Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too high of a shop count, too many in protect status.  Even if you accepted Amtrak 80% Fleet availability you would have 20 in service at any given time. The list from KnightRail show only 11 in service, add one with the business fleet so 12 in service out of the twenty that should be.

Too high of a shop count, too many in protect status.  Even if you accepted Amtrak 80% Fleet availability you would have 20 in service at any given time. The list from KnightRail show only 11 in service, add one with the business fleet so 12 in service out of the twenty that should be.
What “business fleet”?

I’m pretty sure it means that they’re scheduled to enter service for the first time on some particular date.
Pretty sure 68007 Columbia has been in service for a while already...

And the “business fleet” is the office cars, like American View or Beech Grove that are for non-revenue corporate use. I don’t see anything on that fleet allocation that looks like any car is running with the business fleet though.

And the “business fleet” is the office cars, like American View or Beech Grove that are for non-revenue corporate use. I don’t see anything on that fleet allocation that looks like any car is running with the business fleet though.
“68014 Jackson: Washington”

Unless Washington has a protect car than 68014 is doing the business fleet thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
“68014 Jackson: Washington”

Unless Washington has a protect car than 68014 is doing the business fleet thing.
I read that as being a protect car but you’re right, that probably isn’t a sensible spot for one.

That’s quite a lot of shopped cars though.
Think of it this way.  From endpoint to endpoint, It is roughly 1500 miles on the average on  the  Silver route, 1400 miles on the Crescent route and 950 miles on the Lake Shore Route. That is a lot of time for things to go wrong or need tuning.

Be grateful they now have enough equipment to fix the small things before they become big problems.

And what does “scheduled” mean in this context?
It means there is a scheduled confinement of the car to a maintenance facility . It could be for an overhaul, a warranty inspection, periodic maintenance, etc. as opposed to shopped for defects.

Plus, why does Hialeah need two protect cars?
Hia is their home base. They already have protects in other locations.

Last but certainly not least:

tenor.gif

5475667519_2edeb69823_b.jpg

Fleets one, two and three. Wednesday is your day. Fleet four follows on Thursday. We look forward to your pictures and or/video.

Do you have any guess as to what routes are likely to get the bag-dorms and new sleepers first?
I can't even imagine what will happen but you asked for  a guess.

Once they received a few bag dorms I would have bet the Late For Sure  and Pigeon would be the ultimate recipients. . However, a sleeper has emerged and they weren't supposed to come until the end of the year. They may have pushed for the sleepers to come next.  I know VA indicated they are interested in a sleeping car returning to 67/66 (and they would likely pick up part of the costs) , but I would assume the new sleepers would stay close to their base.

Therefore, I would say new sleepers would go into the Meteor's rotation first. The bag dorms would go into the Star's rotation first.  That is my guess.

Every once in awhile I've found 66/67 tempting, even just from WAS to NYP, so a sleeper would make it even more tempting.

(oh here's a far-fetched idea for 20 years in the future. A set-out sleeper in each direction at NYP picked up by an early morning departure to Albany!

In order to have HIA home base for  V-II Bag-Dorms, they will need be assigned to one Silver train or the other. Assigning them to both Silver trains would be "getting thin" for protects. One Silver and the tri-weekly Cardinal is probably the "bureaucratic play it safe" route.

50-51 Cardinal - Two cars

91-92 Star - Four cars

CHI Protect - One car

SSY Protect - One car

HIA Shop-Protect - Two cars

In order to have HIA home base for  V-II Bag-Dorms, they will need be assigned to one Silver train or the other. Assigning them to both Silver trains would be "getting thin" for protects. One Silver and the tri-weekly Cardinal is probably the "bureaucratic play it safe" route.

50-51 Cardinal - Two cars

91-92 Star - Four cars

CHI Protect - One car

SSY Protect - One car

HIA Shop-Protect - Two cars
I really think the Cardinal is the best candidate for the first bag-dorms. A train with 3 1/2 revenue passenger cars really does not need a full 85' baggage car, and definitely could use eight more Roomettes. And it would only take four cars to put one on both consists and have a protect at each terminus.

Back