Jackson, MS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenneth

Service Attendant
I am doing a points run to Jackson. Arriving on southbound CONO, leaving that evening. Any thoughts on things to see near the station. Does anyone know if the station is a comfortable place to wait?

It's a nice station. The biggest attraction in the station district is the King Edward hotel. The last time I was in Jackson the downtown appeared to be slowly building up. I can't tell you if it has finally emerged as a vibrant area, but I know that's the goal.

It's a nice station. The biggest attraction in the station district is the King Edward hotel. The last time I was in Jackson the downtown appeared to be slowly building up. I can't tell you if it has finally emerged as a vibrant area, but I know that's the goal.

Looking at the blocks of downtown not far from King Edward Hotel(now a Hilton Garden Inn, btw) on google street view, it looks like Jackson's downtown is starting to turn around to some extent. Also, I see others were right per looking at street view that both the Belhaven and Fondren neighborhoods(both to the north of downtown) are nice, as well.

I do wonder if anyone here has actually visited Jackson, and can say anything about this city per their experiences? Years ago I passed through there, but didn't stop.

My daughter and I recently took a trip on the CONO to Jackson, arriving in the morning and departing in the evening on a Saturday. The area around the station was pretty dead, maybe one homeless person but otherwise few people/cars.

We walked to the Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum which share a lobby. There are lockers, not sure if they'd be wide enough for a roll-on. We had two backpacks and were fine. There's a small cafe.

Highly recommend both of the museums. The Civil Rights Museum in particular pulls no punches.

My daughter and I recently took a trip on the CONO to Jackson, arriving in the morning and departing in the evening on a Saturday. The area around the station was pretty dead, maybe one homeless person but otherwise few people/cars.

We walked to the Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum which share a lobby. There are lockers, not sure if they'd be wide enough for a roll-on. We had two backpacks and were fine. There's a small cafe.

Highly recommend both of the museums. The Civil Rights Museum in particular pulls no punches.

Thanks for your response! That's good you mentioned the MS History Museum and the MS Civil Rights Museum, since I hadn't yet begun to research museums and also other things to do in Jackson, yet. I guess I also could go on a tour of the Mississippi state capitol building, if I can find when those are offered? Or just walk through that building, on my own.

Besides of course, perhaps checking out a few Jackson neighborhoods(i.e. Fondren, Belhaven, etc).

Back