Amtrak Dining Cuts Petition

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Amtrak replacing casual dining with airline food”.
Amtrak better never dare put any airline food like this in front of me...

IMG_3204.JPG

4590IMG_78745781840218.jpeg

7544image.jpg

6961image.jpg

default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
“Amtrak replacing casual dining with airline food”.
Amtrak better never dare put any airline food like this in front of me...

IMG_3204.JPG

4590IMG_78745781840218.jpeg

7544image.jpg

6961image.jpg

default_tongue.png
Exactly! Whoever started that petition might has well have called it "We need to stop Amtrak changing food on a couple trains" No info whatsoever was given.

Honestly, If those pics show what we're getting on the LSL and CL, I'm not exactly harboring many regrets...

Honestly, If those pics show what we're getting on the LSL and CL, I'm not exactly harboring many regrets..
You didn't notice the "airlinemeals.net" in the lower right corner of those images?

Or is this some sort of (sarcasm)² ?

1,052 have signed so far. Let's keep going folks!

And...Amtrak ain't gonna be serving international flagship business or first class airline food. It will be worse than coach and eventually nothing at all. A crushed, borderline expired Chobani along with a cold, moldy roll made with heavily GMO ingredients, served prison-style by being slid on the floor underneath the large gap under your door.

Keep getting those signatures!

1,052 have signed so far. Let's keep going folks!

And...Amtrak ain't gonna be serving international flagship business or first class airline food. It will be worse than coach and eventually nothing at all. A crushed, borderline expired Chobani along with a cold, moldy roll made with heavily GMO ingredients, served prison-style by being slid on the floor underneath the large gap under your door.

Moldy, really? Amtrak is trying to cut costs, not poison their passengers.
And yes, I know youre intentionally exaggerating, but seriously, your example is so far removed from reality or this situation that it holds no bearing here, whatsoever.

It will be worse than coach and eventually nothing at all. A crushed, borderline expired Chobani along with a cold, moldy roll made with heavily GMO ingredients, served prison-style by being slid on the floor underneath the large gap under your door.

Honest question, when was the last time you rode coach? Because coach currently gets nothing, so I'm not sure how we can go from "worse than nothing" to "nothing at all."

Also, this kind of fear mongering that Amtrak will somehow start feeding Amtrak sleeper passengers moldy bread goes so far as to discredit all those advocating for quality meal service, as we get lumped into those who think that Amtrak, left to its own devices, will start poisoning passengers.

So no, I'm not going to advocate people sign a petition when it's being presented in the same thread as Amtrak wanting to feed passengers moldy bread.

Tommy, are you a Railfan as well? Do you also refuse to ride steam excursions that serve box lunches? Just curious. with a few exceptions like the tennessee valley, most excursions serve box meals. Including the #261 when they offer a 2 day trip to Duluth. Yes... That's 2 days of box lunches! The horror!

And yes, I know youre intentionally exaggerating, but seriously, your example is so far removed from reality or this situation that it holds no bearing here, whatsoever.
Tommy's post doesn't seem much more removed from reality than Walt's post. Two equally exaggerated posts but for some reason you only took one of them seriously.

It will be worse than coach and eventually nothing at all. A crushed, borderline expired Chobani along with a cold, moldy roll made with heavily GMO ingredients, served prison-style by being slid on the floor underneath the large gap under your door. Keep getting those signatures!
Honest question, when was the last time you rode coach? Because coach currently gets nothing, so I'm not sure how we can go from "worse than nothing" to "nothing at all."
Honest question, why did you quietly edit out the part where he refers to international flights? If we translate "international" into its usual intended meaning of "intercontinental" then yes those flights generally come with food, even in coach. In fact I cannot think of a single example that did not.

Honest question, why did you quietly edit out the part where he refers to international flights? If we translate "international" into its usual intended meaning of "intercontinental" then yes those flights generally come with food, even in coach. In fact I cannot think of a single example that did not.
I asssumed (perhaps wrongly) that he was referring to Amtrak coach, not intercontinental coach flights. If I'm wrong about that, then I'll concede there's a middle ground between "intercontinental coach airline food" and nothing at all, though since I've never taken intercontinental coach flights I'm not sure how much room there is to be worse than that food.

I asssumed (perhaps wrongly) that he was referring to Amtrak coach, not intercontinental coach flights. If I'm wrong about that, then I'll concede there's a middle ground between "intercontinental coach airline food" and nothing at all, though since I've never taken intercontinental coach flights I'm not sure how much room there is to be worse than that food.
Many years ago, I flew to Europe on JAT, Yugoslavia's national ariline. We were crammed in pretty tight in coach, but one of my traveling companions said he didn't mind, as long as we were in the "no goats" section of the plane.

Then dinner was served. Mystery meat in mystery sauce. None of us could get "goat" out of our minds.
default_tongue.png

Moral of the story: A good cold boxed dinner is better than some hot meals.

What exactly is wrong with GMO ingredients other than some indivdual's individual obsessions?
default_tongue.png
Now then popcorn time I guess
default_biggrin.png
What exactly was wrong with crossbreeding Apis mellifera scutellata or the rampant use of persistent organic compounds or initiating a self-amplifying CO2 chain reaction? I'm sure casually introducing widespread irreversible changes to our one and only livable environment will have no unintended consequences whatsoever. Never been a problem before so no reason to be cautious about it now.

I fly international long haul coach several times a year, although almost never on U.S. carriers. The food is fine. Although I still think the new meals as described by Amtrak sound even better. But we haven't seen anything yet – way too soon to push the panic button.

– way too soon to push the panic button.
Here on AU it's never too soon to push the panic button.
default_help.gif
Remember, this is Amtrak. Never wait to push the panic button. In fact, we should have anticipated this a year ago and panicked then. At least we'd be over the denial and and anger stages and be almost through depression to acceptance by now.

I refuse to ride any LD train without proper dining car service. Cold cuts of questionable provenance slid under the door will reduce LD ridership to the point where the LD system will be entirely scrapped.

American rail is of such pathetic performance that amenities like a nice dining and sleeper car experience were barely enough to allow me to rationalize the absurdly slow trip and interminable delays. With those gone, I'll just fly everywhere.

Absent those amenities, it would take a rail system on par with Europe, Japan or China to get me to ride again.

Amtrak are either delusional in this respect, or are deliberately planting the seeds to ultimately scuttle the entire system.

I refuse to ride any LD train without proper dining car service. Cold cuts of questionable provenance slid under the door will reduce LD ridership to the point where the LD system will be entirely scrapped.
That would be bad...if that were at all the thing we're talking about.

If a made-up example isn't effective in proving your point, don't keep using it.

That would be bad...if that were at all the thing we're talking about.

If a made-up example isn't effective in proving your point, don't keep using it.
Cpo now you're begging the question.

Back