Protect Motor at Secaucus now?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
Friday on 2160 and today on 173 I noticed what appeared to be a protect motor stored on a stub track Railroad West of Seacaucus. Is this a new practice? I'm used to a protect motor and Dual Mode sitting in A interlocking. If a protect motor has been placed in Seacaucus it seems like an odd location. It appears that the motor was crew less. Which isn't a shock.

Likely it was a protect move for the special train that carried Gov. Murphy and other honchos from Metropatk to NYP looking at the condition of the Hudson River Tunnel. 

Last Thursday afternoon, I saw the Veterans unit there.  As of 2 minutes ago, it was the 603.  Maybe it IS a protect unit...

It has a crew and it isn't necessarily a new practice. Amtrak used to protect until they became crew and power short. Then, NJT started protecting at Hudson Yard during the week while Amtrak protected on the weekends .  Now,  NJTRO is short crews and power, so Amtrak is back to protecting the tunnels.

This just appears to be very  prudent foresight.  Would imagine that the ideal protect equipment would be an electric and a dual mode as well with coupler adapters to rescue any NJT breakdowns.  However right now dual modes are in too short supply?

It has a crew and it isn't necessarily a new practice. Amtrak used to protect until they became crew and power short. Then, NJT started protecting at Hudson Yard during the week while Amtrak protected on the weekends .  Now,  NJTRO is short crews and power, so Amtrak is back to protecting the tunnels.
Thank you for the good information! 

This just appears to be very  prudent foresight.  Would imagine that the ideal protect equipment would be an electric and a dual mode as well with coupler adapters to rescue any NJT breakdowns.  However right now dual modes are in too short supply?
Not really. The only time a Dual Mode would be used is in case of an overhead failure. The only type of equipment that would require an adapter is the Arrows. And the Arrows have one on the equipment. 

Usually a P32ACDM sits on protect duty at Penn Station near the diagonal platform anyway.
Yep! In fact, I can’t even remember the last time there wasn’t a P32 hanging out in the corner while departing Penn. I am wondering though, isn’t Sunnyside only like five minutes from NYP? Why is it so necessary to have that protect there all the time?

Yep! In fact, I can’t even remember the last time there wasn’t a P32 hanging out in the corner while departing Penn. I am wondering though, isn’t Sunnyside only like five minutes from NYP? Why is it so necessary to have that protect there all the time?
It's simply the fact that if a train stalls or the engine calls it quits in the Empire Tunnel or on the Empire Connection a crew can climb on and go. If the unit was in Sunnyside it could be anywhere from say 15 minutes to an hour to get out of the yard and through the tunnels.  

Usually a P32ACDM sits on protect duty at Penn Station near the diagonal platform anyway.
With the diesel engine idling, based on passing through on #98 last week and having my roomette door closed so I heard the noise.

Not to disagree with the previous respondents, but at age 71, I DO know the sound of an idling diesel when I hear it!  Even through the window of a roomette.   If not that dual mode, maybe an NJT unit?

Not to disagree with the previous respondents, but at age 71, I DO know the sound of an idling diesel when I hear it!  Even through the window of a roomette.   If not that dual mode, maybe an NJT unit?
Incorrect. To avoid diesel fumes in what is a pretty much completely enclosed space, locos always run on electric when in Penn Station. That's the whole point of the P32AC-DMs and ALB-45DPs; to run on electric in and out of Penn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gone out of Penn many times. It is true that the diesels are not normally running in Penn. On the other hand, I have occasionally seen the P32 sitting in an open area just outside of the covered areas. I did not notice if it was running or not...

I've gone out of Penn many times. It is true that the diesels are not normally running in Penn. On the other hand, I have occasionally seen the P32 sitting in an open area just outside of the covered areas. I did not notice if it was running or not...
There is no open area any more. It has all been covered up by the West Side Yard and related developments.

Back