AEM7 Retirement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some videos of the hard working AEM7 number 945 as it heads to its retirement job at the Illinois Railway Museum. It sure beats heading under the scrapping torch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw AEM-7 945 parked in Amtrak's Chicago Canal Street yard early this afternoon as my train passed the yard.

At some point today two AEM7s were moved from within the Wilmington facility to one of the tracks adjacent to the mainline tracks, usually where equipment slated for imminent further movement is placed...

929 & 938 with all Amtrak markings spray paint patched over, a step that would be unlikely to be simply stored at Bear...

They're probably going to San Jose to become test equipment for Caltrain. As of November, Caltrain was expecting to recieve two in February. If that is the case, I will try to get pictures when they pass through Chicago.

What train would they take from Chicago (if that's definitive and publicly releasable information)?

Here are 929 and 938 riding behind the P42s as Amtrak #5(05) slowly came through Agency, Iowa last night about two hours late. Are these two still traveling with AMTK reporting marks, or do they have new ones now?

Some AEM-7s may move to RI earlier next month. Someone has their eye on them. Keep a sharp watch and an ear to the ground.

15 AEM-7s have moved into position in WIL. They will move to NJ this weekend and to CT in two batches, From there, they will go to their new owners in RI. I believe this only leaves the 901 on the property.

15 AEM-7s have moved into position in WIL. They will move to NJ this weekend and to CT in two batches, From there, they will go to their new owners in RI. I believe this only leaves the 901 on the property.

Saw pics of them (15, I think)on FB leaving Bear the other day. And pics of 917 & 942 in Wilmington.

Back