AEM7 Retirement

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard though that sometimes after they put the pantograph down they later put it back up. I've heard about this with other AEM-7s in the past few weeks and I've seen it with a MARC HHP-8 with its pantograph down one day then later seeing that unit back in service.

what does a decommissioned AEM-7 look like in Washington compared to one just sitting there waiting for its next assignment?
Very simple...a decommissioned unit wouldn't be in Washington. They ship it to WIL, like the 927.

Last edited by a moderator:
Third rail: Any idea of what MARC would rather do ? Operate their hippos or park them and use the Amtrak AEM-7ACs ? As well what would Amtrak rather do as far as maintenance and operations ? Has any MARC trains have had an ACS-64 yet ?

So SEPTA's still operating AEM-7s... and poor MARC is still operating both AEM-7s and the benighted HHP-8s? I wonder if MARC has considered leasing some of the ex-Amtrak AEM-7s for a year or two in order to avoid maintaining the HHP-8s, which apparently *nobody* likes maintaining.

So SEPTA's still operating AEM-7s... and poor MARC is still operating both AEM-7s and the benighted HHP-8s? I wonder if MARC has considered leasing some of the ex-Amtrak AEM-7s for a year or two in order to avoid maintaining the HHP-8s, which apparently *nobody* likes maintaining.
Don't they have to be shopped/sent to maintenence every 14 days?

That wouldn't really be on MARC, singe they contract to Amtrak for maintenance. If Amtrak wanted to propose that to MARC management, they could.

Third rail: Any idea of what MARC would rather do ? Operate their hippos or park them and use the Amtrak AEM-7ACs ? As well what would Amtrak rather do as far as maintenance and operations ? Has any MARC trains have had an ACS-64 yet ?
It seems as though MARC has a grip on a few AEM-7s to protect the HHP-8s and diesels. They used the 946 today. MARC hasn't touched an ACS at this point.

the same two (942 and 946) are still in Washington, in fact 942 was in MARC service this morning

the same two (942 and 946) are still in Washington, in fact 942 was in MARC service this morning
The 942 must find retirement boring. It went out and found a new job! It is taking a joyride with the 928 to the FRA test facility. I believe they want to test some sort of voltage....catenary....difference...meters.....changeover...resistance....resistors??

Ok, I'm not sure what they are doing because the explanation made no sense to me since it was laced with jargon and enthusiasm. However, I remember those words as my eyes glazed over and I went down for the third time. :help:

Hopefully, KnightRider will see this and fill in the blanks.

I can currently see 947 and 928 sitting in the Chicago yard. I saw another earlier being pulled into one of the buildings, but didn't get a number.

29(11) 78, 146, 942, 928 all of course subject to good behavior.
As stated, Cap Limited #29 had AC unit 942 and DC unit 928 trailing behind the road power on July 11th. According to STB recordations filed in June at latest and some filed earlier, the FRA may be in control of up to 19 AEM-7s now. This includes 7 AC units and 12 DC units. The rest that have not been scrapped or are under FRA control have been handed over to Wells Fargo. Unconfirmed reports of sales to the southwestern electrified coal railroads (BMLP, Navajo, Deseret...). So basically, they are almost all "off the roster" (in terms of control).

Back