JFK Airtrain <--> Subway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add - for anybody determined to walk from AirTrain to the A train to avoid paying the $5 fee, this is the shortest walking route: https://goo.gl/maps/dQHSpE9y8PD2

It's a mile. I did it once, just to say I did it, without luggage. It wasn't pleasant, and I wouldn't want to do it with luggage, or at all in the heat or rain or snow.

If you want to avoid paying $5 and you have a MetroCard with at least $2.75 on it, one of the buses (Q10 Limited or B15 from Lefferts Blvd, or Q3, Q10 Limited/local, or B15 from Terminal 5) is almost certainly a better bet.

On a '15 visit to my Niece in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge area), Subway/Air Train R Line 86th to JFK, worked just fine for me. At $7, it sure beat the $75 "stuck in a Beltway traffic jam" taxicab on the way in.

Can you still hop off the Airtrain one station short of Howard Beach in the parking lot and walk across to Howard Beach Subway station? Once upon a time you could do that. Haven't been there for a while, so don;t know the current situation.
According to Google Maps, it's an 11 minute walk from Lefferts Blvd AirTrain station to the Howard Beach Subway station. So it's definitely walkable, but I don't quite see why someone would do that when you're already on the AirTrain.
Isn't exit at Lefferts Blvd station free? It used to be so and you could avoid the $5 charge at Howard Beach by walking from Lefferts Blvd. My question was whether that is still possible or not. Maybe they added an exit fee at Lefferts Blvd since then. So I guess you missed the point of the question. Oh well.
You can ride the AirTrain to the Howard Beach Station and then ride the escalators down to the parking area. From there you could walk to the subway by leaving through the entry gates, and down the fence line there to the subway yes.

I often park my car in front of the Howard Beach Airtrain station instead of Lefferts BLVD since when you enter its not super apparent that the parking lot extends that far, so you can always park much closer to the station there. It takes less time to ride the extra stop then it would to walk further from the Lefferts station.

I guess it would depend on how much that $5 means to you, and what season it is in NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back