98 Silver Meteor Derails in SAV (1/3/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpotisch

Engineer
So funny story:

Were currently at the Savannah station. One of the switches leading in (like many switches along the way) was frozen, so we had to overshoot and back back in. Heres where things get interesting. Upon backing in, the baggage car passed back over the frozen switch, the switch suddenly popped to the other direction, and now our V-II baggage car has derailed and is missing its wheels. We now have to wait for the CRANE to come and put it all back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
So funny story:

Were currently at the Savannah station. One of the switches leading in (like many switches along the way) was frozen, so we had to overshoot and back back in. Heres where things get interesting. Upon backing in, the baggage car passed back over the frozen switch, the switch suddenly popped to the other direction, and now our V-II baggage car has derailed and is missing its wheels. We now have to wait for the CRANE to come and put it all back together.
FUNNN

On the bright side, we’ve got a suitcase in that derailed car.

Because of the Northeast “Bomb Cyclone”, we were already about two hours behind (mostly from frozen switches). So it’s two hours + the time it takes to put the baggage car back together.

My main fear right now...

Amstew

(Dunn-dunn-dunnnnnn)

USA Today says there was a frozen switch which apparently opened at the wrong time: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/03/amtrak-passenger-train-derails-near-station-savannah-ga/1002601001/

Along the way, winter storm weather affected the tracks and as the train approached the Savannah station, an announcement was made that a switch was frozen, Potischman told the AJC.

“The goal was to overshoot it and back in to the platform,” he said.

The switch instead opened, causing the cars at the back of the train to derail, Potischman told the newspaper.
So if I'm understanding the terminology correctly - it appears normally the train pulls forward into the station, but because of the frozen switch they bypassed the station then tried to back into it?

I just received s notice that there is a Service Disruption on the 98 today. Likely related to the derailment in Savanah yesterday.

We are scheduled to begin our trip cross country from WPB to LAX.

Waiting on hold to hear from AMTRAK.

Moderators: Please Correct Title

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

USA Today says there was a frozen switch which apparently opened at the wrong time: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/03/amtrak-passenger-train-derails-near-station-savannah-ga/1002601001/

Along the way, winter storm weather affected the tracks and as the train approached the Savannah station, an announcement was made that a switch was frozen, Potischman told the AJC.

“The goal was to overshoot it and back in to the platform,” he said.

The switch instead opened, causing the cars at the back of the train to derail, Potischman told the newspaper.
So if I'm understanding the terminology correctly - it appears normally the train pulls forward into the station, but because of the frozen switch they bypassed the station then tried to back into it?
That's my reading of the situation as well.

Apparently, switch heaters on CSX do not exist in Savannah, or do not work properly in Savannah.

Could be the derailment, though I'd think it would be cleared up before your train gets there. Could be because of the weather - snow and ice in the south, snow and wind up north.

In a likely-related development, it appears that 89(3) has been sitting at CHS since arriving there last night, and hasn't yet proceeded further south towards Savannah. Interestingly, it isn't indicated with service disruption status, though 89(4) is.

In a likely-related development, it appears that 89(3) has been sitting at CHS since arriving there last night, and hasn't yet proceeded further south towards Savannah. Interestingly, it isn't indicated with service disruption status, though 89(4) is.
I think the tracks are bad in SC, so they may not move further south. Charleston got 6+" of snow. 90 was cancelled, which I assume 89 turns to be??

So glad you're ok. Are you moving yet?

Does anyone know which sleeper car derailed? Was it operated as 9813?

I was supposed to be on this train, in 9813.
Per a tracking map, they are stopped somewhere between Yemassee and Charleston.

asm.transitdocs.com/

I'm holed up here at home, 20 minutes away from the station. Not enough resources for this uncommon, once-in-30-years, storm to sand and salt. Work cancelled for two days. I-95 had been a parking lot. Last night all the snow and slush froze. Grocery stores on Tuesday were like the winter apocalypse was about to hit. I guess it did.

The following trains are canceled today with no alternate transportation:

52(04)

53(04)

89(04) canceled WAS-SAV

90(04) canceled SAV-WAS

91(04) canceled NYP-JAX, operates JAX-MIA on Jan 5

92(04) canceled JAX-NYP

97(04)

98(04)

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

I was advised by the agent at the WPB station this morning that the 97 arrived last night( this morning) at sometime after 1 AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Speculation but it appears that 98's derailed car's passengers were put on auto train ? Any one confirm or deny ?
If I were speculating, I would guess they would be put on the back of 90. Since 90's layover is overnight, much more time to switch and attach the cars....

My bad, I missed the word "passengers"

Basically, the switch leading to the platform was frozen and wasnt working, so the train had to overshoot and back into the station via a different (unfrozen) switch. As we backed into the station, the baggage car rolled onto the frozen switch, which in turn popped the other direction. This, one end of the car went one direction, the other end went the other direction, and the baggage car derailed (taking the next two cars with it).

The baggage car and sleepers 9812/9813 were decoupled and left behind. Additionally, the force of the switch and derailment actually moved the track itself 6 inches.

The goal was to overshoot it and back in to the platform, he said.

BTW, the Joel Potischman in that article is my dad. Not very important here, but 10 different reporters and news outlets contacted us upon learning we were passengers.

Back