Amtrak Mastercard on Chase site seemed to disappear.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually pay my AGR Chase credit card in person at the branch because I pass by on daily walk and when I was in there the other day the teller said 'You're eligible for a different card so would you like to apply?' I've never had them offer that to me before. I'm sad because my expiration date is this August and I'm wishing it was for three years out instead. I have truly enjoyed racking points up so easily. Fingers crossed that another AGR card emerges.
Just for the heck of it, report your card lost in July and see what they do. I bet they'll send you a replacement card with an expiration date when they intend to switch things really off and most likely move everyone over to something else, unless of course Amtrak is discontinuing the AGR affinity credit card program completely.
My card was compromised last Friday. On Monday I had a new Chase Amtrak card. Same expiration date (2017).

While I am glad Chase is fast and efficient in solving issues, my loyalty is to Amtrak points, not Chase cards so if they separate, Chase gets a letter to close the account and I'll jump to the new Amtrak partner if there is one.

They're right jis, my AGR MC was compromised twice this year and I received a replacement card within a couple of days with new numbers but the same expiration date, 6/15! ( I also have a Chase Freedom Card and a VISA from my Credit Union))

I'm hoping AGR can work out a new deal with Chase since I have no complaints about their service, but my priority is the AGR points too since I don't need any more Credit Cards, especially ones with annual fees or reduced benefits!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I am pretty agnostic about who AGR chooses to provide the AGR affinity card. I am sure they will make arrangements to move over existing cardholders if they truly care about them as Amtrak customers. In the past when I have gone through such changes I just got a new card from the new provider without me having to do anything special. I would expect the same from AGR. As I said earlier, mine runs through to 2018. I d not expect to be using that card for all that time. I expect a change, whatever it is, to happen way before that.

Similarly my United card will likely change from MC to Visa, and I have one expiring in 5 months. So we'll see.

And then there is the Chip and Sign or Chip and PIN card thing coming up too.

Mine is only good through the back end of 2016. I just called Chase to get a replacement card sent out, though (thanks to the use I've put on it, I've beaten the card up pretty badly in the last 17 months).

Posted on March 10

http://theforwardcabin.boardingarea.com/2015/03/10/the-amtrak-credit-card-is-not-dead-hurry-and-apply-before-it-is/

The Amtrak Credit Card is NOT Dead. Hurry and apply before it is…
March 10, 2015 by James Larounis 2 Comments
It was reported this morning by Frequent Miler that the Amtrak Guest Rewards credit card has been discontinued and is no longer accepting new applications.

It looks like that may not be the case…for now…

First off, according to a Twitter conversation I had with Chase, it appears they are in-fact not accepting new applications for the card:

"I’ve confirmed we are not accepting new applications at this time for the Amtrak Rewards card. Unfortunately, I don’t have more details."

My card expires this May. Typically, a card with a new expiration would come out mid to late April for a May expiration. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Mine is only good through the back end of 2016. I just called Chase to get a replacement card sent out, though (thanks to the use I've put on it, I've beaten the card up pretty badly in the last 17 months).
My experience says you will get a card with the exact same expiration.
I've received 2 new AGR MCs from Chase this year due to hacks and both had the same expiration date ( but different #s) as the original, 6/15.

My wife received a renewed AGR credit card in the mail yesterday with an expiry date in mid-2018.

Mine, too, expires in mid-2018.

If they're getting ready to phase out the program, they're choosing an awfully subtle way of doing it.

I wonder why the AGR Site is still promoting the card?
Promoting with a divergent link. So they know you can't apply for one, but they won't say you can't get it.

Crazy, them folks.
Those AGR card promos only appear for members who already hold the card. Log out or log in as a member who does not have a linked AGR card (such as my wife), and there is no mention of the card on the site.

More rumor, but from a recent source:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/04/04/as-the-credit-card-issuers-churn/

In an unofficial statement, Amtrak Guest Rewards says that their relationship with Chase is ending. I’ve heard this from two sources, but it hasn’t been stated publicly and could well wind up being premature (that the ink isn’t dry). For their part, Chase spokesman Rob Tacey simply replies,

We are not accepting new applications at this time for the Amtrak Rewards card.

(Amtrak promises an ‘official’ statement next week.)

I wonder why the AGR Site is still promoting the card?
Promoting with a divergent link. So they know you can't apply for one, but they won't say you can't get it.

Crazy, them folks.
Those AGR card promos only appear for members who already hold the card. Log out or log in as a member who does not have a linked AGR card (such as my wife), and there is no mention of the card on the site.
Although they may not be taking applications for new cards, they (AGR and Chase) want current card holders to keep charging away!

So, that's fine. I suppose that change is inevitable. Wonder how long you get to stay with Chase MC AGR. Are you done when your card expires? Auto transfer to new card?

So, that's fine. I suppose that change is inevitable. Wonder how long you get to stay with Chase MC AGR. Are you done when your card expires? Auto transfer to new card?
That would pretty much be upto what Amtrak chooses to negotiate with the outgoing and incoming vendors.

The expiration date is unlikely to play any role in when or whether you lose access to the points earning program. It exists primarily as a managed replacement schedule to help ensure the physical integrity of the card itself and serves to alert vendors and automated payment services of the absolute last possible date the card number can remain in effect. In terms of actual validity the expiration date is trumped by virtually every other consideration. It only comes into play in situations where no other factor has invalidated the card prior to expiration.

The ideal would be if AGR notifies us, when they are ready, that we will be receiving new cards that will replace our current AGR cards. No fuss. Like Jim Hudson, we are retirees on a small fixed income, and have cards from our local credit union. If all else fails (or in the interim between programs), we'll go back to using those. If we stop getting points with our Chase cards, back they go to Chase, with a letter.

The only thing that really worries me, is that Hubby says some airline (he can't remember which one) just flat discontinued their program for rewards points, and it was determined by the courts that the points already earned had no value. Pfffftt! Gone!

For now, I am just sitting tight and not buying any more points (already bought the max + bonus for this year, and redeemed them for the Big Trip next fall, ha!).

The ideal would be if AGR notifies us, when they are ready, that we will be receiving new cards that will replace our current AGR cards.
Yikes, no. Any new card needs to be on an opt-in, not an opt-out basis. I don't want to be signed up for a credit card until I have the chance to read the terms and conditions.

The ideal would be if AGR notifies us, when they are ready, that we will be receiving new cards that will replace our current AGR cards.
Yikes, no. Any new card needs to be on an opt-in, not an opt-out basis. I don't want to be signed up for a credit card until I have the chance to read the terms and conditions.
You're right about that!

Thanks Penny, looks like a New Agreement is being negotiated between AGR and the Card issuers! AUers will probably be among the first to know when new info is forthcoming!
I was looking at this Chase Amtrak rewards card before the applications disappeared and did not sign up.

I have a Barclays Arrival with free travel available and so I would have been better off using Barclays for the purchase. I was told the Amtrak rewards would have doubled existing rewards so I would have gained points on the credit card AND with the regular rewards program and if I did travel Amtrak frequently, I didnt do the comparison to the Barclays Arrival.

I dont really like additional cards and for many people he Barclays Arrival is actually more competitive than this Chase Amtrak card.

If Amtrak works out a deal with Barclays, perhaps existing Arrival customers could earn something extra for Amtrak or whatnot.

Amtrak should use Credit cards to maximize revenues like all other transportation firms. Even Delta and others always promote their credit cards. And work out a deal which is more favorable. Not disappointed I missed out on this card and I like the cards like Barclays Arrival which arent limited to specific travel firms.

As for the future, not sure what will happen but Amtrak can use numerous ways to increase revenue and could discontinue this card sucessfully. Doesnt even have to be a replacement card but individual agreements for promotionals with Visa or Mastercard, Amex or Discover and existing credit cards.

it was determined by the courts that the points already earned had no value. Pfffftt! Gone!
Yes. Sad to say, the IRS agrees. Though travel for business might be deductible, if you use any rewards for that travel, that portion is not deductible.
If the IRS had determined that loyalty points represented intrinsic negotiable value then you'd probably be paying taxes on them. #ThinkTwice

it was determined by the courts that the points already earned had no value. Pfffftt! Gone!
Yes. Sad to say, the IRS agrees. Though travel for business might be deductible, if you use any rewards for that travel, that portion is not deductible.
If the IRS had determined that loyalty points represented intrinsic negotiable value then you'd probably be paying taxes on them. #ThinkTwice
And then possibly write off value as points expire too. Oh boy, another two forms in the tax return. :) Or points could be taxed only upon exercise to acquire something of value based on the value if the things acquired. This avoids the issue of writing down the intrinsic value of points. An additional nightmare either way. And then you get to account for granted points and purchased points differently for tax purposes too, and for the second case only the difference between the value of the thing acquired and the amount paid for the points can be taxed or tax refunded, whichever way the difference goes. Oh joy!

Back