2018 New River Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C&O RR

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Arrived in Chicago on the Tiogo Pass (Business Class car) from Los Angeles yesterday. The Tiogo Pass is one of end cars on the New River Train. The train is being put together in the Chicago Amtrak yard and it will be over 1/2 of a mile long.

Amtrak has decided that the cars for New River train will leave tonight, 10/14, as part of the Hoosier State consist leaving at 5 p.m. There are currently 24 New River cars in the yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak coming to get us from the end of the Southwest Chief. Second picture shows a lot of the cars(on the left of the picture) that are making up the train.20181013_155331.jpeg20181013_165517.jpeg

With the Tiogo Pass at one end of the switcher it pick up the Dearing (Business car) from a siding with it's other end. The switcher then placed the Dearing on one end of the New River train. The Tiogo Pass was then taken to the other end of the train. 20181013_173610.jpeg

The Hoosier State consist (Engine #35) has been added to the New River train.

This train leaving Chicago will be 31 units in total.

4 engines, 27 cars.

The Hoosier State will be taken off in Indianapolis. Amtrak has not decided, or not told us, when we will be leaving Indianapolis.20181014_153136.jpeg

It's typical Coby. I would have been there had my mother not had a stroke this week.
How's she doing if you don't mind my asking?
She's doing good. Getting better slowly day by day. We're lucky it was a small stroke. I might attempt to get to the last weekend of New River still. Just depends on what airfares are out there. And how she's doing.

Boy I hate to appear dumb but what is the River Train and where does it run, I never heard of it and why so many cars? Or am I missing something obvious.

So its an excursion train with limted runs. That is why I was confused since the links wouldn't open when I first looked at it. I rode the Super Continetal in Canada years ago and it had 22 passenger cars so I guess 30 is doable. Freights sure have a lot more than that ! Those spring and fall special excursions were very popular in the days past. We took a Spring Wildflower excursion out of East St. Louis back in the early 60's and it went down several routes that followed the Mississippi after heading out into western Illiniois for a while. They hadn't had a passenger train on them in 30 years as I recall, it was a huge train as well. At the return point local churches and other groups had tables and booths to sell lunch and snacks to those who wanted them. Maybe Amtrak should try more trips like that?

So its an excursion train with limted runs. That is why I was confused since the links wouldn't open when I first looked at it. I rode the Super Continetal in Canada years ago and it had 22 passenger cars so I guess 30 is doable. Freights sure have a lot more than that ! Those spring and fall special excursions were very popular in the days past. We took a Spring Wildflower excursion out of East St. Louis back in the early 60's and it went down several routes that followed the Mississippi after heading out into western Illiniois for a while. They hadn't had a passenger train on them in 30 years as I recall, it was a huge train as well. At the return point local churches and other groups had tables and booths to sell lunch and snacks to those who wanted them. Maybe Amtrak should try more trips like that?
Usually it's outside groups and private companies who do that. And Amtrak has basically told us they don't care about our money. New River is the last operation. Leavenworth would have run this ear had they followed the New River method.

If you would like to view the cars that make up the New River train, the photos are located at

https://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/cp/GpK7sBLdHzf

I hope I did not leave any of the cars out.
I was looking in this album for a better view of that dome car in the photo in post #2, just beyond what looks like "Dearing", and before another dome car...

In the photo, unless it's an optical illusion, it looks like one of those former "Chessie", low profile Budd domes...I don't recognize it in the album, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me....
default_unsure.png

If you would like to view the cars that make up the New River train, the photos are located at

https://opa.cig2.usa.canon.com/s/cp/GpK7sBLdHzf

I hope I did not leave any of the cars out.
I was looking in this album for a better view of that dome car in the photo in post #2, just beyond what looks like "Dearing", and before another dome car...In the photo, unless it's an optical illusion, it looks like one of those former "Chessie", low profile Budd domes...I don't recognize it in the album, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me....
default_unsure.png
The dome car right in front the Dearing was built for C&O but never used because ridership was declining. This is one of the cars that was sold to the B&O

Boy I hate to appear dumb but what is the River Train and where does it run, I never heard of it and why so many cars? Or am I missing something obvious.
Seehttp://www.newrivertrain.com/

For details
Does Amtrak provide the crews and run the train?
jb
The crews are provided by Amtrak at a cost.
Are they sufficiently familiar with the equipment or do they need to be trained on it or what?

Seehttp://www.newrivertrain.com/

For details
Does Amtrak provide the crews and run the train?
jb
The crews are provided by Amtrak at a cost.
Are they sufficiently familiar with the equipment or do they need to be trained on it or what?
Amtrak only provides the Train and Engine crew's for movement of the train....the car owner's provide their own staffing....

Back