Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the encouragement! I will check this out every week or so. Do not claim to be perfect or all knowing, and may be off on dates a bit sometime, and do appreciate being corrected.

Regards 8400 and future service. Keep these facts in mind.

1. They have spent some $2-3 million on the car since 2011.

2. Yes, the shell was built by Budd back about 1983 along with 2300 and 2301, taken to Beech Gove, and completed 1987-1988 and put in test service. So, the car is 28-33 years old, but

3. The 8400 was used in regular service, with some down time, until stored in 2002. (The car was a prototype, which tested many unique items. The major "problem" with the car was it's unique a/c system (and with all those windows you sure need good a/c!). That and other issues had turned 8400 into a chronic "hangar queen", to use an aviation term. So, until then the car had 14 years of service, plus 3-4 since revival, total years of service (wear and tear) is only 18 years max.

4. As of early 2016 there were still some 5 ex-CB&Q/CZ and ex-NYC diners built in 1948 in active service. So, at best a Budd will last 68 years, 58 years at worst (1957 built NP diners). That means 8400 should have another 40-50 years of service!

Walter

200px-Radar2.gif

:ph34r:

It would be even nicer to have a second and a third. Will have to see what the shortest month delivers.

For those Trains Magazine subscribers... In the March Issue has several articles about Uncle Wick two of which are interviews with him. One conducted with Don Phillips who I'm not really a fan of, quotes Wick as saying about the Cars Are Fictional situation that They have a schedule set up for delivery and CAF will follow it.

The quote kind of made it seem like there was sort of a "deliver these cars by such and such a date or else".

I'm on 98 right now and I just ate lunch in the Annapolis diner. Thumbs up!! ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1487880425.216647.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1487880440.840982.jpg

When the train passed in the Orlando station, it appeared that a shiny new sleeper was deadheading. My "twin" suggested that it was not new, but one of the sleepers with new paint scheme. I think he is correct.

Back