Roomette too small for 2 kids?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amy H

First time train traveler so pardon my ignorance. Im traveling alone with my 2 daughters from South Florida to NYC. Was thinking of getting a roomette and letting the 4 and 7 year olds share a bunk. Apparently I am not allowed to do that. The price difference is huge. Amtrak wants me to get a bedroom instead, and its about 800$ more. Is there any way to pay for an adult ticket for one of the kids and just bring them into the room with us? Thanks for any advice. Amy

Did you try the booking online? If so, try calling them instead. I'd think they'd allow two kids that young to travel in the same roomette with you.

The roomette beds are significantly narrower than a twin bed (28 inches wide). If I recall correctly, the foot of the bed in even narrower. Before trying this, I'd suggest putting the girls in a bed at home and restrict them to this width, to get an idea of what it would be like.

Did you try the booking online? If so, try calling them instead. I'd think they'd allow two kids that young to travel in the same roomette with you.
When I tired booking the 3 of us online it didnt even show a roomette or bedroom available. Just coach seats. I did call, and they said that a roomette would be too small. I would have to get a bedroom. I am just wondering if I book the roomette for me and one child, and the 2nd kid as an adult if I would be allowed to bring her into the bedroom with us, or even allowed to board if one child is assigned a seat and the other one is booked into the roomette with me. Thanks so much for any input.

When I tired booking the 3 of us online it didnt even show a roomette or bedroom available. Just coach seats. I did call, and they said that a roomette would be too small. I would have to get a bedroom. I am just wondering if I book the roomette for me and one child, and the 2nd kid as an adult if I would be allowed to bring her into the bedroom with us, or even allowed to board if one child is assigned a seat and the other one is booked into the roomette with me. Thanks so much for any input.
Just a coach seat will not allow her into your room, but a Open Sleeper seat MAY let her in though they may not allow that if they won't allow two kids anyway.

The roomette beds are significantly narrower than a twin bed (28 inches wide). If I recall correctly, the foot of the bed in even narrower.
The foot of the bed is narrower on the single level "Viewliner" Sleepers. The Superliners are the same width the entire length of the bed.

I have seen an adult and 2 kids booked into a Roomette. I would keep calling back until you get an agent that seems to know a few things about trains. (harder and harder to do these days).

You might be able to physically fit two kids into a single bunk on a roomette but even if you could it would be a tight fit IMO. If I were in your shoes I'd probably price out some plane tickets and if they were cheaper than a bedroom I'd fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another possibility is to call and inquire about getting 2 roomettes. Many times 2 roomettes cost less than 1 bedroom. This will also allow you to each have a berth (bed). If done, be sure to ask for both rooms to be across from each other. (Example - rooms 3 & 4, not 5 & 11.)

Another possibility is to call and inquire about getting 2 roomettes. Many times 2 roomettes cost less than 1 bedroom. This will also allow you to each have a berth (bed). If done, be sure to ask for both rooms to be across from each other. (Example - rooms 3 & 4, not 5 & 11.)
But will they sell a roomette that only has a child listed as the occupant?

I like the idea of getting 2 roomettes. If your traveling dates are flexible, check out AmSnag and see what kind of deal you can find for the two. http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

p.s. If you are not familiar with AmSnag, and I just realized you said this is your first train trip, and are probably not, someone here can help.

I like the idea of getting 2 roomettes. If your traveling dates are flexible, check out AmSnag and see what kind of deal you can find for the two. http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

p.s. If you are not familiar with AmSnag, and I just realized you said this is your first train trip, and are probably not, someone here can help.
Here's a working link...check it out at you can really fine tune your trip. Also, it is highly suggested you book as soon as possible. For lower fares, and also the fact you need two across from each other if you decide to go that way. Maybe you can just make one work...keep calling, get a supervisor and talk pretty.

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

Thanks Eric for doing that , I know that I messed up my post. Is there anyway to delete a post if a mistake is made?

A parent and two children are bookable in a roomette. Just have to call and ask for it:

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 8.55.33 PM.png

(Since it lists 4 children as permissible, it appears as a booking with only children in a room is permissible.

Amy: Follow the rules.

Although, I don't see Amtrak tossing kids off the train.

Amtrak: Stop tossing small children off the train.

Also, it says for a party size of one, one child is allowed. Actually, for each party size, it seems that the entire party can be children.

In Ryan's post (#17), the chart refers to a Business Travel Roomette. What on earth is that? Is it a huge editing error? Or is it a category that Amtrak has been keeping us all from knowing about? :unsure:

P.S.--Not an editing error on your part, Ryan, of course. I meant Amtrak's.

In Ryan's post (#17), the chart refers to a Business Travel Roomette. What on earth is that? Is it a huge editing error? Or is it a category that Amtrak has been keeping us all from knowing about? :unsure:
I noticed that too and intended to ask but never got around to it. That document capture left me with more questions than answers. How do you book children into their own room? How do you book four of anything into a Roomette?

P.S.--Not an editing error on your part, Ryan, of course. I meant Amtrak's.
Here is your answer:

BT (Business Travel): Accommodations for employees on company business or for employees traveling on personal business who made reservations on the train’s day of departure in the Superliner Transition Sleeping Car. Employees utilizing BT space are expected to make their own bed, remove soiled linen and leave the accommodation neat and clean. Meals are not provided and must be purchased. BT space can also be assigned to authorized Guides on a unique basis – in this case, the Guide is entitled to a complimentary meal.

I booked a roomette many years ago on a Superliner-equipped train with two of my children (then ages 6 and 8) in the same room with me with no problem. They slept in the upper bunk "feet to feet" while I slept in the lower bunk with no complaints on their part about the available space for each of them.

If an agent told the OP that the space would be too small he/she should ask to speak to a supervisor to ram that reservation through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back