Hurricane Michael

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the Silver Meteor was cancelled because of Hurricane Florence, my mother was able to get a refund for one way despite the Star still running in Florida (which she could've taken, but found alternative transportation). The Meteor was operating again for her return trip, and she was able to keep that reservation. This was on a Saver fare, and about two or three days before travel.

So do they allow simply canceling a trip anymore without penalty when they are unable to deliver you to the destination within a few or even several hours of the original trip, at least for the most expensive fares? Or is it now time to get in touch with Congresspeople and start working on an Rail Passenger Bill of Rights in this country like there are in a few other countries, and like the Air Passenger Bill or Rights?
I know there used to be a rule that if the train was more than an hour late (for regional trains) or two hours late (for long distance trains) that you could get a full refund of the fare. I can't find that on amtrak.com right now, though. In practice, when the EB is severely late I've been able to get a refund of any cash paid without any hassle. (Getting a companion coupon back is another story.)
I could've sworn I read this policy on the Amtrak website a few weeks ago, but now I can't find it. Wonder if it's an unspoken rule now.

So do they allow simply canceling a trip anymore without penalty when they are unable to deliver you to the destination within a few or even several hours of the original trip, at least for the most expensive fares? Or is it now time to get in touch with Congresspeople and start working on an Rail Passenger Bill of Rights in this country like there are in a few other countries, and like the Air Passenger Bill or Rights?
I know there used to be a rule that if the train was more than an hour late (for regional trains) or two hours late (for long distance trains) that you could get a full refund of the fare. I can't find that on amtrak.com right now, though. In practice, when the EB is severely late I've been able to get a refund of any cash paid without any hassle. (Getting a companion coupon back is another story.)
No such policy on LD trains.
As far as I know, Amtrak will still refund tickets with no penalty when a corridor train is more than one hour late or a long distance train is more than two hours late. While it does not appear on the Amtrak.com policy page, if you Ask Julie about late trains she quotes this policy.

Also, I think if your scheduled train is cancelled you can pull a refund even if Amtrak could otherwise transport you (since even if they can get you there, it might not be according to your schedule...the Star and Meteor tend to operate 4-8 hours apart from Kissimmee north, and that can be enough to hose plans).

CSX had several dozen cars (box cars) of a freight train topple over in Panama City, apparently in the Western (less intense) Eye Wall.

Apparently it was on a short line, not CSX, since CSX does not go to Panama City, notwithstanding what the Weather Channel reporter said, which I quoted above.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the conductor we presently have clearance to proceed. I would assume if that changes we will likely halt at Florence. Hopefully we'll make it through. We did depart Lorton 30 mins early so we'll see what happens!
Overall the trip was extremely smooth we arrived at Sanford 8:15 (44 minutes early.) I wonder if CSX cancelled some freight service last night. Only stopped for a freight once at Sellers (and we were wicked early into Florence so I definitely won’t blame CSX there) and then just after Florence we stopped and waited for 98 to pass. We passed 52 at the perfect time near Kingstree station and I don’t believe either train had to stop. From that point on it was non stop cruising except for speed limits/slow orders. Saw no rain but you could feel there was a disturbance in the distance when I got out at Florence. I did see some trees rocking and rolling when a jolt woke me up as we were passing the Savannah platforms. Overall no complaints and made it through the storm!!!! Vacation time!
Based on transit docs 97 Meteor made it thru too but seemingly had fright some interference near Savannah.

We shall see if Meteor and AT are able to run tonight of if there’s trees down/damage.

Also heard that Atlanta & St Andrews Bay wood chip cars were on the ground in Panama City, though their trucks were still on the rails. I assume they floated off their trucks when the water rose.

As far as I know, Amtrak will still refund tickets with no penalty when a corridor train is more than one hour late or a long distance train is more than two hours late. While it does not appear on the Amtrak.com policy page, if you Ask Julie about late trains she quotes this policy.
I have been on MANY two or more hour late LD trains, and with the exception of our 20 hour late derailed Meteor in January, we've never gotten any refunds or compensation of any kind for it. Think about how consistently late the EB has been this summer. Have all those passengers been given full refunds? I think it's much more likely that Julie's info is out of date.

CSX had several dozen cars (box cars) of a freight train topple over in Panama City, apparently in the Western (less intense) Eye Wall.

Apparently it was on a short line, not CSX, since CSX does not go to Panama City, notwithstanding what the Weather Channel reporter said, which I quoted above.
154 mph sustained winds will do that. Just be glad you weren't near Mexico Beach, its disheartening. I grew up going next door to Port St. Joe every year to visit family.

Storm chaser had to abandon his truck in Mexico Beach because of the rising tide, he left his camera on as it floated away.

https://www.facebook.com/foxsanantonio/videos/662977334103158/UzpfSTI2NTE5MjY0OjMwNjA2MTEyOTQ5OTQxNDoxMDowOjE1NDEwNTU1OTk6NTA4NjI2MjE4NzE2MTU1OTQ4NA/

Thats what 154 mph sounds like.

I have been on MANY two or more hour late LD trains, and with the exception of our 20 hour late derailed Meteor in January, we've never gotten any refunds or compensation of any kind for it. Think about how consistently late the EB has been this summer. Have all those passengers been given full refunds? I think it's much more likely that Julie's info is out of date.
The question is asking whether someone can cancel the trip if the train is significantly late (or a rebooked itinerary results in a significantly later arrival to the endpoint.) And yes, as recently as a couple months ago I was able to cancel a trip due to a significantly delayed Empire Builder without penalty, booked at the Value fare. The fare paid was refunded immediately after I asked at the Amtrak counter at MSP, with the companion coupon ultimately turning into a transportation voucher after some intervention from Customer Relations. (Normally, that Value fare would result in a 25% fee to get a refund, or even no refund at all since it was technically asked for after scheduled departure.)

If you decide to take the trip anyways, that's a different story, and I highly doubt Amtrak would refund in that case; after all, they did transport you to your destination. A call or email to Customer Relations may result in a goodwill voucher, but that would be dependent on whatever Customer Relations determines is appropriate.

The question is asking whether someone can cancel the trip if the train is significantly late (or a rebooked itinerary results in a significantly later arrival to the endpoint.) And yes, as recently as a couple months ago I was able to cancel a trip due to a significantly delayed Empire Builder without penalty, booked at the Value fare. The fare paid was refunded immediately after I asked at the Amtrak counter at MSP, with the companion coupon ultimately turning into a transportation voucher after some intervention from Customer Relations. (Normally, that Value fare would result in a 25% fee to get a refund, or even no refund at all since it was technically asked for after scheduled departure.)

If you decide to take the trip anyways, that's a different story, and I highly doubt Amtrak would refund in that case; after all, they did transport you to your destination. A call or email to Customer Relations may result in a goodwill voucher, but that would be dependent on whatever Customer Relations determines is appropriate.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Yeah, that makes way more sense. Thanks.
default_ohmy.png

This morning Amtrak additionally canceled some of the Piedmont for today.

Must be problems/concerns between Savannah and Cary for the Star. Carolinian is running so it’s not the Norfolk Southern stretch.

Curiously the Crescent which runs further west in Georgia is still operating. I wonder why they cancelled Palmetto since it’s basically Meteor junior. Maybe they were concerned that mid day today would be the brunt of the storm

in the area which would explain Piedmont too.

10/11 Service Alert:

Scheduled Service Modified Due to Tropical StormThursday, October 11, 2018 3:15 PM ETTrain service in Florida impacted

Due to severe weather from Tropical Storm Michael, Amtrak is modifying service to Florida. For the safety of our customers and employees, the following train schedules will be adjusted:

The Piedmont (Charlotte – Raleigh) 77 & 78 are cancelled for today. No substitute transportation will be provided.

The Silver Star (New York – Miami) 91 & 92 will continue to operate from Miami to Jacksonville, Fla., today and Friday. No substitute transportation will be provided between Jacksonville, Fla., to New York.

The Palmetto (New York to Savannah, Ga.) 89 & 90 will operate between New York and Washington, D.C., today. No substitute transportation will be provided between Washington, D.C., to Savannah, Ga.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL. Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNEC on Twitter.

Looks like 19 has now been terminated in Washington DC presumably due to weather related problems on NS.

79 also appears to be disrupted possibly due to the same problem.

Incidentally Georgia saw its first Cat 3 Hurricane since 1898, yesterday.

Summarizing and filling in some details on the changes this afternoon/tonight. A washout near Danville has disrupted the Crescent while the NC State Service was disrupted by flash flood warnings between RGH and GRO.

19(11) terminated WAS. No alternate transportation available WAS-CLT. Passengers returned to origin.

20(11) terminates CLT. Alternate transportation provided CLT-WAS for passengers already onboard at ATL only.

76(11) canceled Alternate transportation provided CLT-RGH.

77(11) canceled. Were previously offered travel on 79 before it was terminated.

78(11) canceled. No alternate transportation provided.

79(11) terminated RGH. Alternate transportation provided RGH-CLT.

While nothing has been specifically stated, it sounds like 20(11) will turn as a late 19(11) in CLT.

Back