Crescent trip question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I am taking a round trip on the Crescent between NYP to Atlanta this week. It was a last minute booking due to a family emergency. Got a sleeper both ways. Assuming a fairly normal train schedule what meals should I expect to get in the diner? Just trying to figure out if I need to eat before boarding in ATL on the way home. Scheduled departure is after 8 PM. (And I’m figuring later due to the typical OTP of the Crescent)

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Crescent from Atlanta to New York a few years ago (Christmas 2015) and got dinner upon boarding. The train was about an hour late and it seemed like the dining car was kept open specifically for passengers boarding in Atlanta.

The Crescent is often Late into ATL from NOL, so I suggest you have a nice Dinner before arriving @ the Station.(There's nothing in the Station Area)

If it does happen to arrive while the Diner is still open,( Miracles do happen!) you will be able to get some Coffee,Desert or a Drink in the Diner if you don't feel like eating a whole meal.

You will have Breakast the next morning in the Diner, and the trip from WAS-NYP should go fairly fast if nothing happens on the NEC or the Crescent isn't delayed more in route. Have a nice Lunch in the Apple upon arrival.

If the train is so late they stop serving before Atlanta (never had that problem on any of my trips), there is an excellent Thai restaurant (Tuk Tuk Thai) across Peachtree and a few blocks north.

I believe Atlanta is last call for dinner UNLESS the train is significantly delayed. But, if the train is delayed, you should know by checking the train status. If it appears to be close to on time you should be OK having dinner on board; if it's running 30-45 minutes late or more then grab a bite near the station. If they are still serving when you board, grab a dessert and coffee as Bob suggests.

Thankfully it's this Thursday and then returning Saturday/Sunday so should be safe in that regard.
default_smile.png
Lunch in the big apple on return will depend on layover time. I have to then continue on to Springfield, MA (my true start point) so if I miss my scheduled Northeast Regional connection due to late Crescent (which I am prepared for) I'll have to figure out the next one I can get on that connects to the Springfield line.

On the way there (southbound), you'll be getting dinner and breakfast. On the way back (northbound), you'll be getting dinner, breakfast, and lunch. When you board #20, you should head right to the dining car once you board, head right to the dining car, since they stop seating passengers at 8:30 PM.

Just a caution! I rode the Crescent New Orleans to NYC in June 2018. We departed NOL on time but due to freight traffic and a train breaking down in front of us, we arrived Atlanta 2 AM so I am sure the diner was closed - even the snack cafe. Very late arrivals in Atlanta due to freight traffic in Alabama is common this summer so eat dinner before boarding the Crescent in Atlanta.

Thanks for the info. And Im assuming on the southbound trip from NYP to ATL it would be dinner and breakfast?
Yep, if the Crescent still has a Diner serving Real Food when you ride??
It certainly does. He is traveling next week.

Northbound, you would get dinner if #20 isn't too far behind, but lately has been too late for that. Breakfast and lunch the next day.

Several years ago we took the Crescent to Washington from Atlanta. Rather than have a late dinner, or perhaps miss it altogether, we took a 5 minute walk down Peachtree to a good pizza at Mellow Mushroom. There is also a Chipotle’s a bit closer. It was close to 9 when we were on the way - but dinner was still being offered, “if we hurried”. At that hour a quiet glass of wine in our room was more enjoyable.

On 19 today for the first leg. Stranded at Wilmington at the moment due to debris fire under the rear sleeper and baggage car. Apparently kicked up some debris from the tracks and it caught fire from the friction. Due to the design of the baggage car the firemen are having trouble getting to the source. I am in the affected sleeper car hopefully they don’t end up ditching the two cars here. If that happens and I get deferred I’ll just head home as I would miss the thing I am traveling for. Before anyone suggests flying the rest of the way I don’t fly. [emoji12]

Good luck!
thanks. Underway now. We finally ended up ditching the baggage car and they moved the baggage into the rear sleeper which is currently off limits as they are also airing it out from the fire. They will be adding a new baggage car in DC and I will then be able to return to my room. Thankfully killing the way to DC eating in the diner as they started dinner as soon as we departed. Diner crew on this train is outstanding and food is good.

When we got to dc they put a new baggage car on with the diesel locomotive and as a result had to move all the luggage from the rear sleeper to the front of the train. Upon inspecting the rear sleeper in DC it thankfully got a clean bill of health so I was able to return to my room. Great diner crew on this train, I would hope crescent continues with a full diner I’d hate to see them lose their jobs.

BTW 20(19) got stuck behind a disabled freight which crew went dead on the law last night about 50 miles west of Atlanta and is now running about 6 hours down.
Yes I passed that train passed us early yesterday morning. We randomly stopped on a siding near the SC/NC border and I wondered if it might be we were meeting 20 and sure enough it was 20. I am currently on my return leg home. It is the same trainset I was on coming down (Figured it would be with the way the timing was) and the same sleeper (Croton River.) Unsurprisingly was about 2 hours late due mostly to Norfolk Southern in Alabama getting through Tuscaloosa/Birmingham area (and lost about 15 minutes or so or more just before Atlanta.) Chuckled when I saw a warning sign up in the station saying that due to Norfolk Southern freight trains customers should expect significant delays between Atlanta and New Orleans. Is it bad like this year round between Meridian and Atlanta or is it a seasonal thing?

BTW 20(19) got stuck behind a disabled freight which crew went dead on the law last night about 50 miles west of Atlanta and is now running about 6 hours down.
Yes I passed that train passed us early yesterday morning. We randomly stopped on a siding near the SC/NC border and I wondered if it might be we were meeting 20 and sure enough it was 20. I am currently on my return leg home. It is the same trainset I was on coming down (Figured it would be with the way the timing was) and the same sleeper (Croton River.) Unsurprisingly was about 2 hours late due mostly to Norfolk Southern in Alabama getting through Tuscaloosa/Birmingham area (and lost about 15 minutes or so or more just before Atlanta.) Chuckled when I saw a warning sign up in the station saying that due to Norfolk Southern freight trains customers should expect significant delays between Atlanta and New Orleans. Is it bad like this year round between Meridian and Atlanta or is it a seasonal thing?
Not necessarily seasonal. Just the way NS does business.

Back