Amtrak Equipment for Sale 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slumbercoaches actually fell victim to the conversion to retention toilets. They had way too many toilets I suppose that needed conversion in each car. It was known that they were not going to be converted when the retention toilet conversion program started, after some fishermen in Florida complained about getting pooped on while they fished under a bridge.
OK, never fish under a bridge?

Slumbercoaches actually fell victim to the conversion to retention toilets. They had way too many toilets I suppose that needed conversion in each car. It was known that they were not going to be converted when the retention toilet conversion program started, after some fishermen in Florida complained about getting pooped on while they fished under a bridge.
Passengers were also asked not to use the bathroom in the station, right?
They used to have a sign saying: "Please flush the toilet after each use, Except while train is standing in the station."

Since the Horizons are to be replaced, maybe NCDOT could pick up some to augment their fleet for the Piedmonts and/or Carolinian services.

So they're finally selling the PPCs, huh? Hopefully they end up in a good, non scrap yard home.
Maybe Corridor Capital will buy them and add them to their existing Hi-Level fleet.
Hopefully, they will go someone who will actually use them, not stick them in a yard near St. Louis and beg people to buy them.
I'm sure most of the stuff like horizons, P42DC as I already demonstrated, and locomotives are pretty much wrecked units, or parted out to the point it would be a bad purchase.

Even though I might go after a 17xx baggage car because the trucks are the real value.

Passengers were also asked not to use the bathroom in the station, right?
Passengers will please refrain...

In those days, sometimes you could open the top half of the dutch doors to take pictures if the crew was cool about it and you weren't doing anything overtly stupid. But that sudden mist on your face on a sunny day wasn't rain...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was skimming thru that request for information on the food operation....really surprised that Amtrak is seriously considering getting rid of its OBS staff....

Has anyone heard of the union's reaction to this?

I can tell you, that if I was involved, I would have the union's put out a similar request for information, to see "best practices" to replace the entire Amtrak executive management....and distribute any results to Congress and the press....
Hmmm! I see the format of the Amtrak contact person's email. Does this mean mail to [email protected] would reach his office directly?
default_unsure.png

I was skimming thru that request for information on the food operation....really surprised that Amtrak is seriously considering getting rid of its OBS staff....Has anyone heard of the union's reaction to this?

I can tell you, that if I was involved, I would have the union's put out a similar request for information, to see "best practices" to replace the entire Amtrak executive management....and distribute any results to Congress and the press....
Hmmm! I see the format of the Amtrak contact person's email. Does this mean mail to [email protected] would reach his office directly?
default_unsure.png
Sorry, where'd you see that format?

I was skimming thru that request for information on the food operation....really surprised that Amtrak is seriously considering getting rid of its OBS staff....Has anyone heard of the union's reaction to this?

default_unsure.png
Sorry, where'd you see that format?
Look at the first link then go to the Food and Beverage item (mentioned by railiner). I went there and saw the email address of contact. Lastname and first two initials of first name @ amtrak.com

25 years ago, seeing first initial and lastname at the site was pretty typical for an email so it immediately caught my attention to see that this might be Amtrak's current variation of that concept.

I suspect the Horizons up for bid have been parted out, too, unless individual circumstances indicate otherwise.
All Horizions listed have defects such as strike damage, freeze damage, derailment damage, etc. None are revenue service ready.

P40s, unknown what kind of trucks they are even on now. Years ago when there was a truck shortage, they were all robbed of their trucks to keep P42s in service and were placed on shop trucks. Those have been sitting for many years. Total overhauls needed to get those in service. Similar situation for the F40s.

Years ago it was publicly known that there was desire to keep retired operational passenger equipment out of other operators hands. This still seems to be the case with no heritage diners offered. The parlor cars being an exception since their application is so limited. They are high level, needing a transition car to use with any other single level equipment. They are not ADA compliant or wheelchair accessible. Most other offerings like the baggage cars are maybe candidates for work trains or for scrap.

Years ago it was publicly known that there was desire to keep retired operational passenger equipment out of other operators hands. This still seems to be the case with no heritage diners offered. The parlor cars being an exception since their application is so limited.
Do have to wonder who would buy a heritage diner that would be a threat to Amtrak. Local tourist train now with on board dining service. Leave Cooperstown have dinner and return later in the evening to Cooperstown. Does not seem much of a threat. Oh I am sure one or two will be rebuilt to run behind Amtrak trains, but a threat to Amtrak bread and butter?

Better sell them and recover some cash, then let them rust away in a yard.

Selling the P40 rebuilds surprises me a little. Those were done to fill in a gap in the supply of diesel locomotives. I guess enough Siemens Chargers have been delivered that these are not essential any more? I thought the Chargers were being delivered rather slowly.

Selling the P40 rebuilds surprises me a little. Those were done to fill in a gap in the supply of diesel locomotives. I guess enough Siemens Chargers have been delivered that these are not essential any more? I thought the Chargers were being delivered rather slowly.
They're selling the P40 rebuilds? I thought they're just getting rid of the old, tired P40s weren't been rebuilt or improved and have just been sitting in a yard for years...

The P40 listed had been sitting for several years now. They were in Delaware stored, but transfer to Beech and stripped of there trucks, a few years back. They may be on shop trucks, or just on the cracked P-42 trucks they were stripped to replace. They are far from serviceable. Stuff and mount is a possibility, if they are sitting on a old crack truck. Otherwise scrap metal it is.

They are mostly the P40s that don't have any trucks anymore possibly, as they were taken to replace trucks of P42s that were destroyed due to careless handling of repairs in Beech Grove.

Ah, I see Just-thinkin just mentioned what I was saying. I agree.

Rebuilt ones were:

809, 814-818, 821-824, 830-832, 835, 837

Stored and transfer to Indiana.

800-806, 811, 813, 826, 828

Engine listed for sell.

#800​

#801​

#802​

#803​

#804​

#805​

#806​

#811​

#813​

#825​

#826​

#828​

In recap there junk that been stripped of there trucks, and probably other parts.

Only thing interesting is the PPC. The other interesting question is why all the dining cars, crew dorm+lounge, and baggage cars that are not listed for sale.

Yes Amtrak has a policy but scrap steel price is still money for other projects.

It sees Amtrak is planning to sell surplus equipment including the old santa fe high level lounges! http://trn.trains.com/sitefiles/resources/image.aspx?item={AF1D1ADA-E66A-4917-B40E-BE933F24599B}'> http://trn.trains.com/sitefiles/resources/image.aspx?item={AF1D1ADA-E66A-4917-B40E-BE933F24599B}

attachicon.gif
IMG_2648.JPG
You seem to be posting this as if its new information, but you do realize that this is what weve been discussing in this thread the entire time. You know what Im saying?

Back