Any good souvenirs to look out for at the stations or on the train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sodium

Train Attendant
I want to pick up a few Amtrak souvenirs for my NY > CA trip, Lake Shore Limited & California Zephyr. Anything to look out for while at the gift shops or buy on board?

I think Amtrak souvenirs are hard to come by "in person". The cafe car MAY have some things on board and the only Amtrak Gift shop that I'm aware of is the one that was recently opened in Chicago, but have heard that it's temporarily closed.

You can get souvenirs here: http://store.amtrak.com/ though the shipping (via Staples) can be expensive. I collected the tie tacks/pins for the trains I've ridden so far and bought them from here.

I bought baseball caps for the CZ and CL last month from the Amtrak online store.

An asst conductor for the CZ on the SLC-GJT leg used to sell polo shirts, pins, and jackets for the CZ in the SSL car, but no more. I bought 6 in 4 different colors back then. Now getting rather threadbare. Also have two of the CZ bottomless coffee cups -- no longer honored in the cafe car

There is a gift shop inside the GJC station that you can visit during the long stop. (They announce it during the trip.)
It's a great little shop. I was impressed with how much stuff they managed to pack in there. :) I had to resist the urge to grab about 8-10 different souvenirs.

I also thought it was smart of them to sell things like ice cream novelties and baggies of ice cubes.

The GJT shop also sells a 3-volume guide to the CZ route authored by Eva Hoffmann, a regular rider. Two photos of the Sacramento River swing bridge -- closed and open -- over which the CZ transits are published in volume 3 from the collection of yours truly

the only Amtrak Gift shop that I'm aware of is the one that was recently opened in Chicago, but have heard that it's temporarily closed.

Ugh......I'm headed down there tomorrow and shopping at the new store was on my agenda. Hopefully, it's back open. If not, there's always next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only Amtrak Gift shop that I'm aware of is the one that was recently opened in Chicago, but have heard that it's temporarily closed.
Ugh......I'm headed down there tomorrow and shopping at the new store was on my agenda. Hopefully, it's back open. If not, there's always next time.
I am currently at Chicago Union Station and saw a sign that said the Amtrak Store is closed until further notice. I'm guessing when it reopens it'll be where passenger services is currently.

Once you're in the Bay Area, Capitol Corridor has plush Cappy toys for sale in the cafe car. $10.

akf_0369a.jpg

The GJT shop also sells a 3-volume guide to the CZ route authored by Eva Hoffmann, a regular rider. Two photos of the Sacramento River swing bridge -- closed and open -- over which the CZ transits are published in volume 3 from the collection of yours truly
As I also write route guides... I got to meet Eva finally last year. We now carry her books on my website for all routes she has written.

www.outsidetherails.com

That way you can order them before you go at a better price than the GCT station.

I just was informed by the person who operates the Chicago Union Station facebook page that the Amtrak Store is currently being restocked and will reopen tomorrow (March 16)!

It will be located next to Passenger Services. I still assume it will expand if PS is moved. I'll be there on April 3 and will check it out!

PDX has a good selection of shirts, hats, books, videos etc inside the store in the station

Aren't the passenger blankets they sell onboard still stamped with the Amtrak logo also?
I wouldn't assume so. I can't tell if there is a logo on the blanket. This is the entire package that they sell online and I've been told it's identical to onboard.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1458085015.118352.jpg

The Autumn Excursion had a bunch of different souvenir's for sale the three years it has run. The first two years had unique pins for each trip, as well as a souvenir lunch/tote bag with the trip's route. Last year, they did not, perhaps because the route was chosen at the 'last minute', and they did not have time to make unique souvenirs for it, other than the route guide they handed out...not sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back