98 Silver Meteor Derails in SAV (1/3/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speculation but it appears that 98's derailed car's passengers were put on auto train ? Any one confirm or deny ?
Pax and baggage were moved to the Star. No one was sent to the Auto Train.
Due to CSX, the crew timing out, and the derailment, were now running 15 hours late.

Last edited by a moderator:
So those that go transferred to the Star appear to be doing slightly better than those that remained on the Meteor, as the Star is nearing Cary while the Meteor is getting to Charleston?
It seems that way. We just pulled into Charleston, so were about 16 hours behind schedule. On the bright side, theyre about to serve lunch. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) the dining car is running low on food, so fingers crossed that they get a delivery for dinner.

Do you think I have a shot at a refund, given were 16 hours late and the train derailed?

So what's the story with 52 of the 3rd? According to asm.transitdocs.com, it has been sitting still in Yemassee all morning.

53 of the 3rd will arrive Sanford this afternoon, and 91 of the 3rd is already in central Florida. 97 of the 3rd just made it to Savannah, 6 hours late. 92 of the 3rd is moving through NC. 98 of the 3rd, heaven help you.

So those that go transferred to the Star appear to be doing slightly better than those that remained on the Meteor, as the Star is nearing Cary while the Meteor is getting to Charleston?
It seems that way. We just pulled into Charleston, so were about 16 hours behind schedule. On the bright side, theyre about to serve lunch. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) the dining car is running low on food, so fingers crossed that they get a delivery for dinner.

Do you think I have a shot at a refund, given were 16 hours late and the train derailed?
Do you feel it's Amtrak's fault that the weather caused these delays?

It seems that way. We just pulled into Charleston, so were about 16 hours behind schedule. On the bright side, theyre about to serve lunch. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) the dining car is running low on food, so fingers crossed that they get a delivery for dinner.Do you think I have a shot at a refund, given were 16 hours late and the train derailed?
No. That said, with us expected to arrive about 3am, we basically lost a day. And the weather itself didn’t cause the main delay. The crew did perform a maneuver at Savannah that resulted in a derailment. A derailment that was not the expected result of the maneuver, but the weather itself did not cause the derailment. That said, if Amtrak really wouldn’t be considered responsible for the derailment of their own equipment, I’m fine with no refund.

It seems that way. We just pulled into Charleston, so were about 16 hours behind schedule. On the bright side, theyre about to serve lunch. Apparently (and unsurprisingly) the dining car is running low on food, so fingers crossed that they get a delivery for dinner.Do you think I have a shot at a refund, given were 16 hours late and the train derailed?
No. That said, with us expected to arrive about 3am, we basically lost a day. And the weather itself didn’t cause the main delay. The crew did perform a maneuver at Savannah that resulted in a derailment. A derailment that was not the expected result of the maneuver, but the weather itself did not cause the derailment. That said, if Amtrak really wouldn’t be considered responsible for the derailment of their own equipment, I’m fine with no refund.
As I understand it, it was a malfunctioning switch due to the weather.

As I understand it, it was a malfunctioning switch due to the weather.
That could be it. I’m going by what the crew told us and what we saw.

And though it's amtrak equipment it's csx tracks which caused the derailment. That being said, would one expect a voucher or refund if a plane slid off the runway with no injuries?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

And though it's amtrak equipment it's csx tracks which caused the derailment. That being said, would one expect a voucher or refund if a plane slid off the runway with no injuries?

My main problem is that I’m 17 hours late. Instead of getting in 11:00 am today, it’ll be 3:00 A.M tomorrow

My main problem is that I’m 17 hours late. Instead of getting in 11:00 am today, it’ll be 3:00 A.M tomorrow
I think in most cases people on the airplane would get compensation. You should too IMHO. I apologize for the tone of my post minimizing your inconvenience. That was not my intention.

I think in most cases people on the airplane would get compensation. You should too IMHO. I apologize for the tone of my post minimizing your inconvenience. That was not my intention.

I know what you meant and appreciate you saying that

Yesterdays 52 and 89 are showing still sitting in Charleston. I know todays 52 is canceled but when will 52 (3) get to Lorton?

Im with the "Call Customer Relations when you get home and get a Goodwill Voucher" posters!

Hopefully you'll get something besides Amstew on Rice for Dinner! Sleeper pax usually get first call in the Diner in situations like this!

Glad everyone is Safe and hopefully the equipment will be OK, Amtrak needs to lose equipment like Florida needs a Freeze!

Im with the "Call Customer Relations when you get home and get a Goodwill Voucher" posters!

Hopefully you'll get something besides Amstew on Rice for Dinner! Sleeper pax usually get first call in the Diner in situations like this!

Glad everyone is Safe and hopefully the equipment will be OK, Amtrak needs to lose equipment like Florida needs a Freeze!
Theres food/ingredients waiting for us at Florence (this coming stop), so it seems like the dining car will be fully stocked for dinner. So (with luck) it seems like we wont get Amstew.

I'm curious what they are going to load at Florence because the nearest commissary is at WAS. If it's ingredients you might be getting fresh meals. But could be boxes from fast food.

I'm curious what they are going to load at Florence because the nearest commissary is at WAS. If it's ingredients you might be getting fresh meals. But could be boxes from fast food.
I believe theyve sent a truck down from WAS. Were stopping in FLO in 10 min, so I guess Im about to find out for sure.

I believe theyve sent a truck down from WAS. Were stopping in FLO in 10 min, so I guess Im about to find out for sure.
Or Maybe one of the Auto Trains dropped off food since it is Florence...

We’re almost certainly gonna have to change crews again. Last time it took about 6 hours. Our ETA keeps getting later, and we’re currently 16h 48m behind schedule. Our current ETA is 3:50 A.M, but given the likely crew change and that we can’t seem to get a break, I am positive it will be later than that.

We had to go to SAV to see a doctor, and stopped by the station. 98 was there, they were loading the cranes onto their trucks, and 98 left heading south at 2:25pm. Well, I have to retrace my tongue. There was a train in station at Savannah with sleepers and a diner, and a baggage car plus the other stuff. it left heading to the left out of the station, which is south. When it comes in from the left, it is heading north. CJ

Back