Superliner Bedroom or Viewliner Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superliner. Both rooms are pretty similar, but the HVAC system on the Viewliners can be a bit screwy, resulting in boiling hot temperatures in the bedrooms during winter. Superliner bedrooms are also a bit larger. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely Viewliner. You get the double row of windows on Viewliner (meaning that there is a window for the lower bunk AND the upper bunk), as well as significantly more headroom, and a large storage area above the bathroom. Meanwhile the upper bunk in a Superliner feels sort of like a coffin, with minimal headroom and no window, and no decent spot to put large bags.

That said, I would say that the difference in comfort and luxury between a Superliner Roomette and a Superliner Bedroom is significantly more noticeable than the difference between a Viewliner Roomette and Viewliner Bedroom, and therefore the latter really isn’t worth the extra cost. This is because Viewliner Roomettes have a toilet and sink in the room, plenty of space in the upper bunk, the two rows of windows I mentioned, and a pretty large private storage cubby over the hallway, so you don’t really get that much of a benefit with the Bedroom. On the other hand, since Superliner Roomettes have an extremely cramped upper bunk, no toilet, no sink, and no cubby or floor space to speak of, the Bedroom offers some serious benefits. 

So put simply, Viewliner Bedrooms are IMHO significantly better than Superliner Bedrooms, but while the former is probably not worth the extra cost over a Roomette, the latter probably is.

I prefer the Superliner bedrooms, but it's been a while since my last VL trip. They don't feel as cramped to me. My dear wife won't do a roomette on either even when 2 roomettes are cheaper. VL bedrooms also seem harder to book.

2 regular bedrooms + H  in a VL, 5 + family +H in a SL sleeper. That makes for a BR to be tougher to get, especially at a good price, on a VL. There are even a few special SL on the Autotrain with 10 bedrooms + family +H to increase the bedroom availability.

2 regular bedrooms + H  in a VL, 5 + family +H in a SL sleeper. That makes for a BR to be tougher to get, especially at a good price, on a VL. There are even a few special SL on the Autotrain with 10 bedrooms + family +H to increase the bedroom availability.
And also note that Superliners have 14 Roomettes per car, while Viewliners only have 12.

I didn't include the roomette count since I was just responding to the remark about bedroom availability. 
I honestly think that the H room and Family Bedroom on Superliners are each sort of their own separate thing from the standard Bedrooms as well, and can’t really be described as additional Bedroom capacity, per se.

I mean the H room is literally a combo of a Roomette bed module, the tiny square windows of the Family Bedroom, a ton of weird open floor space in the middle of the room, and a curtained off toilet and sink. Whereas on Viewliners, the H room is VERY similar to the standard Bedrooms. So I just think the only way to get a meaningful sense of the capacity of Superliners vs Viewliners is to count all the rooms as a whole, because each type is so different.

The Viewliner H-Room is by far Amtrak's best accommodation; I was upgraded to one Richmond to West Palm after a ticketing error and felt like I was in a Pullman Palace Car.  During the day when I was in the room I left the door open for ventilation and to get the feeling of more room and from time to time pax wandering from the diner would forget to make the turn, stumble into my room and wonder who I was with such a massive place :)

For a roomette traveling alone, I prefer VL. I love how the bunk travels straight up & down, and can be adjusted to multiple positions. The window up there also makes a huge difference.

So if it’s just me I’ll setup the bunk as soon as I board, and use it even for occasional use during the day when I want to stretch out (stacking the two mattresses on top of each other). When I’m down below I just raise the bunk to a higher level so there are no clearance issues.

At night I now always sleep up top. If I need to use the toilet at night I can - although I much prefer the Superliner rest room arrangement (down the hall) to having the in room facility. The new VLs roomette will be just about perfect - as it will revert to the SL toilet approach but keep the sink IIRC. I love having a sink in a roomette, don’t like the toilet.

I prefer the Viewliner over the Superliner.  Nearly every time in the Superliner, the air blasts are not controllable 

and results in unpleasant air flow.  I usually ask the SCA to tape over the air vent but I always bring my duct tape.

The arrangement of the Viewliner is much prefered and you do not need to climb the stairs.

The new VLs roomette will be just about perfect - as it will revert to the SL toilet approach but keep the sink IIRC. I love having a sink in a roomette, don’t like the toilet.
You are correct about the new V-II layout, but I will honestly be sad to see the in-room toilets go. In the V-IIs, if I have to go in the middle of the night, I'll now have to walk all the way down the hall, and (though this probably won't happen at night) possibly even wait for one to open up, since there are only two in each car (Superliners have five).

Back