Price Increase?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea how price increases work on Amtrak... I am taking the same trip at the beginning of March that I took a few months ago. The price is the same for a roomette on both trains. I guess it just depends on where you are going and when?

No idea how price increases work on Amtrak... I am taking the same trip at the beginning of March that I took a few months ago. The price is the same for a roomette on both trains. I guess it just depends on where you are going and when?
Somewhat depends on the routes. For example, the NEC price increases don’t seem to happen at the same time as long distance increases.

I am taking the same trip at the beginning of March that I took a few months ago. The price is the same for a roomette on both trains. I guess it just depends on where you are going and when?
One explanation might be that because the dollar value of the increases is so small for travel over the whole route, if travel is over a small enough portion of that route there may not be an increase.  The average increase in low bucket Coach fares was $1.72 and $2.75 in low bucket Roomette upcharges for travel over the entire route.

[edit]  Don't be misled by the 18 Jan 2019 date on that chart and think that's when all the fares rose.  That's simply the date of the last update made to the chart (and for this last chart was just replacing some of the estimated buckets with ones actually posted).  I don't actually know when the fares rose and for all I know they may not all go up at once.  I use AmSnag to check for increases only. . .uh. . .spasmodically.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the updated prices, I noticed that Business class on the Lincoln Service seems to have new inventory in fare buckets.  Lower buckets is much harder to acquire than 2018.  Rare to see any midrange prices, for my spot reservations, it's either low bucket at $52 or high bucket $92.

Also, seems weird that TE roomettes for last minute bookings doesn't go down between STL-CHI.  Seems like a missed opportunity if there was a way to drop inventory pricing day of to sell out roomettes between the 2-stations.    $223 one-way roomette is expensive, especially compared to a similar trip on the CONO between MEM-CHI could be purchased for under $100. 

Back