Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hurricane Michael did tremendous damage to the shipyard (and the surrounding area) where new 4500 passenger ferries are under construction for NYC. This will delay their entry into service substantially, so the Kennedy, Newhouse, and Barbieri will carry on somewhat longer than expected.
I am hoping that the Kennedy will remain in the fleet...will sure miss her if she is retired...can't say the same about the other two.....
default_smile.png

Hurricane Michael did tremendous damage to the shipyard (and the surrounding area) where new 4500 passenger ferries are under construction for NYC. This will delay their entry into service substantially, so the Kennedy, Newhouse, and Barbieri will carry on somewhat longer than expected.
I am hoping that the Kennedy will remain in the fleet...will sure miss her if she is retired...can't say the same about the other two.....
default_smile.png
You don't like the Barberis? Why?

Mainly, lack of open air deck space. I just like the classic, SI Ferry design of the Kennedy class, her car carrying capability, and the sweet sound of those EMD '567's' when they spool up on departure...

Nothing really wrong with the other's...

The designers of the new Ollis class ferries took a cue from the popularity of the open air promenade areas on the Kennedy, and they included them on the new class. The Barbieri has had a few issues, it was involved in 2 of the worst incidents in the ferries history, although the 2003 tragedy was a human failure, not equipment. 2010 was equipment based failure. JFK is the oldest ferry in the SI fleet, it will be past 55 when it retires, its 2 class mates are long gone.

The Cat to Bar Harbor:

Looks like there's a good possibility the high-speed CAT Ferry between Maine and Nova Scotia will be moving its terminal from Portland to Bar Harbour next summer. The downside.....no longer a convenient connection with Amtrak's Downeaster. Up until a couple of weeks ago you could leave Boston in the morning, connect with the CAT and be in Yarmouth NS that evening. Or depart Yarmouth in the morning and into Boston late afternoon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/yarmouth-ferry-heading-to-bar-harbour-in-2019-1.4867397

https://www.barharbormaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2743/Bay-Ferries-Proposal-to-Town-of-BH-20180711

The CAT will use the original Terminal in Bar Harbour constructed by CN in 1955 for the new 'Bluenose' Ferry to Yarmouth, NS.

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/19228

Here's the 1965 schedule:

Image (3).jpg

Image (2).jpg

Image.jpg

Meanwhile back in NYHarbor, who here has memories of riding (think that is correct term for a vessel away from open water) "American Legion I", "Gold Star Mother", "Mary Murray" and "Miss New York"?

C Potisch, perchance?

American_Legion_I.jpg

GoldStarMother1.jpg

2131194210_1f022f6394_b.jpg

545ddc80-2487-4cc8-893d-40af80d07950_2x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile back in NYHarbor, who here has memories of riding (think that is correct term for a vessel away from open water) "American Legion I", "Gold Star Mother", "Mary Murray" and "Miss New York"?

C Potisch, perchance?
Unfortunately, no. I'm 16, and since I don't have a time machine, I haven't been able to make the trip.
default_wink.png

Those were all gone well before he was born. I've been on the AL-2, AL-1 was scrapped when I was a child.Oldest boats I remember, being on -Kolff, Merrell, AL2 JFK, maybe others, but no recollection. Can't say I made a habit of going to SI.

C Potisch, perchance?
Unfortunately, no. I'm 16, and since I don't have a time machine, I haven't been able to make the trip.
default_wink.png
Well, I'm almost the "mirror image" of 16
default_biggrin.png
, and I do remember such ferries... although in my case, it was the "American Legion II." But I also recall ferries that would (to keep this "train related") transport people from the Hoboken Train station in NJ to Jersey City for work. This, before PATH ramped up. It was the first school field trip I ever took in the 1st grade. A ride on the Erie/Lackawana train to Hoboken and then the ferry to Jersey City and back.

1200px-EL_3596_in_November_1978_%2821915166963%29.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I think one of those ferries served as a floating restaurant on the Hudson back in the mid 70s... The "Binghamton." I know this because I think I ate on it once, and our high school had the junior/senior prom on it.

Binghamton_Ferry.JPG

AL-2 lasted until 2006, I've been on that one,JFK is the last of that class in service. Binghamton was a restaurant in NJ before it met a sad fate.But it was a cross Hudson ferry, not a Staten Island ferry. A 1975 retiree SI ferry the Miss New York did some time as a restaurant, it too sank I don't remember where it was at the time.

My Staten Island Ferry riding was a result of relatives that lived in the Huguenot area. My riding was largely done on the '39 vintage "Mary Murray" class, and the '51 "Pvt Merril". Also a ride or two on "American Legion I" when she was the protect boat.

My final ride was a joyride during '66 on the JFK; to visit the relatives today, if I ever inclined to, it would be a journey six feet under.

That is a tremendous redition by the song's writer and performer.

I chose to link the video of the entire movie, with French dubbing, simply becaues it had footwge of both the Lehman and the Legion II.

The Cat to Bar Harbor:

Looks like there's a good possibility the high-speed CAT Ferry between Maine and Nova Scotia will be moving its terminal from Portland to Bar Harbour next summer. The downside.....no longer a convenient connection with Amtrak's Downeaster. Up until a couple of weeks ago you could leave Boston in the morning, connect with the CAT and be in Yarmouth NS that evening. Or depart Yarmouth in the morning and into Boston late afternoon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/yarmouth-ferry-heading-to-bar-harbour-in-2019-1.4867397

https://www.barharbormaine.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2743/Bay-Ferries-Proposal-to-Town-of-BH-20180711

The CAT will use the original Terminal in Bar Harbour constructed by CN in 1955 for the new 'Bluenose' Ferry to Yarmouth, NS.

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/19228

Here's the 1965 schedule:
That's really inconvenient to get to without a car.

Here’s the VINCENT COLEMAN…. and note the ‘Morse Code’ spelling below his name. Coleman was a Train Dispatcher for the Canadian Government Railways (now CN) and was killed in the Halifax Explosion of 1917. He is honoured for sending a message (in Morse Code) to an incoming passenger train to stop out of range of the explosion. There  were over 2,000 killed when 2 ships collided in the Harbour in one of the largest man-made explosions prior to Hiroshima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSuX9RvLq54

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/12/06/two-ships-collided-in-halifax-harbor-one-of-them-was-a-3000-ton-floating-bomb/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.20a0bad3dcd9

20181109_150906.jpg

20181109_150844.jpg

That's a kind of a ferry, too. Ro-Ro Pauline from killingholme (GB) arriving in Rotterdam (NL).IMG_20181130_083218586.jpeg

Ow, and I found another one.

You can take a ferry on your way from Manhattan to JFK: a bit less direct route perhaps, but it goes via Bridgeport and Port Jefferson.

Before the ferry, you can take Metro-North from Grand Central Terminal. And after the ferry a short walk will take you to the LIRR for a trip to Jamaica. 

The picture shows Grand Republic arriving in Bridgeport.

GrandRepublic_20180124.jpg

If you do that, you could also take the train on to New London, take the ferry from there to Orient Point, then the train from Greenport back to Jamaica...where does this end...take a cruise ship from Manhattan to Southampton, UK, and then another back to Brooklyn? :lol:

Well, walking from Orient Point to Greenport would have taken too long for the time I had, but it did cross my mind! ;-)

Back