July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it seems reasonable that they would give coach passengers the salad box as well, but naturally nobody can guess what Amtrak will do next.

The fact that the auto train serves a hot dinner to all passengers and a continental breakfast is just more reason for them to go to box dinners, silly to pay so many servers and chefs just for 1 meal.

You do realize that the auto train hasn't had a hot breakfast in years? Their breakast is about the same as the breakfast box.
They do at least heat up the bagels.
That is nice. As simple as it was, the LSA offering to heat up my ham croissant from the breakfast box on the Empire Builder made a big difference to me.

Well it seems reasonable that they would give coach passengers the salad box as well, but naturally nobody can guess what Amtrak will do next.

The fact that the auto train serves a hot dinner to all passengers and a continental breakfast is just more reason for them to go to box dinners, silly to pay so many servers and chefs just for 1 meal.
However the Auto Train only has two consists, and considering the length of the trip, has very high prices. So in many ways paying staff to run the three dining cars is completely justifiable.

We did the CL over the last week – WAS-CHI August 12 – CHI-WAS August 17

Something I do not see in this thread is the accessibility of the packaging. Hubby has grip problems in his fingers. While I appreciate and understand the health issues under consideration in keeping the separate items safe – he would have had a difficult time opening everything if he was by himself. We talked about the fact that he could ask for assistance he said it could be embarrassing.

He had the antipasto plate in both directions (only thing slightly appealing to him). The marinated veggie plate could be a little deeper bottom. When I removed the top for him the plate tipped and the oil spilled on our table and an olive fell off. I commented that I was happy we ate in the ‘dining’ area instead of our room because at least it was easier to clean. The bean salad was taped closed in a way that was difficult to get the tape started to come off.

On one leg I had the chicken salad – I am wondering if we are just too klutzy to eat these meals. The chicken needed to be cut – and for the first few times I attempted the bowl tilted and I was able to catch it before it dumped my contents.

On the return trip I decided to open the ‘sustainable’ box and make it like a large placemat. This helped catch the things that fell out of my individual packages.

The breakfast is more food than either of us would normally finish in a morning. I kept the muffins and bars to have for lunch. The fruit was inconsistent. The 29 train had delicious pineapple / cantaloupe / honeydew – the 30 train I barely ate the grapes – all the other fruit was just not tasty at all.

We had a long delay overnight on the 30 and were told first thing in the morning that we would be at least 3 hours late into DC. (shocking I know
default_wink.png
) I had brought cereal for us to have in the late morning – and more lunch type food so we were prepared. Although in another thread I heard that they brought in Chick-Fil-A meals – that did not happen. Around 1:30 our attendant asked if we wanted a lunch box. We got one – it contained a bag of wheat thins – bag of goldfish – bag of welch’s fruit snack – 2 oreo cookies – rondele cheese – beef salami – knife – and the tiniest pack of tic-tacs that I have even seen (4). It was enough to tide us over until 4

What a terrible service. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad I had the chance to ride this train when it had proper diner service, but I shan't ride it, or any other overnite train that doesn't have proper diner service....and neither should you.

The wife just rode first class on the CL and the LSL. Along with your boxed meals you get a "gift pack" consisting of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, soap, sewing kit, shower cap, nail file, Q-Tips and a cotton ball.

Bon appetite!

jb

What a terrible service. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad I had the chance to ride this train when it had proper diner service, but I shan't ride it, or any other overnite train that doesn't have proper diner service....and neither should you.
It's one thing to decide not to ride any train again that doesn't have proper dining service. Totally up to you, and I understand it. But telling someone else what to do or what not to do based on what YOU like or don't like is another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I and many others plan to ignore your gratuitous campaign and keep riding [emoji12]

Here's the thing: I almost certainly won't be riding any train that has the current menu found on the LSL and CL, so I'm with you on that. However as JayPea said, it's not at all your place to tell people that they should stop riding based on what you personally don't find acceptable for an overnight train. People can decide for themselves what they will and won't accept when traveling. You don't need to make that decision for them.

Not to mention that some members of this board don't ride in sleeper and don't eat in the diner, so it makes you look super entitled.

Not to mention that some members of this board don't ride in sleeper and don't eat in the diner, so it makes you look super entitled.
I was addressing the rider who wrote the review and was thus a sleeper and diner customer! People who don't use the diner shouldn't really be concerned with this thread anyhow!

We had a long delay overnight on the 30 and were told first thing in the morning that we would be at least 3 hours late into DC. (shocking I know
default_wink.png
) I had brought cereal for us to have in the late morning – and more lunch type food so we were prepared. Although in another thread I heard that they brought in Chick-Fil-A meals – that did not happen. Around 1:30 our attendant asked if we wanted a lunch box. We got one – it contained a bag of wheat thins – bag of goldfish – bag of welch’s fruit snack – 2 oreo cookies – rondele cheese – beef salami – knife – and the tiniest pack of tic-tacs that I have even seen (4). It was enough to tide us over until 4
That blue lunch box isn't a "contemporary and fresh" lunch box as part of the service changes. It's the "OMG we're so late and need to keep the natives happy but we can't prepare beef stew because they took our dining car away" box. The Silver Star starting carrying those blue boxes when it lost the dining car. They have a long shelf life but will likely shorten the lives of those who eat everything in them. Ironic... haha.

When I took my first airplane flight (EA DC-8 Idelwild to Miami) my parents dressed me in a sportcoat and tie. I'm going to Philly in Sept for the NECA Convention/trade Show, and San Diego in November and will not have a sport jacket, suit, or tie with me. I've take 3 cruises in the last 4 years, a formal night is jacket and tie, no longer a tux. Standards and conventions have changed, and not liking it doesn't change the reality that it has occurred, and that most of the population are fine with it.

I have seen people dress up for dinner on the Meteor--sometimes it's people who have not taken a long-distance (sometimes not any) train before, and dressing for dinner is part of the adventure.

PVD--You will blend in perfectly in Philly if you wear a Phillies T-shirt, sweatshirt, and/or cap
default_smile.png
. Do not, under any circumstances, wear anything that says "Mets."
default_mosking.gif

I think the "casualization" of society is a little sad, I can't say I would consider myself dressed up for dinner on the train, but I will put on long pants, and a collared shirt, no matter what I wore lounging around all day.

I was in Philly at the Navy Yard ( course design project at the Penn State Engineering facility) for a week last summer, but the Phillies were on the road... Many years ago (81-82) i drove down for a Rangers Flyers playoff game at the old Spectrum and impetuous youth that I was, wore my Rangers jersey.

I was in Philly at the Navy Yard ( course design project at the Penn State Engineering facility) for a week last summer, but the Phillies were on the road... Many years ago (81-82) i drove down for a Rangers Flyers playoff game at the old Spectrum and impetuous youth that I was, wore my Rangers jersey.
And you lived to tell the tale!
default_smile.png

Ingredient list for short ribs dinner

attachicon.gif
4230E65A-9BAC-4EED-A122-E33FF17DDFAA.jpeg
Excellent.

I mean, neither my girlfriend nor I can actually eat that (thanks to my other dietary restriction), but the important thing is, we can *tell*. Now, if we could get those published for all the meals, it would probably be crystal clear that we have to bring all of our own food. :-(

Note number 6: revenue allocation!
"Ticket Revenue Allocation." That sounds like a highly nebulous term that would allow some "Voodoo Economics." [emoji57][emoji33] [emoji54]
Voodoo or not, there has to be a documented method of transferring some funds from the transportation line to the F&B line, of the total ticket revenues collected. At present the actual value of the food consumed by Sleeper passengers according to the price list on the menu is what is transferred. That is what they are referring to.

Back