Who in the world are you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Bob, do it! Be sure to visit Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, my favorite place on the planet! And for a great piece of pie, Grand Traverse Pie Co. Or for the best ice cream in the world, Moomers Ice Cream, overlooking the dairy cows who provide the milk! I could go on and on...

Hi all...

I've been a member here for a few years. I don't travel by train often but when I do I like to check in for information. It's a great resource.

I'm 69, married, mother, grandmother, and recently retired after working as a design engineer at a small manufacturing company for 27 years. Retirement was not my choice, but when you work for a family owned company you realize that at any time you can be replaced by a family member! That's what happened to me, suddenly and unexpectedly. So I am trying to keep busy and figure out what to do with the rest of my life.

I enjoy writing, taking pictures, music including opera, jazz and folk. I used to play flute and maybe I'll take it up again now that I have a little extra time on my hands!

I live in a beautiful rural area of northern Michigan not far from Lake Michigan. No rail service up here so have to drive a ways to catch the train. I prefer train travel to flying. I started out in coach taking the Empire Builder to Seattle to visit my daughter. On one of my trips I decided to splurge and get a roomette and I've been hooked ever since. Lately my train has been the Southwest Chief--my daughter moved to LA. I've also taken the Texas Eagle when my son lived in Texas, and I've found that Amtrak is a great way to get into The Big Apple!

I notice that some of you mentioned C-130s -- my husband was in the Coast Guard many years ago and flew in them as part of the International Ice Patrol in Newfoundland. We have great 8mm movies of Coasties hanging out of the back end dropping dye on icebergs. I think they have more sophisticated methods of tracking them these days! Anyway he just loves those C-130s! He's also a model railroader and rail fan. He and a couple of friends enjoy trips to Fostoria and Berea, OH, and Porter, IN, easily done in a weekend from northern Michigan. Not much freight traffic up here!

Thanks for keeping this forum active. I appreciate all the helpful information you all provide.
Planning a trip fall 2017 to Paradise, MI to see the Great Lakes shipwreck museum, then trudging up to Ontario and staying in sault ste marie and maybe take the Agawa tour canyon train trip. Although mixed reviews on that trip on tripadvisor. Since I leave in central WI, only about a 7 hour car ride up.

I've taken the Algoma Central to Agawa Canyon several times since the 1970s. The last time was about 4 or 5 years ago. I have always enjoyed it. Of course it is always nicer when the weather is good. I'm not sure what the critics might find objectionable. I hope you like it.

Since you will be in Paradise, if you have time you might want to visit Tahquamenon Falls which is nearby. And of course the Soo Locks are always interesting.

My husband and I have vacationed in the U. P. many times and really love that area. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I've taken the Algoma Central to Agawa Canyon several times since the 1970s. The last time was about 4 or 5 years ago. I have always enjoyed it. Of course it is always nicer when the weather is good. I'm not sure what the critics might find objectionable. I hope you like it.

Since you will be in Paradise, if you have time you might want to visit Tahquamenon Falls which is nearby. And of course the Soo Locks are always interesting.

My husband and I have vacationed in the U. P. many times and really love that area. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I read about it on tripadvisor and they say coming back is boring as there is no commentary and all you see pretty much is a blur of trees. Right now the trip is $80/ per person, I don't know if that is Canadian dollars or American dollars, but if American dollars it would be cheaper yet. Some people have complained that they thought it is expensive, but considering it is an all day trip I think it is very reasonable. Especially compared to the boat ride or train ride in the Dells, $25 for 1 or 2 hours, now that's expensive.

We will be staying in Paradise for 3 nights, so yes we will do the falls.

Hello all... I have served in the United States Army for the past 23 years in change... I am currently transitioning to civilian life... when all is said and done, I will have served just over 24 years. Taking my family on a cross country trip on Amtrak before I start my new life after the military...

Palumbo, Salvatore. Haven't been on LD train since 1978 trip NOL-CHI.

Looking forward to SL HOS-LAX next Wednesday and then on to MTZ on the CS.

Don't know how to edit my member profile here to insert photos or age, sex etc.

I'm an architect an appreciate small spaces well used. Hoping for a great experience.

Thanks to all the rail fans out there.

Welcome to AU and hope you enjoy the good old Sunset Ltd. and the Great Coast Starlight!

If you're in Roomettes you truly will see a small space well used!

Please share your trip by writing a trip report on AU. Bon Voyage!

Hello all,

I'm NSC1109. My username doesn't really mean anything in particular...just a bunch of letters and numbers from my name and birthday!

I'm a senior in high school as of 2016/17 and I'm going to college for Supply Chain Managment and Operations, but I hope to work for the railroad in the near future, as it would be a great use for my degree. I live in Kalamazoo, MI, home to one of the few 110 MPH Amtrak services outside of the Northeast (although I'm sure you all already knew that).

I try to get out and railfan as much as I can during the summer, but ever since NS left Kalamazoo in 2009 there hasn't been much around other than Amtrak and the much-heard less-seen Grand Elk. NS recently started running two trains to Kalamazoo again, but it's a far cry from what it was. Most times you'll find me on CN's South Bend Sub.

My current sort of "research project" is higher speed rail along the Wolverine/Blue Water corridors as well as the potential LSL reroute via Michigan. Both of which have captured my attention as I believe they can really change things around here.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

-NSC1109

Hello all,

I'm NSC1109. My username doesn't really mean anything in particular...just a bunch of letters and numbers from my name and birthday!

I'm a senior in high school as of 2016/17 and I'm going to college for Supply Chain Managment and Operations, but I hope to work for the railroad in the near future, as it would be a great use for my degree. I live in Kalamazoo, MI, home to one of the few 110 MPH Amtrak services outside of the Northeast (although I'm sure you all already knew that).

I try to get out and railfan as much as I can during the summer, but ever since NS left Kalamazoo in 2009 there hasn't been much around other than Amtrak and the much-heard less-seen Grand Elk. NS recently started running two trains to Kalamazoo again, but it's a far cry from what it was. Most times you'll find me on CN's South Bend Sub.

My current sort of "research project" is higher speed rail along the Wolverine/Blue Water corridors as well as the potential LSL reroute via Michigan. Both of which have captured my attention as I believe they can really change things around here.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

-NSC1109
Please contact me via PM. I live in toledo. 19 and I am doing similar research.

New to this forum. I just found it

Female over 50 and I found travel via train when I am on the east coast much easier and more comfortable than flying. I just wish I could travel by train all the time.

It's a much better way to travel for 1-6 hour trips.

I have a desire to do some vacation travel in the future. I'll see how it goes planning wise

New to this forum. I just found it

Female over 50 and I found travel via train when I am on the east coast much easier and more comfortable than flying. I just wish I could travel by train all the time.

It's a much better way to travel for 1-6 hour trips.

I have a desire to do some vacation travel in the future. I'll see how it goes planning wise
:hi: Welcome!

I just thought I should introduce myself and say hello. I am an AF vet and former civil engineer turned seminarian that has been interested in railroading (and infrastructure in general) since I was a child. It had probable been ten year since I last rode on ATMK, I have found memories in particular of the Capitol Limited and the Michigan Services.

Hopefully I will be able to accumulate some more miles soon. I am looking forward to participating here.

I just thought I should introduce myself and say hello. I am an AF vet and former civil engineer turned seminarian that has been interested in railroading (and infrastructure in general) since I was a child. It had probable been ten year since I last rode on ATMK, I have found memories in particular of the Capitol Limited and the Michigan Services.

Hopefully I will be able to accumulate some more miles soon. I am looking forward to participating here.
:hi: Welcome from another Delawarean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from Rich lise , Traveling from the UK in late November to December doing Amtrak West to East, Trying to tick our bucket list off,

Hope the USA is still open after the elections.

:mellow:

I am the housekeeping manager of a 40-room hotel.

I have delusions of discovering proof of infinite energy in the form of nuclear fusion. I believe that volcanoes on earth are analogous to and influenced by sunspots, and that catalyzed nuclear fusion occurs in volcanoes. Nuclear fusion can explain otherwise mysterious volcanism on Mars and moons of Jupiter and Saturn. I have unusual confirmation of my theory in the form of a letter from the person in the US government responsible for tritium. Oh, and I would propose to use this new energy source to power maglev trains. It's all about magnetic fields--from the interaction between the earth and the sun to the levitation of trains.

Meanwhile, I have a day job.

I'm no Scientist, but it's obvious that strange things are happening all over the world.

Perhaps a viewing of "An Inconvienent Truth" would help wake up the Geniuses who deny Climate Change is real?

I'm 72 years old, a retired software engineer. After graduating from college with a math degree, I spent 11 years in the Air Force. I flew U-10 Helio Couriers in Vietnam, flying in circles playing propaganda tapes over a 1000 watt PA system. Probably bored the VC to death. Then two years in California as a copilot on C-141 transports mostly flying back and forth to Vietnam. Finished up in Fort Worth flying B-52Ds. Got out in 1979, finished a master's degree in Computer Science and went to work in the defense industry. Worked at General Dynamics Fort Worth Division and LTV, both of which eventually were bought by Lockheed Martin. My last project was to create a common controller for a number of unmanned systems, including an unmanned aerial vehicle and an unmanned ground vehicle. Retired in 2010 at the age of 66.

I love airplanes but hate airlines. I take trips on Amtrak about four times a year. Since I live in Fort Worth, that means riding 21/22 a lot every time (except for one Oklahoma City trip). I've given in to my liking for comfort, and so travel by bedroom, since I can generally afford it. To date, all my rides have been for the purpose of going to various conventions, or returning from helping my older daughter move (twice). I'm thinking of doing a bucket list thing, riding all of Amtrak, but I haven't decided to do it by train name or by track route.

Welcome and thanks for your service!

It's always good to have a fellow Texan AU member!

As an Amtrak rider since 1971 and retiree, I've had the pleasure of riding every Amtrak LD Route except the Pioneer, and urge you to do your dream trip, you won't regret it!

I'm a 60 year old lady, still working full-time as a forensic technician for the Michigan State Police.

I have taken the train back and forth between East Lansing or Battle Creek Michigan and Chicago. I also rode the Capitol (?) to Cleveland OH in 2008. My first LD trip was from Michigan to Ft. Lauderdale back in 1976. Now I am thinking of traveling from Michigan to Portland OR via rail. Probably won't be this summer as I want to undergo a knee replacement, but the next summer, if things stay sufficiently the same.

I have been reading this forum with great interest. I really appreciate all the great information you all have imparted. I look forward to being a member.

I'm a 60 year old lady, still working full-time as a forensic technician for the Michigan State Police.

I have taken the train back and forth between East Lansing or Battle Creek Michigan and Chicago. I also rode the Capitol (?) to Cleveland OH in 2008. My first LD trip was from Michigan to Ft. Lauderdale back in 1976. Now I am thinking of traveling from Michigan to Portland OR via rail. Probably won't be this summer as I want to undergo a knee replacement, but the next summer, if things stay sufficiently the same.

I have been reading this forum with great interest. I really appreciate all the great information you all have imparted. I look forward to being a member.
Welcome from another "little old lady" (61). I've been traveling on LD trains since 2011 when one of my daughters moved to Utah. Since meeting the great people here on AU, I've been fortunate to meet some of each year at the annual gatherings which has given me excuses to take the trains and see parts of the country I've never seen.

Back