Viewliner side for the Hudson

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoachSlumber

Lead Service Attendant
Guys, I know my question has been asked and answered but the Search on this site is close to useless and I can't find an entry for which side of the Viewliner heading north is the Hudson side (It's my understanding that Viewliners are generally oriented in a consistent way). Thank you for your indulgence.

If the orientation of the viewliners on the NYP sections has not changed since 2016 the EVEN numbered roomettes are on the left facing the Hudson.  I was in roomette 8.

If the orientation of the viewliners on the NYP sections has not changed since 2016 the EVEN numbered roomettes are on the left facing the Hudson.  I was in roomette 8.
Then your car happened to be oriented backward (or maybe you were on #48 instead of #49?). Unless there's a special circumstance, the New York section sleepers have always run with the Roomettes in front, so the odd rooms are on the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then your car happened to be oriented backward (or maybe you were on #48 instead of #49?). Unless there's a special circumstance, the New York section sleepers have always run with the Roomettes in front, so the odd rooms are on the left.
It was 49, the vestibules on the VL's were forward meaning the bedrooms were in front and the even number roomettes on the left.  I'm not sure if the video shows a usual or special circumstances consist but it is a relatively current

6 minutes ago, Big Iron said:

It was 49, the vestibules on the VL's were forward meaning the bedrooms were in front and the even number roomettes on the left.  I'm not sure if the video shows a usual or special circumstances consist but it is a relatively current

Oh crap. Somehow my brain got the look of the outside of a Viewliner completely backward and convinced myself that the end with only one row of windows is the Roomette side. Face palm. :help:

Thanks , everyone, I was figuring it was the even numbers on the left. So of course I was given room 3! I’ll see if they will change it. The scenery is not too exciting on the other side.

How certain is it that the even numbered Roomettes on #49 will be on the left side?

•  Dead certain?

•  Quite certain?

•  Real certain?

•  Pretty certain?

•  Fairly certain?

•  Kinda certain?

•  Sorta certain? 

How certain is it that the even numbered Roomettes on #49 will be on the left side?

•  Dead certain?

•  Quite certain?

•  Real certain?

•  Pretty certain?

•  Fairly certain?

•  Kinda certain?

•  Sorta certain? 
What kind of question is this? Anything can happen. Equipment can get shopped, tracks can get closed and service can get canceled.

How certain is it that none of the above will occur and the train will actually run?

Dead certain?

Quite certain?

Real certain?

Pretty certain?

Fairly certain?

Kinda certain?

Sorta certain?

WE'RE AMTRAK CERTAIN!

Back when it was the New York Central all bedrooms were to be oriented on the river side. Which meant when the Century came into New York the observation cars were wyed, as well as the Diners. But the sleepers were not.

That's fine and dandy for the olden days of the New York Central, but how about Amtrak?  And how is the train treated when it gets to Chicago?

All I'm trying to do is avoid  the possible disappointment that if CoachSlumber switches to an even numbered Roomette it ends up on the right hand side of the train.

And how is the train treated when it gets to Chicago?
What relevance does that hold for a northbound train?

All I'm trying to do is avoid  the possible disappointment that if CoachSlumber switches to an even numbered Roomette it ends up on the right hand side of the train.
That possibility will ALWAYS exist. Train 49 ran away from 449 last week and some passengers ended up without a sleeper.  Trains operating into CHi were canceled in their entirety last week.  The OP didn't even say when he is traveling and for all we know, the consist may be altered based upon what is occurring at this moment.

OP:

The bottom line is at this moment, the even numbers are the programmed to be on the Hudson view. Any number of conditions can cause that to change. Any number of conditions can cause the train to not even operate. However, that is the best info. Can it change the day of departure. Possibly, but not probably.

Otherwise, cast your fate to the wind and don't move. The choice is yours.

That's fine and dandy for the olden days of the New York Central, but how about Amtrak?  And how is the train treated when it gets to Chicago?

Appreciate it. I’ll try for an even and then figure my chances are about 95 percent for being on the port side. Not the end of the world if not; I can go to the lounge.

It has always been 50-50.  I'm currently on #49 in an even numbered roomette on the right (bad) side.  The two NY sleepers are connected vestibule to vestibule; so one has even on the good side and the other odd.

Now you have the nice diner/lounge to enjoy the view on both sides.

I've always seen the first NY sleeper with a vestibule facing the diner. 2nd or 3rd sleepers either way. What's at the other end of the diner? It's Amtrak, it's why we never say "never" , just out of the ordinary.

I've always seen the first NY sleeper with a vestibule facing the diner. 2nd or 3rd sleepers either way. What's at the other end of the diner? It's Amtrak, it's why we never say "never" , just out of the ordinary.
On 49 it would normally be a New York Coach. As long as its vestibule is adjacent to the Diner, the Sleeper's vestibule need not be adjacent to the Diner to meet emergency evac requirements, or so I was told by someone familiar with such thing within Amtrak. Of course the ADA access to Diner from the H room of the first Sleeper adjacent to the Diner is a separate issue.

If it is indeed a coach (makes sense since the lounge comes from Boston) and its vestibule is towards the diner, that is it. While it is nice for the H to face the diner, it does nothing for the Boston sleeper or any following NY sleepers, those passengers, if using most assistive aids, can not easily navigate the aisle the length of the car, if at all. They are pretty much tied to SCA room service.

It has always been 50-50.  I'm currently on #49 in an even numbered roomette on the right (bad) side.  The two NY sleepers are connected vestibule to vestibule; so one has even on the good side and the other odd.

Now you have the nice diner/lounge to enjoy the view on both sides.
They always keep a vestibule next to the diner (Sleeper Lounge), so the first sleeper (48/4911) always runs Bedrooms first. The other sleeper(s) generally do as well, but it’s not nearly as guaranteed.

They always keep a vestibule next to the diner (Sleeper Lounge), so the first sleeper (48/4920) always runs Bedrooms first. The other sleeper(s) generally do as well, but it’s not nearly as guaranteed.
"Always" is just not true, since I have been on 49 and 48 several times when this was not the case. Please stop making general statements like that about the situation based on nothing. It is true that it is supposed to be the way you state but it is not "always" that way in reality.  I have even been on it when the Diner was backwards, i.e. the Dining Room end faced the Coach, not the Sleeper.

And I believe the first New York Sleeper is 4911. 4920 is the Boston Sleeper which is nowhere near the Diner, and usually does not operate along the Hudson at all, so which is the Hudson side is moot for that car. :ph34r:

Thirdrail's characterization "Amtrak certain" is about as far as one can go. :lol:

"Always" is just not true, since I have been on 49 and 48 several times when this was not the case. Please stop making general statements like that about the situation based on nothing. It is true that it is supposed to be the way you state but it is not "always" that way in reality.  I have even been on it when the Diner was backwards, i.e. the Dining Room end faced the Coach, not the Sleeper.
You can find special outlier cases of pretty much everything, but unless there is an usual extenuating circumstance, the intent is always to have the vestibule of the first Viewliner next to the diner. The odds most definitely are highly in the favor of someone with an even numbered Roomette going north or odd numbered going south. If you still doubt that this is true in the vast majority of cases, just look at a few of the thousands Lake Shore vids on YouTube, and you will see that the Bedrooms in 48/4911 are almost always in front.

You can find special outlier cases of pretty much everything, but unless there is an usual extenuating circumstance, the intent is always to have the vestibule of the first Viewliner next to the diner. The odds most definitely are highly in the favor of someone with an even numbered Roomette going north or odd numbered going south. If you still doubt that this is true in the vast majority of cases, just look at a few of the thousands Lake Shore vids on YouTube, and you will see that the Bedrooms in 48/4911 are almost always in front.
I can agree with "almost always".  But previously you did say "always" (missing the "almost"). That is what I was complaining about. Thank you for now making a more accurate statement and correcting your earlier error.

Back