Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Radar2.gif

:ph34r:

Yes let us worry more about getting more equipment not spending money on paint jobs ! 
It's called branding. Amtrak had the rainbow era (cars with liveries from different railroads) back in the early 70s yet saw the importance of their own brand, the start of the pointless arrow. Whether its Phase Iv or III, pick a livery and stick with it. 

Is Third Rail signaling another "drop"?

Just 00-Albany? perhaps SLEEPERS?????

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the radar screen showed up in the dining car thread And the sleeping car thread maybe the last dining car and the first sleeping car are going to be released.

Seeing is believing!

Let's hope that the Powers that be @ Amtrak don't park them in a yard in Florida like the Diners after testing and acceptance!! :rolleyes:
Just pointed out diners tested and accepted.  Does that make them entered into the LD depreciation schedule?  That would make LD trains loose even more?

Every time this rumor comes up I ask which diners have been supposedly sidelined, and have yet to receive an answer.
Fair enough Ryan, I have no hard data,just know what I've read on-line and heard from rail fans.

Also,Why don't the Star(vation) and the Card have Diners to replace the Less-than-Beloved Diner-Lites and Cafe Car now that the order is mostly complete?

The apparent conversion of the New Diners to Sleeper Lounges such as on the Lake Shore makes me wonder if this will become SOP for ALL LD Viewliner Trains?

I also have a question about the vanishing Baggage Cars, such as on the Texas Eagle and other LD Trains. Where are these Cars being utilized or stored and Why is this happening?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reduction of labor cost (or not increasing them) will explain everything that you ask about above. Why is that so difficult to understand.

I am not saying that is the best choice, but the answer to all the “why”s that you ask lies there.

Reduction of labor cost (or not increasing them) will explain everything that you ask about above. Why is that so difficult to understand.

I am not saying that is the best choice, but the answer to all the “why”s that you ask lies there.
`More revenue than increased costs does not compute according to Amtrak ?

A conductor on Wednesday’s Sunset Limited complained about the baggage cars being removed from some trains. I pointed out that I noticed that they were very lightly used and he said that people are checking less bags than before, but are starting to bring more and more unboxed bikes on the train to hand up to the conductor in the baggage car. He also complained that the extra distance away from the loco made for a quieter and more pleasant ride with less diesel fumes. I personally have not had a problem with the fumes but I can say that a recent trip down on the CONO in the dorm car was very noisy, and I usually barely notice the horn.

He was under the impression that it was a seasonal change and that they would be back, or at least he was told they would. But he also said that it would not matter if that was the case or not, they always say that and rarely restore cuts or keep them in the loop.

I had forgotten about the bike access changes made recently, but when I think about it I recall seeing many bikes being passed up to baggage cars in Chicago. Nothing like the numbers in California, but a lot more than I expected. That is a good reason to keep the cars on all long distance trains I feel.

I agree completely -- I'm planning more bike/train trips too, and it would be very disappointing. But the real problem isn't the baggage cars, it's Amtrak's bureaucratic attitude towards bikes corporately, and lack of motivation and mental flexibility on board the trains. You don't need a whole baggage car to handle six bikes per train (Amtrak's current limit). There's plenty of room on single level trains and all the room in the world on bi-levels, even without putting in bike racks or making other modifications, as they do on corridor trains when states force them to do so.

As a bike rider & train lover nearing retirement, it would be very disappointing if the baggage cars get pulled just as I’m getting ready to take the train to kick off bike tours on a somewhat regular basis.

I also have a question about the vanishing Baggage Cars, such as on the Texas Eagle and other LD Trains. Where are these Cars being utilized or stored and Why is this happening?
Who said they are being stored?  More importantly, with the winter consist plan in effect, do you really need a separate baggage car for two coaches and a sleeper when a bag coach will do? Why not get caught up on PM work and overhauls? Why not divert some of the cars to axle count (which is paid for by the state) and free up needed coaches? The extra bag on the LSL was a classic example of wasted resources.

`More revenue than increased costs does not compute according to Amtrak ?
Not only labor, but wear and tear and fuel must be considered. Additionally, it is REALLY easy to track what goes into the baggage cars at stations these days. It is easier to see what trains are lightly used, how many bikes are checked, what express  and.or mail is loaded and removed. The walk up, baggage lite program may not be as easy to track but they probably deduced that a full bag on all trains may not be necessary.

Let's hope that the Powers that be @ Amtrak don't park them in a yard in Florida like the Diners after testing and acceptance!!
From the "Just the Facts" thread:

09FEB2019 Scorecard:

68000 Albany: CAF

68001 Annapolis: Hialeah(shopped)

68002 Atlanta: Chicago(protect)

68003 Augusta: 19(08FEB)

68004 Baton Rouge: 98(08FEB)

68005 Boston: Sunnyside(shopped)

68006 Charleston: 48(09FEB)

68007 Columbia: Hialeah(scheduled)

68008 Columbus: 48(08FEB)

68009 Concord: 19(09FEB)

68010 Dover: 48(08FEB) deadhead

68011 Frankfort: Hialeah(protect)

68012 Harrisburg: 97(08FEB)

68013 Hartford: New Orleans(protect)

68014 Jackson: Washington

68015 Lansing: Hialeah(protect)

68016 Madison: 97(09FEB)

68017 Montgomery: 49(09FEB)

68018 Montpelier: 20(09FEB)

68019 Nashville: Hialeah(shopped)

68020 Providence: 20(08FEB)

68021 Raleigh: 98(09FEB)

68022 Richmond: Hialeah(scheduled)

68023 Springfield: Hialeah(scheduled)

68024 Tallahassee: Hialeah(shopped)

Sounds like the "accepted and stored" is a pile of foamer poo.

That’s quite a lot of shopped cars though. And what does “scheduled” mean in this context? Plus, why does Hialeah need two protect cars?

Back