Double TQP Aug 1 to Sept 23

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And in the mean time can anybody answer this? Or am I getting another administrative brush off since I'm not part of the click.
Your did not get an "administrative brush off." Your post got moved to the existing topic on the subject. That is SOP here, and almost anywhere else. There is no reason to start a new topic when the subject is already being discussed in a topic that is still active and visible.
As for your question, don't the T&C's that accompanied the offer spell out how it works? I would presume that "double" means twice normal, or 2 X 2 which equals 4. Now, whether those extra TQP's are also redeemable points, I have no idea. Did not get the offer, so have no clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine only says double TQP. It has no implications that one would get double regular points. So I interpret it as whatever TQP you'd have gotten normally would simply be given to you twice (to double TQP). That is it.

So specifically, if you spend $500 on a Sleeper or Coach ticket you will get 1,000 regular points and 2,000 TQP. Remember TQPs are not redeemable for travel or anything else other than qualifying for Tier.

So I spend 500 dollars and earn 1000 tqp points normally at 2 points per dollar. Then I earn another 1000 tqp for the promotion?

Thus for a 500 dollar trip I earn 2000 tqp and 1000 points towards travel redemption?

So I spend 500 dollars and earn 1000 tqp points normally at 2 points per dollar. Then I earn another 1000 tqp for the promotion?

Thus for a 500 dollar trip I earn 2000 tqp and 1000 points towards travel redemption?
Yes.
If you happen to buy a ticket for BC or FC you will of course collect the class of travel bonus points, which I believe are also TQP? It is not clear to me whether the bonus TQP doubles or not. I have not seen anything spelled out clearly, but the current wording would suggest that they are.

"And in the mean time can anybody answer this? Or am I getting another administrative brush off since I'm not part of the click."

That comment actually made skimming usual back and forth off topic conversations worth it.

I got offered this promotion - have already taken advantage of it and booked a trip to hopefully maximize return.

No 100 point minimum hasn't killed my earnings to bad - as long as I ride Business Class. Does hurt for average of 15 to 40 TQP depending on money spent and length of regional trip.

My SELECT+ was downgraded to SELECT for this year - previous years TQPs 5,630 not grandfathered in for SELECT+.

With promotion as long as I travel my current plan - should make SELECT again. Plus is pretty much a hope dream unless I spend 1/2 a month riding Amtrak - doing nothing else.

As for off topic rewards redemptions - I have seen where some are better value for points than in past.

Real world earnings example that may help answer some questions.

08/04/2016 GET ON THE FAST TRACK TO TIER STATUS FOR 2017 Earn double TQPs on travel August 1 – September 23, 2016 Other Earning TQP 68

08/04/2016 Business Class Type Bonus Other Earning 17 TQP 17

08/04/2016 Springfield, IL (SPI) - St. Louis, MO (STL) Business Class Travel Earning 68 TQP 68

The promo has basically put me in range of SE again (or at least reduced the amount of CC churn needed to get there); had it not been for cancellation fees, I'd probably have converted at least one leg of my trip to Atlanta for DragonCon to a paid reservation, but I got to apply this to a pair of round-trips to WAS among other travel...I think I knocked out about an extra 1200-1500 TQPs with it, but I'm not quite sure of the exact total at the moment.

TBH I preferred this one to Double Days. Status earning (even aside from the coupons) really is more useful to me.

Back