarily be any more connected to Facebook than this one is. Nothing to be concerned about as a result of the transition. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, can we carry over the current emojis? Most forums allow the staff to add custom emojis, and I can put together a chart of all the ones we have now. This would also make sure existing posts containing emojis render correctly.

Ryan.   I did not say someone could not share a link.   I said we do not feed content.   There is a HUGE difference.

Also, can we carry over the current emojis? Most forums allow the staff to add custom emojis, and I can put together a chart of all the ones we have now. This would also make sure existing posts containing emojis render correctly.
Please put together that chart, and I'll see about saving the links so you can have them all back.

Ryan, I do appreciate that edit on the first post I quoted and answered.   That is accurate.

The content of the site does not automatically go to FB page.   

Here is the Facebook page for the AU Forum, it is basically ignored for some time.

And just because that test forum was set up by Ryan, we don't use thinks like Facebook and Twitter feeds, etc.    You're content here is safe.

I want to double check about the PM's. 
Are you aware that there is already an Amtrak Unlimited Forum group page on Facebook and has been there for many years? :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/392119044172359/

It is kept separate from the web site, but just points people to the website should they wish to join it too, and many do. But one has to separately join the Facebook group to participate in it.

It is tightly moderated (to keep extreme Facebook craziness at bay) but pretty active group.

I use facebook, but I have not given it permission to share my data with any apps. I deliberately do not participate in any of the facebook surveys or games that ask for access to my profile, because permission will not be given by me...

I still log in to many groups and sites with the old-fashioned username/password system I've always used, and ignore the "log in with facebook" icon. Just one way to keep my data from being shared all over. I assume that won;t change with the new software.

Can we get dislikes included as well? 

Without genuine choice each like and thank you begins to feel more hollow and pointless.

If there is concern over abuse maybe turn off voting for new members until they reach a certain level.
I disagree that a dislike feature is necessary. For pretty much any Amtrak-related post, there’s going to be someone who doesn’t like it, and I think that the ability to mark each post as such would just bury any likes/thanks. And even if we did restrict voting to members who have reached some sort of criteria, that still doesn’t really protect against people disliking posts out of sheer spite or in an effort to pass them in reputation points (as they are referred to in Invision).

With this change, it is now possible to show your agreement with a post without have to make a post that only says that. Of course, if you have something to add to the discussion, please do.
I’m also thinking about the fact that the like feature was originally described by Bill as a way to show one’s agreement without just making a post that says that. If someone merely appreciates or agrees with a post, they don’t inherently have something to say of their that would add to the discussion, so it’s great to be able to put down that they agree without clogging up the conversation. Whereas if a person really doesn’t like a post, they do inherently have their own opinion and argument against it, and have the opportunity to put their argument out there and see the reaction it gets.

So my feeling is that it’s really best to just have the choice of reacting positively (through “likes” or “thanks”) or not reacting at all, since it focuses on the best content (and not the worst), avoids any sort of abuse, and naturally encourages people to put their own arguments out there and see how others respond to it.

My Grandmother used to say: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all!”

If someone agrees with a posted opinion, all that is needed is an indication of that fact. Unless there is a desire to expand the opinion, a simple “Like” works fine.

If someone disagrees with a posted opinion, I feel that some elaboration is needed. What do you dislike? How do you disagree? What do you suggest instead?  Simply reading a post and clicking a “Dislike” button is lazy.  It adds nothing other than the fact that one poster for some unstated reason disagrees with a post but did not feel strongly enough to provide any counter information. Dislike an opinion by posting why, not just by saying “Dislike.”

So, in my opinion, a “Dislike” feature adds nothing to the discussion of opinions.

I use facebook, but I have not given it permission to share my data with any apps. I deliberately do not participate in any of the facebook surveys or games that ask for access to my profile, because permission will not be given by me...

I still log in to many groups and sites with the old-fashioned username/password system I've always used, and ignore the "log in with facebook" icon. Just one way to keep my data from being shared all over. I assume that won;t change with the new software.
Same here. I don’t let Facebook access any information I wouldn’t want some unknown third party to access. They have not earned any of my trust.

My Grandmother used to say: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all!”
While grandfather said, "If you don’t have anything nice to say, come sit next to me."

Other stuff I'm thinking of now:

• We should continue to have 25 posts per page. If that number were to change, any reference any person has made to a specific page of a thread, would no longer be correct.
  • We should still be able to sort the members list by reputation. It doesn't need to list the exact number for each person, but it has been good to be able to see which members have the most positively reacted-to content.

We should still be able to sort the members list by reputation. It doesn't need to list the exact number for each person, but it has been good to be able to see which members have the most positively reacted-to content.
I didn't know this could be done.  How does one do this?

We should still be able to sort the members list by reputation. It doesn't need to list the exact number for each person, but it has been good to be able to see which members have the most positively reacted-to content.
I didn't know this could be done.  How does one do this?
Click on the members tab at the top of the page, and then have it sort by reputation.

Please put together that chart, and I'll see about saving the links so you can have them all back.
Here's a zip containing all the emojis and their associated codes. I went this route since a mere link to each emoji might stop working after the update. Unfortunately it won't let me have colons in the file names, so I had to write [colon] instead. There are also text clippings in each folder containing the respective codes for each one, since those allow actual colons.

View attachment Emojis.zip

If someone agrees with a posted opinion, all that is needed is an indication of that fact. Unless there is a desire to expand the opinion, a simple “Like” works fine.

If someone disagrees with a posted opinion, I feel that some elaboration is needed. What do you dislike? How do you disagree? What do you suggest instead?  Simply reading a post and clicking a “Dislike” button is lazy.  It adds nothing other than the fact that one poster for some unstated reason disagrees with a post but did not feel strongly enough to provide any counter information. Dislike an opinion by posting why, not just by saying “Dislike.”

So, in my opinion, a “Dislike” feature adds nothing to the discussion of opinions.
I initially was in favor of having such a reaction, but found this post convincing and changed my mind.

Reflecting on it a bit further, in an idealized world of the Way Things Should Be, you're absolutely right.

Unfortunately, people are human, and I think that there still might be something of a case for a thumbs down.  If someone that disagrees with an opinion expressed has an easy and (relatively) polite method of indicating that disagreement, perhaps giving them the outlet of a simple thumbs down will cut down on the number of "You're wrong and you should feel bad posts" that end up derailing the conversation and leading to work for the staff to clean up the train wreck that follows.

The current flow of river puns in the ViewSleeper thread also reminds me the need for a laughing reaction for everyone's funny jokes.
Yes. Laughing reaction is quite important.

Actually I do like the six that are available on Facebook these days, but that may be too much to ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back