Roomette luggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size is the maximum your bag can be?

I happen to be planning this rail trip solely as a vacation, I will be flying back as soon as I reach the other coast. If I can bring my big bag, the vacation will be a lot more interesting.

This is the big bag will it fit in my sleeper? (California Zephyr) http://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/samsonite-dk3-25%22-spinner/60287XXXX.html

I would only be carrying a few dresses, a computer monitor, and my PS3. ☺
Why would you need a computer monitor and a PS3 on a train? The whole reason for many to take the train is to unplug. ps, there is only one outlet in the room.

What size is the maximum your bag can be?

I happen to be planning this rail trip solely as a vacation, I will be flying back as soon as I reach the other coast. If I can bring my big bag, the vacation will be a lot more interesting.

This is the big bag will it fit in my sleeper? (California Zephyr) http://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/samsonite-dk3-25"-spinner/60287XXXX.html

I would only be carrying a few dresses, a computer monitor, and my PS3. ☺
Why would you need a computer monitor and a PS3 on a train? The whole reason for many to take the train is to unplug. ps, there is only one outlet in the room.
Oh. Okay . Then I will just take my backpack and purse.

There is not much storage space in the room, but plenty of storage space downstairs near the entry. Luggage that is stored there is easily accessible during your trip.

Sanari, bring whatever you want. If you want to play games, that fine. Don't let other people tell you how to enjoy your vacation.

The room only has one outlet, so bring an extension cord and a power strip. Also, I didn't see speakers on the list, but if your games make noise, please be sure to use headphones.

The roomette is pretty small, so I'd put whatever you need for your trip in your backpack and then store your suitcase downstairs. I usually set my backpack on the step to the top bunk to keep it out of the way. The headrest for the seat next to the step keeps it from falling down.

I will not be taking the suitcase anyway.

I am not that much of a gamer, and I thought that riding the train would just give me time to work at a game that I have always been too busy to play.

But if there is only one outlet, that means that there is not that much power. I have no interest in attaching a surge protector. The entire car is running off one switch, and I do not want to inconvenience the attendant if the power were to go out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually travel with a Load Warrior by Eagle Creek, which I measured to be 30x18x12. After I take out my full-size pillow, it slides under the seat. This makes it unavailable when the room is in the night configuration, but it does allow me to haul a bunch of stuff. The 12 inch end does not fit under the seat, so the luggage sticks out just a bit, and is between the seats at night. I believe the maximum depth of luggage going under the seat is more like 7 or 8 inches.

Oh, this bag measures 25x18x10, so it is much smaller! ☺️ But it is still big, haha!

WOW ! You asked for input, and respond with sarcasm ? Not nice.
nono.gif

There is a luggage rack near the train car entrance where you can store your luggage and you'll not need keep it inside the roomette.

WOW ! You asked for input, and respond with sarcasm ? Not nice.
nono.gif

There is a luggage rack near the train car entrance where you can store your luggage and you'll not need keep it inside the roomette.
I do not use sarcasm sir. I was being genuine in giving up the idea of using the suitcase. Is that so hard to believe?
Wow. Life must have been hard on you.

What gave me the idea was a YouTube video where a gentleman had a large suitcase uniquely stashed in his roommette. I was wondering how large it was.

Hi Sanari,

Many of us train fans don't get out in the real world that often, so a real human being like yourself can confuse us ;) .

I have used the power outlet to run a travel kettle, so anything less than about 500 watts power consumption should be ok.

If you can travel light, that can be best, but I am sure there would be room for a suitcase... you can arrange the upper bunk at 45 degrees and store a case up there, or as others said, there is a luggage store near the doors downstairs.

I always bring a book to read, but it is often unread, as I love looking out the window.

As Sarah says, it is your trip, so enjoy it in the way that suits you. :)

Good luck!

Ed.

One person in a roomette, plenty of room, plenty of power, bring whatever you'll figure it all out. Listen to Sarah.
I was wondering why no one qualified their answer to the number of occupants in the roomette. I have to agree. Having only one person makes a big change in the answer.

The only limit, I can think of, is a practical one. Can one successfully carry all their luggage, up the stairs (if required), down the narrow hallways, to their roomette, in one trip, without blocking the flow of traffic (others boarding too). If all this is true, I doubt any car attendant will care about the size and number of your luggage.

The train has plenty of power but the circuitry in your car can be surprisingly old. Whenever the electricity has gone out or been inoperative in my car the SCA's have almost universally blamed high wattage consumer electronics for the failure, especially those involved in heating or cooling. Perhaps one or two kettles at a time is fine but maybe the third one knocks everything off line for everyone in your car. Something to think about anyway.

I usually leave my suitcase on the luggage rack that is downstairs by the door where you enter the car. Most people here agree that we're not afraid to leave it unattended. But one time I had a lot of stuff with me as I was on a long two week cross country trip and I recall the SCA suggested that I might keep everything on the upper bunk which he left down for that purpose. I didn't love that solution as you gotta watch out for your head when you stand up but it worked out as the luggage racks were really crowded due to a full train.

Back