CHI Legacy Club Closed, Metropolitan Lounge now $25

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Based on the condition of the candy when I was there in December, I think the same stuff has been there since the lounge was built......"

Definitely NOT the case. Candy selection was added last year sometime. And I have seen it replenished by staff. Times I've enjoyed it on many trips through last year - I didn't feel it was stale.

"Based on the condition of the candy when I was there in December, I think the same stuff has been there since the lounge was built......"

Definitely NOT the case. Candy selection was added last year sometime. And I have seen it replenished by staff. Times I've enjoyed it on many trips through last year - I didn't feel it was stale.

I believe the stale candy comment was said sarcastically.  I first noticed the candy when I took the picture I posted earlier in this thread, back in September.  However, being that not very many people utilize the Pennsylvania Room (the upstairs part of the lounge) I'd be surprised if the candy was replenished more often than a weekly basis.  Wrapped candy has a pretty long shelf life, so I'm sure it's okay that it's been sitting there for days.  

The big one for me is showers.   Last year, the train arrived late into CHI.   I missed the connection to the CL and my first class sleeper.   Amtrak put me up overnight at the Swiss hotel.   I had my bicycle with me and was able to go for a ride the next day.  While there was no more sleeper rooms available in the train I was on, I still got to use the first class lounge.      That meant being able to take a shower.  Which was great after a days ride.

The $25 would be worth it just for the showers.  Tough I could never understand why a first class passenger would need a shower since they could get one when  they get on board.   Unless the showers were put in to appease people that got bumped like me?   Or maybe business class passengers?

The big one for me is showers.   Last year, the train arrived late into CHI.   I missed the connection to the CL and my first class sleeper.   Amtrak put me up overnight at the Swiss hotel.   I had my bicycle with me and was able to go for a ride the next day.  While there was no more sleeper rooms available in the train I was on, I still got to use the first class lounge.      That meant being able to take a shower.  Which was great after a days ride.

The $25 would be worth it just for the showers.  Tough I could never understand why a first class passenger would need a shower since they could get one when  they get on board.   Unless the showers were put in to appease people that got bumped like me?   Or maybe business class passengers?

The showers at the ML would have better water pressure than on the train. Also, sometimes the train showers don’t work period.

The showers at the ML would have better water pressure than on the train. Also, sometimes the train showers don’t work period.
Also remember that taking a shower on a moving train is often a bit of a tightrope walk, so freshening up during your connection is a bit easier and more convenient.

I love taking a shower after completing travel. It's so refreshing, even if I don't feel particularly sweaty or dirty. There's just something about washing the train/plane/car off. Plus, hot showers are so relaxing.

Amtrak showers are not relaxing. I always feel a need to hurry, there's hardly any room to maneuver**, I spend 90% of the time trying not to bang into the walls, and anyone who's seen my hair can imagine my frustration over the size of the towels. (For reference, pour a pitcher of water on a section of shag carpet and then use a washcloth or two to attempt to soak it up.)

If I were connecting in Chicago, I would be tempted to use the shower for those exact reasons.

**The showers with glass doors have enough room, but I've only encountered those once. Also, the other points remain unchanged.

I love taking a shower after completing travel. It's so refreshing, even if I don't feel particularly sweaty or dirty. There's just something about washing the train/plane/car off. Plus, hot showers are so relaxing.
Amtrak showers are not relaxing. I always feel a need to hurry, there's hardly any room to maneuver**, I spend 90% of the time trying not to bang into the walls, and anyone who's seen my hair can imagine my frustration over the size of the towels. (For reference, pour a pitcher of water on a section of shag carpet and then use a washcloth or two to attempt to soak it up.)
If I were connecting in Chicago, I would be tempted to use the shower for those exact reasons.

**The showers with glass doors have enough room, but I've only encountered those once. Also, the other points remain unchanged.
I’ve seen pictures of you and do understand the issues with having long hair. Good luck drying it on a moving train....you’d probably have to play the theme to “Mission Impossible” while attempting it. I’m lucky to not have that issue. My problem is I am some balance issues. I try to use the shower at a crew change point but it’s not always available as I’m not the only one who has those intentions. I’ve never used the ML showers, however, but can imagine they’re worlds better.

Obviously you have not spent much time on a small sailboat.   Those "roomy" train showers are luxurious to me.   Only one exception.   I used to charter  a 40 footer in the BVI.   It had a very unusual  configuration with a large head with shower up in the bow.  It had a huge hatch overhead. Some of the most refreshing showers I have ever had was on that boat..

and I have the added luxery of having almost no hair on my head. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up on a variety of boats, but I've actually never sailed.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally like the thrill of seeing if I can keep myself from bumping into the shower walls while rolling at 79 mph :p

I think it is nice to be able to take a shower on the train but I sometimes don't like to miss the scenery so I will wait until we get to Chicago and take a shower at the Metropolitan Lounge.  Those showers are great!

I recall a trip on the Sunset/Texas Eagle eastbound where I understood a woman was taking a shower when the Texas Eagle sleeper ran out of water because water had not been filled in Los Angeles.  We filled up with water at El Paso.

Every onboard shower room I’ve seen (Superliner and Viewliner) has had a glass door, and I guess I’ve had enough space in there, but my main gripe is that the stall door always opens and the rotating shower head/arm always slides out of the stall whenever the train even slightly accelerates or decelerates. No matter how hard I try, the entire room always ends up completely flooded. :unsure:

No matter how hard I try, the entire room always ends up completely flooded. :unsure:

I've seen a case of the floor in the hall getting completely flooded from the shower.  It caused quite a mess and dangerous walking conditions.  The SCA was quick to clean it up, fortunately.  

Back