Amtrak Status Maps - Status

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As of this morning (12/7 - a day that will live in infamy ...) Amtrak has once again changed its web interface for obtaining train status. That shuts down the Status Maps, Alerts and the Station Status Boards. I don't have time to work on it today. It's going to take a couple of days to fix it - if that's even possible.

jb

I noticed it was acting flaky yesterday evening. Clicking on a train wouldn't do anything - for a while. Another train might pop up, but as often as not, it didn't.

It is definitely possible to fix it - not sure what you use besides the Status interface, but here's a sample I made to fetch the status for a train somewhere and parse it:

http://transitdocs.com/amtrak.php?train=66&date=20141207&city=NYP&depart=false

Does not currently handle service disruptions / cancellations, but it seems like it would be easy to implement if someone gave me an example of such a train.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of this morning (12/7 - a day that will live in infamy ...) Amtrak has once again changed its web interface for obtaining train status. That shuts down the Status Maps, Alerts and the Station Status Boards. I don't have time to work on it today. It's going to take a couple of days to fix it - if that's even possible.

jb
Hope you can update the software to work with the revised interface! Status Maps is a very useful app.

I offered John any help, too. I wasn't aware of the problem until I saw the ASM Database not updating overnight.

This formatting change can likely be accommodated given some time since the data is still retrievable.

I appreciate the offers for help, but the situation is fixable. My problem is that I had very little time to work on it yesterday (but I actually did get in two hours on it). Today is a work day, so hopefully I'll be able to finish the job by this evening.

jb

Well, it's running well enough to go back online - which we just did.

There will be errors I'm sure. If you'd like, just post them here. I'll work on them as they come in.

Thanks,

jb

I used to work for a man who's favorite saying was "you show me a system and I'll show you a way to beat it" Can't help much here as I am a hardware guy (not IT or software savvy) . Point is that nothing is impossible and thanks John for all that you have done for the Amtrak community. Your programs are so good that I've seen many of the SCA's and onboard staff use them. The Solari board was a great achievement and a terrific resource. I would approach Amtrak and try to sell them the idea!! Why would not any Amtrak traveler want to have this on their iPhone or Windows Laptop and Amtrak benefits when their customers use it?

Good work John. Looks even better than before.

(Maybe because most trains are 'in the green'.) :)

What everyone else said! Thanks so much.

"Status Maps" was an invaluable resource which allowed my wife to track where I was on our trip last fall.

That's exactly what I created it for. I needed a better way to keep track of my wife and daughter who were frequently running up and down the east coast on Amtrak - back in 2006.

jb

Tuesday, Dec.8, 2014, 0609 EST

Looks like Service Disruptions and probably Cancellations are not being recognized and presented correctly.

jb

Tuesday, Dec.8, 2014, 1031 EST Service Disruptions are working.

It's showing all the Empire Builders running right now as yellow or better. Are you _sure_ it's running properly? ;)

(thanks for the service!)

Thank you. I enjoy checking Amtrak Status Maps usually couple times daily looking forward to my next trip. Then I check YouTube for Amtrak videos around current location of my favorite trains.

7 a.m. Monday, 12.22.2014

The primary web hosting company went on the fritz last night. I'm switching to the secondary web hosting company.

jb

ps There seems to be some trouble with the secondary web host as well, so we have:

Maps - ok

Alerts - ok

Station Status Boards - down (most likely)

pps It's all back online now.

Yep. The technical term is that something went kerflooey again. I was out all day and nowhere near a computer in order to do anything about it. The system status is now (2.11 a.m. EST 12/24/2014)

Maps - ok

Alerts - ok

Station Status Boards - ok

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back