Airport Codes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One slight correction to the explanations of the code for PVD. TF Green is not located in Providence, but in Warwick (5-10 miles south). Much the same as the New England Patriots (who play in Foxboro) is not from Boston! Most teams and NFL officials fly into and stay in Providence (about 25-30 miles south) and not Boston (about 40-45 miles north).

Similarly TLV is not located in Tel Aviv. it is a $40 taxi ride (around 12 miles) away adjacent to the town of Yehud, Or Yehuda, Zafriya and Yagel, off of the Tel Aviv - Jerusalem highway (Route 1) and under development HSR. I was there in February.

This coming week I will be at the following airports:

MCO, IAD, EWR, BOM, CCU.

Being originally from the Pittsburgh, PA area I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see "PIT" for Pittsburgh,

although I more commonly see "Pgh" as an abbreviation for things Pittsburgh.

Similarly TLV is not located in Tel Aviv. it is a $40 taxi ride (around 12 miles) away adjacent to the town of Yehud, Or Yehuda, Zafriya and Yagel, off of the Tel Aviv - Jerusalem highway (Route 1) and under development HSR. I was there in February.

This coming week I will be at the following airports:

MCO, IAD, EWR, BOM, CCU.
Hey, I figured all those out. Knew the 1st 3 and guessed the last two (though I didn't their cities new names).

:( My airport (only one commercial carrier) is not on the list.

Just like Denver's Airport is not in Denver, it's in Kansas right? LOL
If Ben Gurion Airport were as far from Tel Aviv as Denver International is from Denver downtown, it would probably be in Palestinian West Bank territory! :)

Yet Denver International is actually still in Denver apparently!

Similarly, DTW is approximately 22 miles from Detroit. The airport is actually in Romulus.

Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport is AZO. It's not too hard to figure that one out.

Incidentally, Kolkata Airport (Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport) CCU is outside Kolkata in an area known as Dum Dum, famous for the Dum Dum bullet an early version of which was produced in the Dum Dum Arsenal, and was banned from use in war, soon thereafter.

First commercial service started through Dum Dum in 1924 by KLM on their Amsterdam - Batavia runs, soon to be followed by British Imperial Airways in 1933 on the London to Australia run, and Orient Airways on their Paris to Saigon run. Emilea Earhart passed through there in 1937. BOAC introduced one of its first all jet service using the ill fated de Haviland Comet I to Dum Dum. One of the mysterious crashes happened to one of those flights, that finally led to the grounding of Comet Is. Indian Airlines introduced the first domestic jet service from Dum Dum using Sud Aviation Caravelles. One of the last major crashes in Dum Dum was that of a Pan Am Boeing 707 on approach to Dum Dum.

During the Second World War what is now the International Airport, was commandeered and was used as an Air Force Base out of which the US Air Force 7th Bombardment Group flew bombing missions over Burma, the 10th Air Force had its Communication Center and supply missions to China were flown over the Hump.

Here is what the new terminal looks like today:

1280px-Kolkata_Airport_New_Terminal_06.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Like FAT, the code for the Sioux Gateway in Sioux City, IA, also makes sense: SUX :lol: Only I don't think that one is cruel! Interestingly, while Spokane International Airport (GEG) not surprisingly made the list, the photo shown for it is actually Felts Field (SFF), a smaller airport five miles northeast of Spokane. Felts Field has not seen regular commercial service since the close of WWII when GEG began service. Felts Field is used for airplane and helicopter sales and service, charter and air cargo service, flight training, and small private aircraft. It is also used as an aircraft maintenance facility.

Speaking of Denver, I once saw it when flying over at 30,000 feet. DEN has 5 runways (3 going one direction and 2 going at right angles to those) - but no runway crosses or touches another runway!
DFW has that beat. 7 total runways and none of them touch. Not sure why they need so many. Dubai Airport deals with only two runways and is one of the busiest in the world.

378px-DFW_Airport_Diagram.svg.png

Speaking of Denver, I once saw it when flying over at 30,000 feet. DEN has 5 runways (3 going one direction and 2 going at right angles to those) - but no runway crosses or touches another runway!
DFW has that beat. 7 total runways and none of them touch. Not sure why they need so many. Dubai Airport deals with only two runways and is one of the busiest in the world.
Actually no that's not as impressive as Denver. Denver can launch and land on all six runways with aircraft not having to cross another runway to get to or from the terminal.

Denver International is in Denver....when the city acquired the land, they annexed it and a corridor to reach it. IIRC, its total area is twice the size of Manhattan. So they can easily add more infrastructure in the future, if the need ever arises....

Actually no that's not as impressive as Denver. Denver can launch and land on all six runways with aircraft not having to cross another runway to get to or from the terminal.
I was only responding to a specific claim. DFW has 7 runways that don't touch. If they wanted to, they could add taxiways to DFW to avoid crossing runways to get to/from the terminals.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1426985605.988272.jpg

Here's Chicago's 8 runways, soon to be 9. They are working on a huge development plan to make all the runways parallel and two diagonals.

Dubai might be busy passenger wise, but it's still not as busy as the aircraft movements we see here at DFW, ORD, ATL, etc. Inners are usually for takeoff and outers are usually for landing.

Fresno, CA's code makes sense for Fresno Air Terminal (FAT) - but it's cruel.
Fresno lobbied hard a few years back to have the airport code changed, but the requisite regulatory agencies denied the request.
They wanted to become FYI for Fresno Yosemite International Airport and since then "FYI" has become a nickname for the airport.

Amtrak's station code for Fresno "FNO" is also somewhat unflattering, but similar to the "F- No" reaction some people have if you ask if they're getting off in Fresno.

ATL has only 5 but they're all parallel despite the fact that they're labeled 8L, 8R, 9L, 9R, and 10 (looking east). Well, 4 of them have a bearing of 92.9 degrees and the other has a bearing of 92.8, but only a surveyor would care.

Not sure what the worldwide record for all-parallel runways is.

LGA does an amazing job of handling many flights with only two relatively short runways that intersect each other, so basically one take off or landing at a time......

Newark also mostly uses only two runways. But they are long (11,000'). Then again, London Heathrow has only two runways too, as does Hong Kong Chak Lap Kok. In all of these they are parallel runways and, they all handle quite an enormous amount of traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lga generally uses 1 runway for takeoffs and the other for landing. It's a delicate dance tho and poor visibility will make them drop to just 1 and alternate takeoff and landing. Having been on a near miss in the rain makes ya look stuff up. :)

Newark has 2 parallel runways but they're too close together for ILS operations. Meaning that if the weather in NYC stinks 2 of the 3 airports suddenly drop to half capacity. Delays ripple across the country.

Gatwick airport near London is or was the busiest single runway airport in the world last time I looked. Would want to be an air traffic controller there. :)

Tokyo Narita (NRT) had only one runway until 2002 -- and the second runway wasn't extended to a length adequate for (some) heavy takeoffs until 2009. The airport was originally designed for five runways, but I doubt that even the third will ever be built now that HND handles a substantial number of international flights.

Back