Recent Amtrak Dining Car Food Photos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommylicious

OBS Chief
Anyone got recent Amtrak dining car food photos? Thought this would be a good compendium to have. Thanks posters in advance.

From this year...

Lunch on the Crescent.

Dinner on the Southwest Chief.

Breakfast on the Starlight.

Dinner on the PPC Starlight

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That Steak and Shrimp Plate looks pretty appetizing! Hope to try it on the Eagle/Sunset/Starlight on the way to PDX for the Gathering in Sept!
It was good. On outbound trip in Texas Eagle, the chef threw the shrimp on the grill to give them a little grilled edges. It was really good. Return trip they did not but was still good.

That Steak and Shrimp Plate looks pretty appetizing! Hope to try it on the Eagle/Sunset/Starlight on the way to PDX for the Gathering in Sept!

Well lucky for you... Baked potato is usually an option!
When I had dinner on the EB last month, they were out of baked potatoes. I could see where there might be a situation near the end of the run where they might run short, but this was at the BEGINNING of the run: dinner out of Seattle on #8. How they could have been out of baked potatoes at that point was beyond my feeble brain's ability to comprehend. :wacko:

When I had dinner on the EB last month, they were out of baked potatoes. I could see where there might be a situation near the end of the run where they might run short, but this was at the BEGINNING of the run: dinner out of Seattle on #8. How they could have been out of baked potatoes at that point was beyond my feeble brain's ability to comprehend. :wacko:
That's why I said "usually" because with Amtrak... Anything is possible! I once heard "oh we don't serve ice cream on the first night, but we will have it tomorrow" from the dining car staff. (Obviously when ice cream was still on the menu.) I've also heard baked potatoes being limited and rationed out to customers who order certain entrees.

Catering issues, where Aramark didn't have them available..? Certainly wouldn't be the first time Aramark has run out of something, and it certainly won't be the last.

I tried to load a photo but for some reason it wouldn't load. What I found on my recent trip is how the same entree will look very different from train to train, so I also expect from cook to cook even on the same route just different crews. On some trains, the chicken breast for example, had the option of mashed, rice, or baked, but on others, only mashed was allowed, the rice was for the Shrimp, and the baked potato for the Steak. The vegetable mix was the same across the board, probably heated in a bag in hot water. I saw people get the sauce without asking, sometimes on the chicken breast, other times in a plastic cup. Then none at all, if not requested (I told a table mate of the sauce, she asked and received, being told by request only because it is usually wasted).

I thought here is that we could post 10 photos of the same entree and see 10 slightly different meals. All would look very appealing, especially compared to normal airplane food.

We had this chicken breast which was cooked good, not dried out. We also had the Chicken and Bacon Carbonara, mistake. The wide noddles were a solid mass with the chicken and bacon sauce poured over. That photo doesn't want to load, but here is the photo of the chicken breast.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1500424980.873864.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1500424999.015787.jpg
The dessert was a chocolate bundt cake, I suspect? Both that and the steak and shrimp(and I know one other person got a shot of this), look like something I'd try for sure! Thanks to everyone else for posting their pics of the food they got on Amtrak, as well.

How is the bearnaise with the steak/shrimp? Is it better than the previous shallot jus? I liked the previous sauce haven't tried the bearnaise on Trak yet.

From the Southwest Chief in early June:

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1500951971.236047.jpg

The sauce and steak were actually very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back