Amtrak Through Chesterton, Indiana?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think about 12 Amtrak trains per day. 2 Lake Shore Limited, 2 Capitol Limited, 2 Blue Water, 6 Wolverine.

The line viewed by the camera is only traveled by the Capitol Limited and the Lake Shore Limited, so only 4 trains/day at this point. Not too far west of that point, the Michigan trains also join/leave this line.

Also included on the site is a feed from Cresson, PA. I spotted the Pennsylvanian headed towards PGH yesterday.

Although the Michigan Services trains do not go past the Chesterton feed, you can hear the horn as they head north or west at Porter.

In answer to the OP's question. It's hard to gauge because both trains on the IN stream have been running quite late. What I do is keep an eye on the status maps and on the train tracker on Amtrak's main site.

Now, my own questions. Other than the two Pennsylvanian trains, are there any other Amtrak routes that Cresson are on? Also, does anyone know of other live streams along Amtrak routes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also included on the site is a feed from Cresson, PA. I spotted the Pennsylvanian headed towards PGH yesterday.

Although the Michigan Services trains do not go past the Chesterton feed, you can hear the horn as they head north or west at Porter.

In answer to the OP's question. It's hard to gauge because both trains on the IN stream have been running quite late. What I do is keep an eye on the status maps and on the train tracker on Amtrak's main site.

Now, my own questions. Other than the two Pennsylvanian trains, are there any other Amtrak routes that Cresson are on? Also, does anyone know of other live streams along Amtrak routes?
The Pennsylvanians are the only Amtrak trains that run past Cresson. 9:30am and 5:30pm if the trains are close to ontime. The Railstream videos also have a nice shot of Fostoria, Ohio at the railfan park there. This is a paid site and can only be seen with a subscription

The Pennsylvanians are the only Amtrak trains that run past Cresson. 9:30am and 5:30pm if the trains are close to ontime. The Railstream videos also have a nice shot of Fostoria, Ohio at the railfan park there. This is a paid site and can only be seen with a subscription
What other streams are on the subscription only portion of railstream?

The Chesterton and Cresson (free streams) cameras are located at old stations converted into bed and breakfasts. Being that I live two hours or less north of Chesterton, it's intriguing and someday I might check the B&B out.

What other streams are on the subscription only portion of railstream?

The Chesterton and Cresson (free streams) cameras are located at old stations converted into bed and breakfasts. Being that I live two hours or less north of Chesterton, it's intriguing and someday I might check the B&B out.
There are also cameras in Berea, Ohio, Grand Island Nebraska and a couple of spots in Illinois. We stay at the Station Inn B&B in Cresson several times each year and have a great time. Also stay at the Bridgeview B&B in Harrisburg near the Rockville Bridge. Both are great places to watch trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw a Amtrak train on the web cam for Chesterton, In. It went through at 11:45 PM est.

I got a chuckle out of the webcam since I know the location well (my parents had a Chesterton zip code for many years). The old station was a craft/gift store called "The Depot" or some such through the 80's and 90's. It's immediately adjacent to the town square. Porter is to the north (it's downtown is a bit west) - less than five minutes away. The cam faces northwest more or less towards the old Pioneer Lumberyard. I too have seen Amtrak running on these tracks - mostly in the past 15 or so years, I don't remember if there were any when I was a kid. The whole area between Valpo and the South Shore tracks is riddled with railroads converging to get around the lake into Chicago and there are a few abandoned rights of way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back