Amtrak should be worried

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure why he says Amtrak seating is similar to airline economy class. They are not even comparable. 2 abreast versus 3 abreast with much more legroom.

Having read the whole thing, I really haven't been swayed to purchase a bus ticket. I don't like buses for many of the same reasons I don't like planes. On the train, I can walk around, get food when I'm hungry and not whenever the bus staff is instructed to (I'm just assuming that's how his trip worked. That seems to be the most efficient way to do it.) Same goes with planes, you get to have your meal when its time to, not when you necessarily want to.

I am impressed by the price though, but then again, maybe not. A bus is much more susceptible to traffic jams, and having driven between Boston and NYC during rush hour, they aren't very fun.

The views on the NEC between NYP and BOS are worth the little extra cost, and I'd prefer a DiGiorngo pizza or cheeseburger over that Chicken Parm he had.

Nothing to worry about. A bus is a bus is a bus and bus spelled backwards is sub as in sub-standard.

You can see that the seat are narrower and the leg room is still poor. Then you got the bus bounce and sitting in traffic. Hell no I won't go on a bus ever.

Please disregard. The author says after 5 minutes Amtrak was zipping through Queens (on its way to Boston). My geography knowledge is not the greatest, but that just doesn't sound correct. Found my map! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure why he says Amtrak seating is similar to airline economy class. They are not even comparable. 2 abreast versus 3 abreast with much more legroom.
The author should try an A380 with 11 across seating. :D

635647707121969289-A380-Economy-Class-11-abreast4-15.jpg

Please disregard. The author says after 5 minutes Amtrak was zipping through Queens (on its way to Boston). My geography knowledge is not the greatest, but that just doesn't sound correct. Found my map! :wub:
It is correct. Nyp-bos trains pass through queens after leaving the east river tunnels and before crossing Hells Gate bridge.

Just passing along for discussion, folks. Don't shoot the messenger. That bus does look pretty sweet. http://www.businessinsider.com/best-way-to-travel-between-boston-and-new-york-2016-11
In the end, it is still a bus and some people just won't take a bus. Just like some people won't take a train. Just like some people won't take a plane.

Additionally, it doesn't provide a lot of service. A bigger threat would be the return of a variation Fung Wah bus...without the fires. ^_^

No bus, no way - the suspension makes my wife nauseous.

Aren't NEC fares NYP-BOS often available under $99? That whole article sounds like a thinly veiled ad for Limoliner. The author tries hard to sell Limoliner as better than Amtrak but I don't see anything that would make me sway to it. He can enjoy the world famous beautiful scenery along I-95, I will take the 125mph run on a smooth track.

Edit: I checked Amsnag for 10 days out and NERegional fares for $49 are available too. Pfft, not spending twice of that for a bus. Amtrak need not be scared.

Yup. Geography knowledge not the greatest is an accurate statement :p

I am confident that Amtrak marketing has no concern's whatsoever with LimoLiner.

They serve a very tiny niche of people that would pay relatively high fares for a bus ride ... they have been in business for what, a decade or so? And I believe they are barely making it... they don't seem to have grown at all since they began operations.

As mentioned, Amtrak is more concerned with the cut-rate bus competitors.

When I tried to read the posted article, a nasty message popped up telling me to turn off my AdBlocker! I have that installed on all my browsers for a reason and "blacklist" sites that try to force me to turn it off.

The Yelp reviews are not that consistent for Limoliner. It seems they are very bad or very good, depending on the particular trip. They have some old equipment that is not always represented in the pictures.

The Yelp reviews are not that consistent for Limoliner. It seems they are very bad or very good, depending on the particular trip. They have some old equipment that is not always represented in the pictures.
Let's be honest here. The same is true for Amtrak. A photo might show Acela (which is aging itself), but Amtrak still uses some pretty old equipment.

I just went and checked Limoliner's website. I am surprised that Amtrak doesn't take some legal action against Limoliner for claims which aren't really true.

For example, Limoliner claims that trains that go between Boston and NYC suffer from "Cramped seating with little leg room" (others mentioned this here too). While Limoliner doesn't mention Amtrak by name, what other trains are there that go between Boston and NYC?

Another is train travel suffers from "Frequent delays and cancellations due to foul weather and mechanical malfunctions". So, Limoliner is claiming they run their bus route, on time, even in the foulest of weather? IMHO, in foul weather, Amtrak would be the better, safer, choice.

When the service first started, They parked one of their new buses near Penn Station (I think it was on 33rd) and let people on to see the bus and pitch the service. Met a Scottish man that started the service (it has been sold since then) It was a very nicely equipped bus, but I don't know what the equipment is like today. Too many chances for delays on the roads between NY and Boston for consistent timekeeping, and I like to get up and walk around, so it isn't for me, but it was definitely a cut above the Bolt/Megabus type service, and way better than the Chinatown style buses.

anyone considering a bus for transportation is a fool for believing it can compete with trains.

First: any bus making same stops will be slower than ***.

Second: even a express bus would loose a fair race (by rules) See fourth.

Third : the comfort on bus is far less than on train with very little room to move.

Fourth : every bus I see speeds, with questionable drivers pushing every rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back