Amtrak : Best Kept Secrets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ But the law say you have to have a handicapped spot if you install a parking lot, so even though it makes absolutely no sense, they have a handicapped spot and wasted money to install it.
Aloha

Just as big a shocker, the flight registration office had only stairs to the office. the ADA required an elevator be installed. Note if an Individual is disabled they cannot have a pilot license, but the office must have access, a supper waste.

Just as big a shocker, the flight registration office had only stairs to the office. the ADA required an elevator be installed. Note if an Individual is disabled they cannot have a pilot license, but the office must have access, a supper waste.
I don't mean to be contrary here, but disabled people can become pilots. Just like cars, conventional aircraft can be modified to be flown without the use of the feet. There are some aircraft flying today like the Ercoupe that by design, do not have rudder petals and therefore do not require use of the legs to operate.

As to the elevator in the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), I would be very surprised if the building is owned by the FAA and is purpose built to be the FSDO. What is more likely is that the FAA is renting the building, and who is to say the next tenant is not going to need the elevator.

Finally, the federal government is the largest employer of the disabled. An employee's productivity level will plummet if they cant get in the office.

Rick

I've been reading messages on this board the past week or so getting ideas for what a passenger would need to know about taking the train. Can anyone offer other ideas for what a "new" rider would like or need to know? (I'm not totally new to Amtrak; I've taken it before, but it was in the 80's).

I'm planning on a Syracuse-Baltimore (changing trains in New York City) round trip in March, but haven't purchased a ticket yet. I have, however, looked at the Amtrak schedule and have a rough idea of what the schedule is.

Any suggestions that haven't been mentioned in this thread already are welcome.

A couple of questions that might get things started (my apologies if these are have been answered in this thread or elsewhere on this site).

1. Is buying a business class ticket worth the extra expense? I'll probably have a laptop computer with me, for whatever that's worth.

2. I know there all kinds of variables associated with this next question, but in general how concerned should I be about missing my Baltimore connection in New York, either because the train I board in Syracuse arrives late or because I get lost trying to find my way around the station in New York City? I think there's a 90 minute difference between the time I'd be scheduled to arrive in New York and the time the second train leaves for Baltimore. There might, however, be another train going from NYC to Baltimore later that day (I'd have to double-check that).

Undoubtedly I'll come up with other questions at some point. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Business class is really a judgement call. I personally feel like with the extra legroom, electrical outlets at every seat, non-alcoholic beverages, etc. make it a worthwhile investment (not sure about the beverages on the Regional trains you'll be riding).

New York for transferring is, well, interesting. I somehow manage to always exit through the wrong stairwell, don't ask me how I manage to do it. I believe when you arrive you will want to walk towards the rear of your train to be put in to the Amtrak waiting area, Alan please correct me if I'm wrong. 90 minutes is more than ample time to change trains. Just keep your eyes on the departure board and your ears open and you'll have no trouble. This would also be a good opportunity to grab a bite to eat if you feel it's necessary. You can access a large number of eateries by heading towards the LIRR concourse. To get there walk towards the high numbered tracks and just to the right of the Amtrak ticket windows there will be a small hallway. Walk through this hallway and you'll be on the LIRR concourse with a plethora of quick dining options, always a good opportunity to pick up a slice of New York's finest.

Finally, here at On Track On Line they have a great set of tips for first time travelers like yourself that are very helpful. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Have a fabulous trip! B)

Thanks for the suggestions and the link.

Business class is really a judgement call. I personally feel like with the extra legroom, electrical outlets at every seat, non-alcoholic beverages, etc. make it a worthwhile investment (not sure about the beverages on the Regional trains you'll be riding).

New York for transferring is, well, interesting. I somehow manage to always exit through the wrong stairwell, don't ask me how I manage to do it. I believe when you arrive you will want to walk towards the rear of your train to be put in to the Amtrak waiting area, Alan please correct me if I'm wrong. 90 minutes is more than ample time to change trains. Just keep your eyes on the departure board and your ears open and you'll have no trouble. This would also be a good opportunity to grab a bite to eat if you feel it's necessary. You can access a large number of eateries by heading towards the LIRR concourse. To get there walk towards the high numbered tracks and just to the right of the Amtrak ticket windows there will be a small hallway. Walk through this hallway and you'll be on the LIRR concourse with a plethora of quick dining options, always a good opportunity to pick up a slice of New York's finest.

Finally, here at On Track On Line they have a great set of tips for first time travelers like yourself that are very helpful. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! Have a fabulous trip! B)

I was told that superliner coach seats swival, as a pair, 180 degrees. That the pivot point is between the window and isle seats. For whatever reason a coach might be added to the train with the seats faceing backwards. They must then press a lever and rotate each seat pair to face forward. That is why the stairwell might be on the right side in one coach and on the left in the coach ahead. I don't remember how it goes, but that is why the Electric AC plug might be blocked by the vertical seat portion of the seat ahead of you and if rotated that AC plug would be next to that seats passengers left knee(out in the open). Seat 19 may have the plug or seat 15 may have it. Confused? I am. Jim55

I was told that superliner coach seats swival, as a pair, 180 degrees. That the pivot point is between the window and isle seats. For whatever reason a coach might be added to the train with the seats faceing backwards. They must then press a lever and rotate each seat pair to face forward. That is why the stairwell might be on the right side in one coach and on the left in the coach ahead. I don't remember how it goes, but that is why the Electric AC plug might be blocked by the vertical seat portion of the seat ahead of you and if rotated that AC plug would be next to that seats passengers left knee(out in the open). Seat 19 may have the plug or seat 15 may have it. Confused? I am. Jim55
Swiveling the seats are how they 'turn' the cars (rather than physically turning the car around) to change the cars orientation from one direction to the other. Only locomotives (on a turntable) are actually turned for a particular run. Coaches have their seats swiveled, while sleepers, lounges, diners, etc. aren't really dependent on front-rear orientation.

And yes, not all the AC outlets are in the 'center' of the seating aisle. So when the rows are 'turned', the orientation of the backrests changes as well.

Swiveling the seats are how they 'turn' the cars (rather than physically turning the car around) to change the cars orientation from one direction to the other. Only locomotives (on a turntable) are actually turned for a particular run. Coaches have their seats swiveled, while sleepers, lounges, diners, etc. aren't really dependent on front-rear orientation.

And yes, not all the AC outlets are in the 'center' of the seating aisle. So when the rows are 'turned', the orientation of the backrests changes as well.
Sorry....I replied to the previous comment and failed to notice that I was not logged in...thus replied as a 'guest'.

Actually it depends on just where the train is terminated as to what method of "turning" the train is used. For example the Auto Train is turned using the seat method. But many other trains are turned by wying the train, rather than using the more man power intensive method of turning the seats. For example the Capitol Limited is almost always turned via the wye as it arrives into Chicago. This way it's already setup to run out as the SW Chief later that afternoon. All the station crews have to do now is clean, water, and reprovision the train.

And all long distance trains arriving into NY are turned using the loop track at Sunnyside yard.

When switching from a first class on one train to coach on another you can still use the first class lounge. There is only one problem and I had it happen to me in Portland. They assign the coach seats in the main waiting room. The first class lounge allows all passengers to go to the platform ahead of everyone else. When I arrived on the platform they were not ready to board coach and I did not have a seat assignment.

If you are switching to coach be sure to leave the first class lounge and join the coach passengers in the main waiting room to get a seat assignment.

A partially inflated beach ball under your pillows makes a great roomette bed support for sitting up and looking out the window or watching a DVD

If you really want to save money on food, and you are on the second day of a long coach trip and those sandwiches from home are getting stale you can eat for under $10 for the whole day from the snack car.

Breakfast Bagel and coffee $4

Lunch: Cup of noodles $1.75

Dinner:pizza $3.50

Of course bring your own soft drinks on board. You can always get a cup of ice, and bring along snacks that will last the entire trip. I ve done this many times and as long as you have snacks you bought before you left,,this should be sufficient.

What is the official rule about bringing your own alcohol in coach? And are you permitted to bring your beer back to your seat from the lounge car? I began bringing my own couple of bottles of Sam Adams along or buying them in the CHI or NYP station to take along for on the train. I would never take them with me to the lounge car... But I would consume one or two at my seat before going to sleep.

I know you are permitted to bring your own alcohol into the sleepers. But I am pretty sure you are not supposed to do so in coach. If you really want to save $$ ($5.00 per Sam Adams in the lounge) and sleep well though...

My list of tips for sleeper car riding:

• 1. Bring a lot of one dollar bills on an overnight trip.
    2. Bring a laptop with wireless. (Don't forget portable headphones or earbuds!) As the train approaches towns, especially train stations, a good wireless system may pick up a connection and you can check your e-mail. I was able to do this with my wireless MAC Power Book (only once, on the Capitol Limited, from Washington to Chicago), but my Sony Vaio was never quick enough. Go figure.
    2a. More on laptop: Before you leave, go to www.guba.com and download stuff in IPod format on your laptop. Store these files on your laptop to view with Quicktime. You can get older British Comedies and Mysteries, among other things. These are much handier for viewing than toting around a lot of DVDs, though I think taking a couple DVDs with you is also a good idea. You will need a lot of room on your laptop for 30-60 minute programs. Any way that you can convert DVD shows to avi files and store them is handy, but that's too geeky of a discussion for this venue.
    4. Pack a cloth tote bag in your suitcase. Load it with your toiletry items and a change of clothes and keep it on top inside your suitcase. When it is shower time, just go down to the luggage hold area in the sleeper car, and extract the tote bag. Hang it up on the back of the door in the shower room and you are ready for the adventure of trying to get a shower in a moving train.
    5. There actually are people who sneak aboard at stops and steal from the sleeper carriages. I'm sure it's not frequent, but it happened on one of my first trips. Buy a money belt or travel pouch and keep your cash and credit cards with you, under your clothes, as close to your skin as possible. I also carry a small strapped "purse" (actually a nike runners pouch) that straps on like a fanny pack except the pouch is forward. I wear this on the outside or carry it like a purse. Every morning I put 10-20 dollars into that and use that for tipping, buying beverages, etc. But the majority of my money is out of sight, on my person.
    6. Bring a single film of Pepto Bismal tablets or other stomach soother and a tiny container of Advil or other painkiller. If you get sick on the train, you do want to have some relief until you can get to your destination.
    7. Dress in layers, and I mean layers: undershirt, top shirt, and over shirt. On a two-day trip, I just pull off the over and under shirts and sleep in my clothes. I get a shower the next day and change, but why bring pajamas? For longer trips I bring cotton running slacks and a heavy cotton tee for night clothes.
    8. Bring an IPod or music player. I have a Columbia Sportswear jacket, and it has a lot of hidden pockets. I keep my IPod in one of those and keep the jacket hung up in the tiny closet in the sleeper, with the inside pocket that has the IPod in it furthest from the closet door.
    9. Tip the waiters after each meal and the sleeping car attendant at the end of the journey, and always greet them with a smile and kindness. Everybody appreciates pleasant company when you're all cooped up together. Say Please and Thank You.
    10. If you have an unlucky trip that results in you having to board a bus to make your connection, don't blame the "little people" on the train. It's not their fault. Travel is like life; it's uncertain. I hate the busses, but they are a risk of Amtrak travel.
    11. Keep your cell phone with you. They are a hot commodity for theft and can be quickly resold.
    12. Keep your laptop either in the closet or under the chair of your sleeper. Keep the door closed and curtain drawn both when you're in and out of the room. It may seem unfriendly (but not if you say please and thank you to verybody!), but it's the surest way of keeping your presence an unknown. You can alternate the open and closed states when you're in the room, but I just keep the door closed and curtain drawn all the time.
    13. I buy those little mini-bottles of Kalhua, brandy, and Bailey's Irish Creme. They are great when added to the coffee on board the train.
    14. I collect those mini-containers of shampoo and creme rinse when I stay in hotels. I use these on the train when I am in a sleeper car. They are so portable and such a small luxury! You can get two or three shampoos from one small bottle.
For non-sleeper travel:

For any trip over two hours, Business is always better than coach. It's worth the extra $ in terms of more room, a better chance to relocate once you are on board (like if you want to go from an aisle seat to window seat or vice versa), a quieter journey (usually), better communication with the attendants, and free non-alcoholic beverages. Laptop/Ipod with ear buds a must! But in a pinch, a good John Grisham novel works well.

2. Bring a laptop with wireless. (Don't forget portable headphones or earbuds!) As the train approaches towns, especially train stations, a good wireless system may pick up a connection and you can check your e-mail. I was able to do this with my wireless MAC Power Book (only once, on the Capitol Limited, from Washington to Chicago), but my Sony Vaio was never quick enough. Go figure.
    2a. More on laptop: Before you leave, go to www.guba.com and download stuff in IPod format on your laptop. Store these files on your laptop to view with Quicktime. You can get older British Comedies and Mysteries, among other things. These are much handier for viewing than toting around a lot of DVDs, though I think taking a couple DVDs with you is also a good idea. You will need a lot of room on your laptop for 30-60 minute programs. Any way that you can convert DVD shows to avi files and store them is handy, but that's too geeky of a discussion for this venue.
    4. Pack a cloth tote bag in your suitcase. Load it with your toiletry items and a change of clothes and keep it on top inside your suitcase. When it is shower time, just go down to the luggage hold area in the sleeper car, and extract the tote bag. Hang it up on the back of the door in the shower room and you are ready for the adventure of trying to get a shower in a moving train.
    5. There actually are people who sneak aboard at stops and steal from the sleeper carriages. I'm sure it's not frequent, but it happened on one of my first trips. Buy a money belt or travel pouch and keep your cash and credit cards with you, under your clothes, as close to your skin as possible. I also carry a small strapped "purse" (actually a nike runners pouch) that straps on like a fanny pack except the pouch is forward. I wear this on the outside or carry it like a purse. Every morning I put 10-20 dollars into that and use that for tipping, buying beverages, etc. But the majority of my money is out of sight, on my person.
    6. Bring a single film of Pepto Bismal tablets or other stomach soother and a tiny container of Advil or other painkiller. If you get sick on the train, you do want to have some relief until you can get to your destination.
    7. Dress in layers, and I mean layers: undershirt, top shirt, and over shirt. On a two-day trip, I just pull off the over and under shirts and sleep in my clothes. I get a shower the next day and change, but why bring pajamas? For longer trips I bring cotton running slacks and a heavy cotton tee for night clothes.
    8. Bring an IPod or music player. I have a Columbia Sportswear jacket, and it has a lot of hidden pockets. I keep my IPod in one of those and keep the jacket hung up in the tiny closet in the sleeper, with the inside pocket that has the IPod in it furthest from the closet door.
    9. Tip the waiters after each meal and the sleeping car attendant at the end of the journey, and always greet them with a smile and kindness. Everybody appreciates pleasant company when you're all cooped up together. Say Please and Thank You.
    10. If you have an unlucky trip that results in you having to board a bus to make your connection, don't blame the "little people" on the train. It's not their fault. Travel is like life; it's uncertain. I hate the busses, but they are a risk of Amtrak travel.
    11. Keep your cell phone with you. They are a hot commodity for theft and can be quickly resold.
    12. Keep your laptop either in the closet or under the chair of your sleeper. Keep the door closed and curtain drawn both when you're in and out of the room. It may seem unfriendly (but not if you say please and thank you to verybody!), but it's the surest way of keeping your presence an unknown. You can alternate the open and closed states when you're in the room, but I just keep the door closed and curtain drawn all the time.
    13. I buy those little mini-bottles of Kalhua, brandy, and Bailey's Irish Creme. They are great when added to the coffee on board the train.
    14. I collect those mini-containers of shampoo and creme rinse when I stay in hotels. I use these on the train when I am in a sleeper car. They are so portable and such a small luxury! You can get two or three shampoos from one small bottle.
For non-sleeper travel:

For any trip over two hours, Business is always better than coach. It's worth the extra $ in terms of more room, a better chance to relocate once you are on board (like if you want to go from an aisle seat to window seat or vice versa), a quieter journey (usually), better communication with the attendants, and free non-alcoholic beverages. Laptop/Ipod with ear buds a must! But in a pinch, a good John Grisham novel works well.
I was intrigued by your #5 comment - regarding people sneeking onto the train and stealing from the sleeper compartments. I have actually never heard of this and would find it a bit hard to beleive, since so many stops are just 2-3 minutes in duration and at the major stations there is generally some sort of security to stop non-ticket holders from mingling on the platform. Also, if it is a quick stop, there is only one coach and one sleeper door opened and the attendants are there checking tickets. Do you recall what train was involved in this theft and what station? Just curious.

I was intrigued by your #5 comment - regarding people sneeking onto the train and stealing from the sleeper compartments. I have actually never heard of this and would find it a bit hard to beleive, since so many stops are just 2-3 minutes in duration and at the major stations there is generally some sort of security to stop non-ticket holders from mingling on the platform. Also, if it is a quick stop, there is only one coach and one sleeper door opened and the attendants are there checking tickets. Do you recall what train was involved in this theft and what station? Just curious.
It was aboard the Capitol Limited, around Thanksgiving time, in either 2004 or 2005. I have no idea what stations would have been involved. I know it was around one of the mealtimes because I asked the girl if she needed help as I was on my way to the dining car. She said the conductor was coming to help her. I walked up the hallway on the deluxe side (Rooms A, B, C, D, etc) of the car and came around the corner where the coffee urn is kept, with the water and juice, and ran into the conductor and told him that she was waiting for him. He was really surprised, and he asked me to come with him. I did, and she was gone. He told me that people do this, get on board the train at station stops to steal, and he was going to go find her. That's all I know.

Jeriwho - thanks for this list! I'll be taking my first train trip in August and need all the help I can get. Board members have been helping a lot. I'd already started a list for myself, but your list helped me add a few more things. Thanks so much!

For non-sleeper travel:

It has happened, but it is rare - though these days, for those who find themselves in the "40 car" (transition sleeper/crew dorm which is 1/2 sold to the public), since it is right next to the coaches in the reverse consist format, people do wander in, either intentionally or accidentally. To prevent mishaps, please note that this car's doors come pre-equipped for padlocks. If you bring a very small padlock with you, as crew members do, this is almost always enough to deter anyone from entering your room uninvited.

To prevent mishaps, please note that this car's doors come pre-equipped for padlocks. If you bring a very small padlock with you, as crew members do, this is almost always enough to deter anyone from entering your room uninvited.
I would strongly recommend that this is one of those "don't try this at home" suggestions. I can't imagine that Amtrak would allow passengers to lock their own rooms. In fact I strongly suspect that most of those hasps for locking the doors are not Amtrak approved and were put there by crew members.

But the attendant would not be happy to find a room that he/she needs to work locked and preventing them from doing their duties.

And safety, too, in case of accidents or medical emergency.
I was thinking the lock was for when you werent in your room, IO am wondering what kind of medical emergency you maybe thinking of

And safety, too, in case of accidents or medical emergency.
I was thinking the lock was for when you werent in your room, IO am wondering what kind of medical emergency you maybe thinking of
Yes, it would be rather hard to pad lock your door on the outside, if one is inside the room. Even harder to unlock it from the inside. :lol:

Here's a hint similar to one posted on page one:

When you book a trip that has some back tracking involved, check the schedules. You may have options. For instance, Taking the Carolinian NB to catch the Palmetto SB typically is booked through Wilson, NC. Since your ultimate departure and arrival times won't change, would you like to spend more time in Selma (and save $3) or spend more time sightseeing on the train and change at Rocky Mount? The layover at Selma is 3:11, Wilson is 2:15 and Rocky Mount is 1:37. You can get up to an 1:34 on the train rather than on a platform. If your train is running late, get off at Selma or call Julie and see how late the SB Palmetto is.

That's just one example of backtracking. Play with MULTI-TRIP and see what your differences are.

Back