1950's Zephyr food V Boxed Meals...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this what we're talking about?

SuperlinerPiano.jpg
That's it!

While I like to be as comfortable as I can get away with, dressing up certainly can make things run smoother. The only times I've been upgraded on an airplane were times that I was traveling while dressed up.

Dressing to impress can't hurt...

Notice how the passengers are well dressed. Nothing even close to that on today's trains.
If you travel to other industrialized democracies you'll eventually notice that many Americans dress like slobs by comparison, including yours truly. That being said, why would anyone feel the need to dress up smartly for a visit to a dining car that resembles a 1980's fast food booth?

While I like to be as comfortable as I can get away with, dressing up certainly can make things run smoother. The only times I've been upgraded on an airplane were times that I was traveling while dressed up. Dressing to impress can't hurt...
Dressing extra nice can move you up all the way up from #10 to #9 on the premium cabin priority list.

01. Premium Booking

02. Premium Upgrade

03. Deadheads

04. Top Tier Status

05. Middle Tier Status

06. Military

07. Non-Revenue Staff

08. Non-Revenue F&F

09. Random people dressed formally

10. Random people dressed casually

I don't do it to be set aside. I do it because you never know who you will meet. For instance I met Paul McCartney's North American Tour Manager on the Coast Starlight out of Portland a few years back in the diner. Ended up talking to him for four hours about music in the parlor car.
I didn’t know they played music in the parlor car on the CS.

But, like Groucho, I did once shoot an elephant in my pajamas. (Someone else can provide the punchline.)
When the Superliner Is were new, the lower level of the Sightseer Lounges were equipped with an electric piano. Nobody to play them, though....
Wait, really? (I'm surprised at the first part, not really the second part).
Yep. They disappeared pretty fast, though.

The Superliner II Sightseers never did have them, though.

I'm curious how the conversation would go if I was sitting across the dinning table from someone wearing a black Ostrich feather hat shaped like a question mark. One of the many examples of ridiculous taste worn back in the day.

I'm good with the not overdressed look I've noticed from most diners these days.

Wear what you brung, no tank tops please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious how the conversation would go if I was sitting across the dinning table from someone wearing a black Ostrich feather hat shaped like a question mark. One of the many examples of ridiculous taste worn back in the day.

I'm good with the not overdressed look I've noticed from most diners these days.

Wear what you brung, no tank tops please.
I was laughing about the very same thing. Those hats are beyond classic-Hell, I'd wear one
default_unsure.png
default_wacko.png
default_huh.png
default_ohmy.png
default_biggrin.png

The film was a promotional thing. The fact that only the ladies wearing the hats were filmed close up highlights them as costumed film extras, rather than everyday passengers.

Ed.

Back