SWC on-time performance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Based upon the SWC on-time performance for March @ 38.7%) I'm guessing I'll miss my connection for the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego on May 20th.

Do I just board the next Pacific Surfliner south, and will my reserved 1st Class seat be available?

Untitled.png

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my question. My question isn't how many times a connection is missed.

I'm asking --> if I miss the connection, do I just get on the next Pacific Surfliner to San Diego, and is my reserved 1st class seat still valid?

Thanks

You're missing my point. A 38% on time percentage doesn't mean that you're going to miss your connection. Those 60% of late trains may all only arrive 45 minutes late and you would have made your connection 100% of the time, giving you nothing to worry about.

I'm trying to give you better information about how likely you are to make the connection than Amtrak's website is able to give you, but I can't do that if I don't know what train you're actually booked on.

Yes, if you miss your train, you will be accommodated on the next one. Your first class seat will depend on if there are seats available on that train.

While the Pacific Surfliner coach is unreserved, Business Class (there is no "1st Class" on anything except the Acela) is reserved for a specific train. You should be reticketed. Amtrak often does this automatically when their system shows that a connection will be missed.

I think the folks at the Metropolitan Lounge should be able to help you if your connection isn't made.

If there are no Business Class seats on the next train, you will likely be accomodated in coach and the fare difference refunded.

I am with Ryan, there are numerous Pacific Surfliners (9 a day now,I think) and which train you are ticketed on would help. Also, AmtrakDelays.com would give you a more accurate picture of the trains on time performance into LA than the simple percentage on Amtrak's website, as it will give the actual delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan, the connecting train is 768. Based on ASMAD, the SWC only missed that train 2-4 times in the last 30 days.

Thanks, Betty - I didn't want to make assumptions about what train he was booked on.

(also, ASMAD is a million times better than AmtrakDelays)
There was only one listed when searching Amtrak.com for trains from FLG to SAN (or whatever San Diego's code is). And I didn't see the connections page on ASMAD, but did see the list sorted by early to late and only the last 4 were either close to or after 768's scheduled departure time.

Pacific Surfliner trains are usually not very full and the business car tends to be easy to find a seat in. They'll accept your ticket if you've missed the previous one. In this case you might arrange to get off the SWC in Fullerton to wait for the Surfliner. It's the last stop on the SWC and you go about 25-30 miles north to LA. You'll be passing right back by it on your way to San Diego. Of course if you want to see Union Station then you'd have to go to LA.

But if he's got a booking on the Surfliner from LAX and doesn't board at LAX, won't his booking be cancelled when his ticket is not among those scanned?

[moderators: please feel free to delete this mundane post}

In this case you might arrange to get off the SWC in Fullerton to wait for the Surfliner. It's the last stop on the SWC and you go about 25-30 miles north to LA.
I'm tempted to do that.

That won't void my ticket if I don't get on the Pacific Surfliner in L.A.? Would I tell the TSA (?) that I'll be getting off in Fullerton?

If you really want to hop off in Fullerton, which is a good idea, just call and "Modify" your rez from FUL-SAN instead of LAX-SAN.

Technically, as has been said, BC on Surfliners is Reserved and Coaches aren't, but it shouldn't be a problem getting a seat in Coach except if its a weekend or the Racing Season is on @ Del Mar when Surfliners get crazy crowded!

But if he's got a booking on the Surfliner from LAX and doesn't board at LAX, won't his booking be cancelled when his ticket is not among those scanned?
While I understand why Amtrak would want to free up space for downstream travelers when a passenger misses their train, their current cancellation policy seems overly aggressive. Passengers should not have to worry that boarding at a later station, or failing to get their ticket lifted on a short ride, will cause their entire trip to be cancelled. Riding Amtrak is difficult enough as it is; why is the company trying so hard to make it worse?

In this case you might arrange to get off the SWC in Fullerton to wait for the Surfliner. It's the last stop on the SWC and you go about 25-30 miles north to LA.
I'm tempted to do that.That won't void my ticket if I don't get on the Pacific Surfliner in L.A.? Would I tell the TSA (?) that I'll be getting off in Fullerton?
You can call ahead of time and even from the train and make the change. Or go into the station at Fullerton and ask for assistance. I think this must happen fairly often and the train Amtrak has booked you on is the first one the system estimates you'll be able to catch and it's easy for them to adjust to.

I'm sure part of the conductor's job is to keep track of how many are aboard his/her train. Note the "are". Not "maybe should be", "maybe could be", "maybe would be" or "maybe will be".

you might arrange to get off the SWC in Fullerton to wait for the Surfliner. It's the last stop on the SWC and you go about 25-30 miles north to LA. You'll be passing right back by it on your way to San Diego. Of course if you want to see Union Station then you'd have to go to LA.
When I originally booked my reservation ABQ-SAN I wanted to go from Albuquerque to Fullerton to San Diego.

But the Amtrak agent on the phone checked, and said changing in Fullerton would be an "illegal connection" unless I stayed over night in Fullerton.

Thus (?) I booked ABQ-LAX-SAN.

And, as the person picking me up in San Diego doesn't like to get up too early (i.e. before 10 AM) I think I'll go on to Los Angeles and check out the lounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back